New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Rod Kaufman

October 29, 2020 09:20 PM Forum: Politics

Every American who cares about our Future should watch this

Posted By Rod Kaufman

Originally Posted by Darian Rachal

Yes, I heard him make that point. My faith may be misguided, but I have faith that the American voting public will see the danger of the Democrat platform.

Listening to a bit of Trump at one of his rallies today, he definitely doesn't sound like a candidate whose defeat is inevitable. smile
The Democrats aren't the one trying to squelch voting, Darian:
"Supreme Court rejects second GOP effort to block mail-ballot extension in North Carolina"
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/523407-supreme-court-rejects-second-gop-effort-to-block-mail-ballot-extension-in

October 29, 2020 10:31 PM Forum: Politics

Posted By Rod Kaufman

Originally Posted by James Brown

Hi Darian:

If Trump is confident that he can win FL, OH, GA and NC like last time, then this race could very well be a toss-up.  Did you mess around with the link I posted earlier?  It is surprising to me how close the race might be - if the polls are off again.

Jim
I posted the contrarian view that Trump will win the election in another thread. Nobody took me up on it. Here's the flip side of the coin:

https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/523302-i-predict-that-trump-will-lose-the-election

October 30, 2020 01:36 AM Forum: Politics

The Latest French Beheadings

Posted By Rod Kaufman

Turning to international events, France has incurred it's second beheading today at the hands of another terrorist in addition to the beheading there a week ago along with knifings of its citizens. In response, France closed one Mosque where one terrorist apparently was inspired to the go on a chop chop spree and the French president declared France will not give into Islamic terrorism. In response, he drew swift condemnation from the Islamic world, notably from Erdogan from Turkey and the former PM of malaysia who insists Muslims have a right to kill French citizens:
https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20201029-malaysian-ex-pm-mahathir-says-muslims-have-right-to-kill-french
What y'all say about that "right"? 

October 30, 2020 02:10 AM Forum: Politics

Post Election Civil Unrest

Posted By Rod Kaufman

"“Talk of an impending civil war, depending on the election results and the taking back of America have certainly dominated those far-right corners.”
"Burghart said his team has been monitoring the rhetoric at recent large gathering, on social media, walkie talkie apps and on HAM radios."
https://komonews.com/news/elections/law-enforcement-agencies-prepare-for-potential-unrest-after-nov-3-election
and:
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/523509-california-governor-preparing-state-for-civil-unrest-following-election

October 30, 2020 03:20 AM Forum: Politics

Posted By Rod Kaufman

Originally Posted by Darian Rachal

Jim, I'm sure it was an interesting link, but to be quite honest, I have about as much interest in poll numbers as I do virus numbers, which I'm sure you know is very little. The only number I'm interested in at this point is Trump getting the required electoral votes to win reelection.smile
That happens to be Trump's only interest, too:
"A CNN investigation of 17 Trump campaign rallies finds that 14 of the host counties -- 82% of them -- had an increased rate of new Covid-19 cases one month after the rally."
"The 17 rallies occurred between August 17 and September 26. CNN evaluated the rate of new daily cases per 100,000 residents at four weeks before the rally, on the rally date, and four weeks after the rally at the county level and at the state level."
"Of the 14 host counties that had increased infection rates, eight of the counties had declining rates of infection in the month before the rally. The other six counties already had increasing rates of infection in that preceding month."
https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/29/health/covid-trump-rallies-counties-cases/index.html

October 30, 2020 03:46 AM Forum: Politics

Looking At the Trumptoid 98% Covid Recovery Claim...

Posted By Rod Kaufman

First, of course, it's BS. But let's assume for a moment that it's correct. First, it would make Covid 19 about ten times more lethal than the seasonal flu. "Even a 1% mortality rate (99% survival rate) would mean that a disease is 10-times more lethal than the seasonal flu. If everyone in the country contracted COVID-19, that rate would lead to about 3,300,000 American deaths." "the current mortality rate in the U.S. is 5.9%, which puts the survival rate at 94.1%. Johns Hopkins University, which uses the same method, currently lists the U.S. rate at 6%." "But even these researchers acknowledge that during a pandemic, the rate of case fatalities is a "poor measure of the mortality risk of the disease." That’s partly because the actual number of cases is hard to determine without widespread testing." 
The former director of the CDC believes, as do other experts, that the current number of deaths due to Covid 19 is actually much higher than reported so the disease is even more lethal than the figures above, as bad as they are, would indicate.
https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/may/07/facebook-posts/facebook-post-shares-flawed-covid-19-survival-stat/

