My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Rod Kaufman

June 17, 2022 03:59 AM Forum: Politics

A Struggle to Watch Hearings

Posted By Rod Kaufman

Breaking news: the DOJ is requesting all depositions taken by the Jan 6 committee! Yea!!!

June 17, 2022 04:27 AM Forum: Politics

Posted By Rod Kaufman

Originally Posted by Mel Maki

Could this stretch things enough that nov elections could interfere?
One has nothing to do with the other. The DOJ will still be there even if the Jan 6 committee members are not. The DOJ is entirely independent of congress and makes its own decision on whether or not to prosecute.

June 17, 2022 10:48 PM Forum: Politics

Posted By Rod Kaufman

Originally Posted by Greg Shaffer

They would love to cause legal problems though I think thats a long shot. Popularity problems is the real goal......Given this is primarily just impeachment part III with the hope of keeping him from running again.
"They would love to cause legal problems though I think thats a long shot."
What?! Trump already HAS a ton of legal problems! I guess they don't cover that on conservative blogs...

June 24, 2022 05:15 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Custom Mirror Cell

Posted By Rod Kaufman

Originally Posted by Bob MacArthur
Hello,

I am looking at getting a custom mirror cell with a whiffletree design made for my 16" AstroSystem Telekit.  Any suggestions would be great.

Keep Looking Up,

Bob
I have a 16" astrosystems Telekit. Why not use the cell that comes with it? Works fine...

June 25, 2022 07:22 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Custom Mirror Cell

Posted By Rod Kaufman

Originally Posted by Bob MacArthur
How is the cooling time?  Who made your mirror and how thick is it?

I’m getting a Lockwood 16” and Mike Lockwood strongly suggested getting a new mirror cell that was more open for temperature equalization.  He also said the wiffletree will provide more mirror support then the strap or cable.

Keep Looking Up,
Bob
My 16" mirror is 1.6" thick, pyrex, f4.5, made by Ed Jones, an optical engineer and contributor to the cloudy nights ATM forum.
https://opticaleds.com/optical-testing-and-mirror-refiguring-2/
While he continues to provide free mirror testing as a service to the amateur community, I don't think he does anything beyond that at this time. 
I can generally get the mirror cooled from a warm SoCal garage to outside temps suitable for viewing in about 20 minutes. The standard cell has ventilation holes that allow for about 30% passive cooling and I leave the fan run all night and recharge the internal batteries on the following day. I have not seen any issues with either collimation or aberrations associated with this cell and I've used it a lot for many years, in many orientations from the scope pointed horizontal to vertical at the zenith. I'd contact Randy at Astrosystems and inform him of Lockwood's concerns and ask for his opinion on your particular situation.

June 19, 2022 01:34 AM Forum: Politics

How Much Biden's 1.9 Trillion American Plan Added To Inflation...

Posted By Rod Kaufman

"Mark Zandi, chief economist at Moody’s Analytics, estimated this past week that the rescue package added 0.1 percentage points to year-over-year inflation, well behind shocks caused by the war in Ukraine, the pandemic and the affordable housing crisis."
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/3528230-how-much-does-bidens-1-9t-bill-have-to-do-with-inflation/

June 20, 2022 02:16 AM Forum: Politics

Posted By Rod Kaufman

"My main basis for saying this is that other wealthy countries, without remotely comparable stimulus packages, have seen comparable jumps in their inflation rates,"
Economist Dean Baker.
https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2022/apr/20/jane-timken/bidens-american-rescue-plan-fueled-inflation-so-di/
and:
https://www.vox.com/23036340/biden-american-rescue-plan-inflation

June 20, 2022 03:25 AM Forum: Politics

Posted By Rod Kaufman

Originally Posted by Richard Davis
Well what is it??  Your first link idiotically claimed that the portion of the 8.6% increase was only

Well what is it?? 

Your first link from Mark Zandi idiotically claimed that amount of inflation caused by Biden's $1.9 Trillion spending only added O.1% inflation to the nation.

So then your next link, Dean Baker says that the $1.9 Trillion in spending that Biden did cause 1/2 of the inflation number, or for the math illiterate like yourself, means that Biden's spending caused 4.3% inflation.

So what is it? 

Did Biden's spending cause a 0.1%  inflation, or did it cause 4.3% inflation to the nation.

You have 2 completely contradictory links.  

One of your guys, Mark Zandi said Biden caused inflation of 0.1%. 

Your other guy, Dean Baker said Biden caused inflation of 4.3%

Go ahead and tell us the answer.  Which is it Einstein?  
I think Zandi's assessment is more accurate because it's based upon more recent data. And Baker's point is still correct in that other countries have comparable levels of inflation without a comparable plan.

June 20, 2022 07:21 AM Forum: Politics

Posted By Rod Kaufman

Originally Posted by Richard Davis

So in other words, you haven't a clue, like always.

Baker's point isn't what you decide it is.

Let me ask again, since you can't seem to discern that 0.1% inflation is a far cry from 4.3% inflation.

You can't have it both ways.  I'll state this fact again, your links are utterly incompatible from fact.

One guy says that Biden's spending caused only 0.1% inflation and you put that forth as fact.

Then your other guy said that Biden's spending caused about 4.3% inflation, and you put his article forth as fact.

Which is an indicator to most people with a functioning cerebral cortex that what they are putting forth is conjecture and guessing games.

The fact is that you want to distort with horseshit and guessing games the simple point that under Joe Biden and the Democrats, inflation is not transitory, nor is it someone else's fault.  

It is the fault of the administration and the party in charge of everything.

And inflation is at a 41 year high in this country with no signs that it is ceasing.

Also, the moron that you voted into office gets out in front of the world in all his psychotic lunacy and says that the country is doing great economically, when our previous quarter showed negative growth.

Now we all realize that morons on the left believe his bullshit, because they don't have functioning cerebral cortexes like the rest of the sane world has. 

I'm sure you believe anything that his supporters tell you to believe.  
I didn't decide what Baker's point is, I quoted him. And coming from the con-clown who believes in the big lie that the election was stolen and that the movie, "2000 mules" is legit, it's quite obvious who the moron is...

June 19, 2022 07:00 AM Forum: Sports

A Tribute To Sandy Koufax

Posted By Rod Kaufman

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/sports/dodgers-unveil-sandy-koufax-statue-at-dodger-stadium/2920154/
and:
https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/sports/dodgers-unveil-sandy-koufax-statue-at-dodger-stadium/2920154/