My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Rod Kaufman

May 15, 2005 02:40 PM Forum: Politics

Rice:"This war came to us"

Posted By Rod Kaufman

Ms Rice made a surprise visit to Iraq and stated, "This war came to us and not the other way around."
Well, it appears in the logic of the Bush policies that the fact that we invaded Iraq over non-existent WMDs is a non-item in the scheme of things and it was really 9-11 that caused Iraq to be attacked in the first place. According to Ms Rice, the non-freedom policies of governments in the middle east fomented the hatred that caused the planes to crash into buildings on a beautful summer day on 9-11. Thus, the war came to us and we had to attack Iraq. Just one little detail: Iraq didn't produce Al Queda or Bin Laden. It apears that they were all a bunch of haters in Iraq so they got what was coming to them. Now that we've spread freedom and democracy in Iraq, the hatred is: A. All gone B. Worse than ever C. The US made a very big mistake D. A&C
Answer: D.

June 1, 2005 12:38 PM Forum: Politics

Bush/Cheney: Slingin the Bull

Posted By Rod Kaufman

It was a real treat watching Cheney live on Larry King the other night. For starters, did you know we will win the war in Iraq by 2009? Dick says so. Funny, we don't don't have an exit plan for our troops but now that we know when we are going to win, don't you think we should have a plan to bring our troops home?
Bush did it even better the other day when he said the new Iraqi government was "plenty capable" in response to a question from a reporter on the matter. The officials from the Iraqi government don't seem to be able to open the doors of their own houses without being assassinated so let's just say the issue is equivocal at this point.
It gets even better on domestic issues. To hear Cheney tell it, you would think the Bush administration actually supports stem cell research. He touted the Bush funding of 512 million for outdated contaminated stem cells as Larry King noted California is funding several billion for new research and five or six other states are in the process of doing so. Of course Cheney failed to mention Bush has threatened to veto a stem cell research bill supported by his own party. In fact a conservative republican has threatened a filibuster to "save the president of the embarrassment of vetoing a bill supported by his own party."
All of this kind of reminds me of the recent visit to Iraq of Condy Rice who deftly stepped in. To it. As you may recall, Ms Rice told our troops,"this war came to us and not the other way around."
As Ray would say,"and the bleat goes on"...

June 2, 2005 09:55 AM Forum: Politics

Jobs Reductions Soar 42%

Posted By Rod Kaufman

The variability and fragility of the economy was starkly represented in the monthly May report as per CNN: Planned job cuts by employers soared 42%. "If job cuts do not lesson in June, July and August which are historically the lowest job-cuts months of the year, then it might be time to be concerned about the economy's strength."
Job creation, while improving, "is still well below the pace of previous recoveries" according to the report.
Throw in the ever increasing deficits and the increasing costs of oil and the economy can take a nose-dive, big time. It's no wonder the LA Times has called Bush's handling of the economy as "disastrous stewardship".

June 4, 2005 08:20 AM Forum: Star Parties

Pinos Warning June 4th

Posted By Rod Kaufman

Anybody planning to go to Pinos on Saturday June 4th be advised: Mountain search and rescue is looking for someone who got lost with lights, helicopters, and off-terrain vehicles.
Friday night was a zoo up there with a million scopes and mountain search and rescue. I left early at 10:30pm after managing a few good views of Jupiter and some glimpses of DSOs amid the lights and mayhem.

June 13, 2005 10:59 AM Forum: Politics

Brits: US Post-Iraqi War Plans Inadequate

Posted By Rod Kaufman

CNN website is reporting the Brits concluded eight months prior to the invasion of Iraq that US military officials were not planning adequately for a postwar occupation. In particular the report stated,"As already made clear, the US miltary plans are virtually silent on this point". "Washington could look to us to share a disproportionate share of the burden."
The report was prepared ahead of the now controversial downing street meeting and minutes which have been construed as implicating a manipulation of intelligence facts to support the need for war in Iraq.
It's now obvious that the British fears of inadequate post-war planning by the Bush administration were(are)accurate and one has to suspect the implications of the downing street meeting may be accurate as well...

