New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Rod Kaufman

January 30, 2004 05:49 AM Forum: Eyepieces

Opinions - Antares UltraWide's & Antares W70's

Posted By Rod Kaufman

John,
The ultrawides appear to be identical with the orion expanse and adorama pro-optic eyepieces. You can read a review of the expanse eyepieces on the cloudy nights reviews which has a thorough discussion of these eyepieces. Some amateurs complain about ghosting in the expanse-pro-optic-ultrawide series. My 6mm pro-optic eyepiece reveals nice color on Saturn in my 16" dob but will ghost on the edges but is ok on-axis. I like my 8.6mm 70 degree antares eyepiece which has better coatings than my 6mm pro-optic ultrawide but it appears there's variation in these coatings--don't want to re-start that discussion again!

February 2, 2004 08:14 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Re: Nagler 16 T-2

Posted By Rod Kaufman

Floyd,
It seems quite odd that the nagler doesn't have a coating, are you seeing significant reflections from the eyelens if the bottom lens is capped? It should look dark and without reflections.Don't know quite to what to make of this one! As far as the orion eyepiece is concerned, I am assuming it's not the wideangle version so $35.00 would be fair for this focal length and condition. The 4mm version(vixen) goes for around $70.00 used but the longer focal lengths seem to go for less. I will say the 4mm vixen is an underated planetary/double star eyepiece and everytime I want to buy it used, it's been sold!

February 8, 2004 07:37 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Scopetronix 2" Barlow

Posted By Rod Kaufman

Jeffrey,
I have the same barlow which I bought for less at Owl Services for $59.00. It's an excellent barlow and cleans-up the edges on my TAL 24mm 2" eyepiece in my fast F4.5 16" dob. It comes with a 1.25" adapter and is threaded for filters. It's a shinning star in a world of dim barlows. PS If you do buy one from Owl Services, you need to call them and ask for it as it's not on their website.

February 13, 2004 11:02 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Your most used Eyepiece?

Posted By Rod Kaufman

Most used eyepiece in my collection: Pentax 10.5mm XL.

February 23, 2004 08:26 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Meade Series 4000 datas needed

Posted By Rod Kaufman

Levente,
The meade super plossls have five elements as opposed to four in the conventional plossl design so the field is corrected for aberrations to a better degree. I personally prefer the antares ultima/ orion ultrascopic plossls and the televues. I think the antares ultimas represent the best values and you can get them for about $66.00 new at Meridian Telescopes or less used on AM. The eye relief is high on the long focal length plossls and short below 12mm but useable. If you need high eye relief in a premium ocular, the pentax Xls or XWs are the ones to get.

March 5, 2004 08:03 PM Forum: Eyepieces

UO Orthos vs. Orion Ultrascopics.

Posted By Rod Kaufman

Floyd,
Your 12.5" dob is really looking good. I am glad to know it's meeting your expectations. I looked at the trapezium with my 16" dob at Pinos in January and the 10mm ultra and my pentax 10.5mm xl gave nearly identical views with the components being well-resolved. I will have to test them with my 12.5" if I get the opportunity to do so.

March 5, 2004 06:32 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Scopetronix 2" Barlow

Posted By Rod Kaufman

Jeff,
I am glad to know you like the barlow. I recommended it from Owl Services as it priced at least $20.00 less than the equivalent barlow at scopetronix. It has very good light-throughput and appears to be a bit brighter than my orion 1.25" apo barlow. All barlows dim the image but this seems to be less of a problem with this particular 2" barlow. It also clean-up the edges in my 2" TAL 24mm widefield eyepiece.

March 6, 2004 10:11 PM Forum: Eyepieces

12.5" Discovery

Posted By Rod Kaufman

Chas,
I have the Discovery 12.5" truss dob and a variety of eyepieces to go with it. If planetary viewing is important to you, the UO orthoscopics are superb and relatively inexpensive. If you are after both the planets and DSOs, you can try the antares ultima plossls which are the same as the orion ultrascopics but cost less--check-out their prices at astronomics, meridian and e-scopes. If you need eye relief, consider the celestron xcels at adorama. Also, if you like the plossls that come with your scope, you can get more at owl services at a variety of focal lengths at three for $69.00. I think these may be better than the plossls that come with your scope and have a wider field.

March 8, 2004 02:11 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Extreme Makeover Home --Meade

Posted By Rod Kaufman

Guy,
It doesn't surprise me. Some people are ignorant and don't bother to read their instruction manuals. I bought a celestron 4.5" goto from Costco for my daughter and looked at the celestron website and noted much of it was devoted to identifying which end was the eyepiece end!
When I had my 16" truss dob at Mt Pinos, Ca last January, some people identified it as a snow-making machine!

March 22, 2004 09:38 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Grinding Tips

Posted By Rod Kaufman

Rick,
Get the book, "All About Telescopes" from Edmund Scientific. It will walk you through the process and includes foucalt masks you can cut-out or duplicate and are most-helpful in the figuring stage. It also includes the actual appearance of the markings/lines from a foucalt tester for a 6" F-8 mirror. This was my top pick for a text on mirror-making many years ago when I made a 6" F-8 and an 8"F-6. I was pleased to find it's still in print and I just ordered one for myself. Thompson's, "Making Your Own Telescope" is very good and is back in print from Sky Publishing (Sky and Telescope).