October 30, 2020 03:40 PM Forum: Politics

"Originalist" Judges Decide Minnesota Voters Rights

Posted By Rod Kaufman

The scenario: Two Republican electors go to the two Trump appointed Federal judges on their appellate court in order to block(what else is new)the voters from having their mailed-in ballots count if they arrive after the post marked date on the ballot even though they were mailed in on time. The two "originalist" judges approve the ban because "the constitution does not provide a pandemic exception." The third judge dissents to no avail.
There you have it, yup there's no pandemic exception in the constitution. Nevermind they didn't even know what a pandemic is when they wrote the constitution. How about pre-flight federal regulations requiring pre-flight inspections before you board your next flight. They're not in the constitution either. Better ban those, too...

October 30, 2020 05:52 PM Forum: Politics

Posted By Rod Kaufman

Rod:

The critical question is this:  What does the law say in the applicable state?  

Your favorite source, CNN, says that the law in Minnesota is that ballots must be received by COB on election day.  (Same as Colorado by the way).

"The court found the Minnesota secretary of state's accommodation went against a state law that said ballots delivered by mail to elections officials after 8 p.m. on Election Day should be marked late.

"The Secretary's instructions to count mail-in ballots received up to seven days after Election Day stand in direct contradiction to Minnesota election law governing presidential elections," the ruling stated."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/29/politics/minnesota-mail-in-ballots/index.html

So it looks like we have a duly passed Minnesota law that says the ballots have to be received by COB on election day, but a rogue Secretary of State decided to unilaterally extend that window by a week.  I wonder what party that Secretary of State represents?

In this instance, your "originalist judges" are absolutely correct.  There is nothing in the Constitution that would cause this duly-passed Minnesota law to be unconstitutional.   So the law stands as written.  Score one for the "originalists."  I can imagine an activist judge might say something to the contrary, something along the lines of: "Hey, the plain language of the law is that the ballots have to be received by COB on election day.  But I, in my immense wisdom, am going to unilaterally suspend that law and overrule the legislature because of the pandemic."  

I hope you agree that this hypothetical would be inappropriate judicial activism.

Thanks for posting a very useful example.

Jim
I think the differential point here is, "Simon noted that while ballots received after 8 p.m. on Election Day must be segregated, it is undecided whether those votes ultimately will count toward the election total. Election officials are still allowed to count but not tabulate ballots received after the deadline, so it is possible that there will be two final tallies: ballots that made it in before 8 p.m. and those that didn't, he said."  "Secretary of State Steve Simon noted, in frustration, that oral arguments in the case were held on Tuesday during a conference call, the very last day the Postal Service said a ballot could be postmarked and guaranteed to be delivered by Election Day. “I had hoped and reasoned that if the 8th Circuit was going to change a vitally significant deadline, like acceptance of ballots—if they were inclined to do that, I would hope they would have done it an hour after the hearing, even if it was a one-line order,” Simon said ahead of ruling. “It would be tremendously disruptive at this point … to issue an order overturning Minnesota’s postmark rule.” But the disruption is the point after all." "A previous version of this story incorrectly said the judges ruled the state must reject ballots that arrive after 8 p.m. on Election Day. This story has been updated to reflect that judges predicted ballots received after Election Day could ultimately be invalidated and ordered them to be kept separate." So the ultimate fate of those votes is still undecided at this point.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/federal-court-rules-minnesota-must-reject-ballots-received-after-election-day/2020/10/29/85030e76-1a46-11eb-82db-60b15c874105_story.html

October 30, 2020 07:20 PM Forum: Politics

Posted By Rod Kaufman

Jim, ultimately this whole deal was brought forth by Republicans to thwart the vote. This is the same motivation that moved Abbott to limit the drop off boxes to one per county and now to remove a mask mandate at the polls in Texas so poll workers and voters aren't required to wear a mask which is crazy at a time when new infections in the country are exceeding 75,000 per day. Whatever they can do to inhibit voters they will do. Finally, I looked but I couldn't find the opinion of the dissenting judge in Minnesota and I'm curious what her rationale is for denying the Republican challenge...

October 30, 2020 08:13 PM Forum: Politics

Posted By Rod Kaufman

Or it was brought by Republicans to support the rule of law. 

How would these alleged Republicans know that the tiny percentage of MN voters who couldn't be bothered to get their votes in on time would skew D anyway?  
Because this is a Republican tactic in multiple states.