June 16, 2005 05:17 PM Forum: Politics

"Freedom Fries" Lawmaker: Get an Iraqi Exit Plan!

Posted By Rod Kaufman

Walter Jones, the lawmaker from NC and famous for snubbing the French for refusing to support Bush's war in Iraq by renaming french fries "freedom fries" is now a major voice in calling for an Iraqi pullout plan. It appears he feels we've gone just about as far as we can go in Iraq and it time to devlop a plan to leave. I about fellout of my chair when I read this one.
Bush for his part, said to be worried about his dismal support in the polls in general and Iraq in particular, is planning another "stay the course" speech on the 28th, claiming all kinds of successes on the ground in Iraq. The latter appears to be yet another reality disconnect for Bush, as every recent account demonstrates an increasingly strong Iraqi insurgency.
Reports from Rumsfeld have stated "contacts" have begun between the new Iraqi government and the insurgents which are now deemed "necessary" whereas US policy has always been no negotiations with terrorists. And nevermind VP Dick's accounts of how the insurgency is in it's "last throes". If that were true, why try to compromise with them now? Why not "stay the course?" The Bush bull just doesn't add up...

June 20, 2005 10:29 AM Forum: Politics

McCain on Cheney on Iraq

Posted By Rod Kaufman

McCain called on the Bush administration to stop telling Americans victory is around the corner in Iraq. "What I think we should do is wait until we achieve successes, then celebrate them, rather than predict them. Because too often the prediction is not proven to be true", says McCain on "Meet the Press".
In an interview on Larry King Live, Cheney claimed the insurgency is in it's "last throes." Asked if he agreed with it, McCain stated, "no".
I reported the comments from Cheney in a post entitled, "Bush/Cheney Slingin the bull" and now we have further confirmation of it from a ranking member of armed services committee.
Bush is going to give his Iraq speech on the 28th equating the need for war in Iraq with the fight against terrorism, ie the latest evolution of the justification of the war effort wherein Iraq attacked us via 9-11. I suppose it's just a coincidence that the terror level went back-up to yellow this week...

June 20, 2005 01:08 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: Dealing with the Newport glass

Posted By Rod Kaufman

From what I've been told by an ATMer, most of the business newport does is commercial glassworks with a minor interest in astro materials. My buddy has been there and describes the place as a massive warehouse where he had to walk a lot just to find someone who helped him by a secondary for his 15" scope. I and some of my astro buddies have had their mirrors aluminized by them.
I would try the phone contacts again until you get satisfaction. It doesn't surprise me you have had communication problems with them although I read of such complaints with other vendors in these forums on a fairly frequent basis.

June 22, 2005 03:14 PM Forum: Politics

CIA Report on Iraq

Posted By Rod Kaufman

A new classified report by the CIA says, "Iraq could be an even more effective training ground for Islamic terrorists than Afghanistan under the Taliban."
The report discloses terrorists are "flocking to Iraq and gaining practical experience in urban combat techniques..." "Islamic terrorists are learing how to carry out assassinations, kidnappings, and car bombings."
Today on the morning commute, KNX news radio reported terrorists are utililzing more sophisticated improvised explosive devices similar to the one that blew an M1 tank 40 meters off a road last week.
All of this from an insurgency that Cheney say is "in it's last throes."

June 23, 2005 09:41 AM Forum: Politics

Eminent Domain

Posted By Rod Kaufman

In a 5 to 4 vote, the supreme court ruled cities know best and can demolish homes to make room for commercial development such as hotels,offices, businesses, etc.
Homeowners who are about to have their houses demolished to make room for a hotel complex argued the scope of eminent domain was provided for public works projects such as roads and freeways but not private enterprise.
In the minority opinion, the dissenting judges noted wealthy developers will be able influence city planners (as they most certainly do)and thereby invoke eminent domain at their whim.
I hope the judges who passed this boner have a walmart planted in what used to be their backyards and let them enjoy the fruits of their "wisdom"...