My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Rod Kaufman

July 9, 2004 02:52 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Meade, Celestron settle patent lawsuits

Posted By Rod Kaufman

From the LA Times,"Celestron agreed to pay Meade royalties equal to the greater of 100.00 per unit or 8% of Celestron's net revenue from telescopes that use technology developed by Meade to level the scopes and enable them to find true North".

August 18, 2004 06:55 PM Forum: Politics

Senior Republican Congressman Breaks Ranks on Iraq

Posted By Rod Kaufman

Rep. Doug Bereuter of Nebraska,who,until recently was the vice chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, stated in a letter to his constituents,"I've reached the conclusion...it was a mistake to launch that military action, especially without a broad and engaged international coalition". The cost in casulties is already large and growing, and the immediate and long-term costs are incredible".He further stated,"Left unresolved for now is whether intelligence was intentionally misconstrued to justify military action". Congressional republicans were reportedly surprised and angry at his comments. There was no response from the White House to his charges...

August 25, 2004 06:33 PM Forum: Politics

Bush Oil Policies Ruining Pristine Lands/Dark Skie

Posted By Rod Kaufman

The August 25 2004 edition of the Los Angeles Times carried an extensive article on the administration's policy of opening vast expanses of protected wilderness in Wyoming, New Mexico and Colorado to open drilling for oil.
Ranchers,farmers,hunters and fishermen,many of whom described themselves as staunch republicans, have denounced this activity and have registered their outrage at the Bush administration for initiating it at a torrid pace. Critics,moreover,note such activity will not decrease our dependence on foreign oil.
One of my favorite starting points for backpacking in the grand tetons is Pinedale Wyoming which now has oil rigs lit-up like christmas trees in the backyard of the national forest...so much for dark skies. The same thing is happening in New Mexico and in other areas of previously undisturbed natural habitat.
Bush, the oil companies favorite son at the helm...

August 28, 2004 08:35 AM Forum: Eyepieces

Re: Eyepieces that are absolutely NOT worth the bu

Posted By Rod Kaufman

I will second Floyd's vote on some poor eyepieces from Russel. The 18mm widefield has virtually no eye relief which was advertised by Russel as having much more. The 19mm is better in this regard but both of these designs suffer in a fast dob.
I've used the 7mm Seibert in my fast dob with success on the planets but I can't comment on the longer focal length models. I also agree with Floyd regarding the dim,poorly performing 7mm type 1 nagler, My Seibert 7mm outperformed it on DSOs!

August 30, 2004 02:59 PM Forum: Politics

Bush: "Afghanistan an arising democracy"

Posted By Rod Kaufman

Bush hailed Afghanistan as an "arising democracy" before a pro-Bush rally at a steel workers union in West Virginia.
Despite the scheduled "presidential" elections slated in Afghanistan in October, the country remains a feudal society ruled by warlords. The candidate with the backing of the largest and most powerful warlord will likely prevail as president and will hold power and policy as dictated by that warlord. At least that's the consensus of everyone of those who are familiar with the issue, everyone except for George Bush...

August 31, 2004 05:44 PM Forum: Politics

Would it not be ironic if:

Posted By Rod Kaufman

Would it not be ironic if Bush's lapses in cognitive thought processes were due, in part, to a prodromal stage of alzheimer's disease and his very own policies of opposing stem cell research delayed or prevented a cure from being developed?
Bush's lack of cognitive consistency is fairly routine and has been coined as "Bushisms" by many: latest example= one day the war against terrorism can't be won but the next day it is being won. It just goes on and on.
Perhaps not all of Bush's neurons are firing in sequential order. Perhaps it's pathological and is directly the result of a dried-up prune for a brain(lack of various neurotransmitters).
There has to be some explanation for his aberrant behavior...

September 1, 2004 02:24 PM Forum: Politics

"King George" and your rights

Posted By Rod Kaufman

News item:
A man was reported to the secret service by his neighbors for displaying a sticker that read:" King George-Off with his head!"
The secret service actually appeared and asked the man if he had terrorist connections! Moreover, they confiscated his sticker!
He's now filing a lawsuit...

September 2, 2004 09:07 AM Forum: Politics

Alien Signal

Posted By Rod Kaufman

CNN website is reporting the possibility of a signal from an alien source from deep space, picked up by one or more of the large array units.
I hope their politics are more advanced than our own...

September 2, 2004 10:43 PM Forum: Politics

Bush and the Jobs Report

Posted By Rod Kaufman

KNX news radio noted Bush had the Friday jobs report prior to delivering his speech as he receives it 16 hours before we do. Wall street was said to be carefully watching his speech for indications of what may occur with the jobs report.It appears the job report is going to tank as Bush said one line to the effect of we are creating jobs but nothing more. If the report is going to be positive, one would suspect Bush would have presented it with glee at the covention. Instead we got his usual story about creating lost jobs with some unspecified venture in going back to school to learn new skills at a junior college, whatever that may be. If the job report turns out to be positive, one might wonder why Bush did not seize the opportunity to push his agenda...

September 5, 2004 03:05 PM Forum: Politics

Attack Ad Vets/Bush

Posted By Rod Kaufman

AP: "Two former Vietnam POWs who appear in ads attacking Kerry were appointed by the Bush administration to a panel advising the department of veteran affairs".
That's low, even for the Bush administration. One of them quit the Bush campaign's veteran's steering committee after the role was revealed.