My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Rod Kaufman

June 23, 2022 10:33 PM Forum: Politics

Wall Street Journal on Jan 6 hearings

Posted By Rod Kaufman

Talk about twisted logic: "Fox News anchor Bret Baier praised the elected Republicans, state officials and local elections workers who have testified before the House select committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol in recent days."
“This testimony shows not only the Arizona House speaker — all of the state officials, these officials in [the Department of Justice], who again were working for President Trump, stood up saying, ‘we have an oath to the Constitution,'”
Ok, so they all stood up and took a position against Trump's fraudulent attempt and pressure campaign to overturn the results of a legitimate election. And based on the fact that they did, Trump did not overturn the election and, therefore, the Democrats on the committee are wrong and the country and Tump did not come close to overturning the results of the 2020 election! 
https://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/media/3535023-fox-newss-bret-baier-patriots-testifying-before-jan-6-panel-stood-up-to-trumps-bid-to-overturn-election/
Ya gotta hand it to a Fox news commentator to confuse and obscuate the findings thus far of the Jan 6 committee...

June 24, 2022 06:30 PM Forum: Politics

Wall Street Journal on Jan 6 hearings

Posted By Rod Kaufman

Originally Posted by Mel Maki

And a lot of people think the Dems on the committee are wrong and that Trump did not come close to overturning the results.
And a lot of people thought Nixon shouldn't have resigned and/or faced impeachment, either. Afterall, it wasn't his fault his fellow Republicans in the WH finked on him...

June 24, 2022 06:35 PM Forum: Politics

Good News

Posted By Rod Kaufman

The Cons on the court overturned 50 years of modern precedent in a decision that the vast majority of American don't like and don't want. Now, Thomas is calling for overturning contraceptive and other rights:
https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/3535841-thomas-calls-for-overturning-precedents-on-contraceptives-lgbtq-rights/
Talk about legislating from the bench...

June 25, 2022 12:22 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Custom Mirror Cell

Posted By Rod Kaufman

Originally Posted by Bob MacArthur
How is the cooling time?  Who made your mirror and how thick is it?

I’m getting a Lockwood 16” and Mike Lockwood strongly suggested getting a new mirror cell that was more open for temperature equalization.  He also said the wiffletree will provide more mirror support then the strap or cable.

Keep Looking Up,
Bob
My 16" mirror is 1.6" thick, pyrex, f4.5, made by Ed Jones, an optical engineer and contributor to the cloudy nights ATM forum.
https://opticaleds.com/optical-testing-and-mirror-refiguring-2/
While he continues to provide free mirror testing as a service to the amateur community, I don't think he does anything beyond that at this time. 
I can generally get the mirror cooled from a warm SoCal garage to outside temps suitable for viewing in about 20 minutes. The standard cell has ventilation holes that allow for about 30% passive cooling and I leave the fan run all night and recharge the internal batteries on the following day. I have not seen any issues with either collimation or aberrations associated with this cell and I've used it a lot for many years, in many orientations from the scope pointed horizontal to vertical at the zenith. I'd contact Randy at Astrosystems and inform him of Lockwood's concerns and ask for his opinion on your particular situation.

June 25, 2022 04:54 PM Forum: Politics

Good News

Posted By Rod Kaufman

Originally Posted by James Lacey

The heartbeat act is indeed still in effect, but at this point, it's mainly moot. Texas has a trigger law that will ban all abortions at the moment of fertilization, with exceptions only for the pregnant person's health.

Plan B types of medications are still legal, and we can certainly expect their use to skyrocket now. Over time, even more, Plan B medications will emerge, and as long as the FDA approves them, there is bupkiss the Supreme Court or States can do about it. One such drug is mifepristone, which can be used in the first ten weeks of pregnancy. Honestly, this ruling has done little more than create a ton of chaos and marginalized the most vulnerable among us even further. I'm confident that Republicans will also pay a high political cost for it. The right-wingers have also now lost a significant political carrot too. 
I'd add that the public's perception of the supreme court, commonly referred to these days as the Thomas court, will sink from floating in the toilet to an actual flush and, therefore, the credibility of it is unlikely to remerge for years to come. At worst, we've witnessed the actions of the court from limiting voting rights to overturning Roe v Wade and at best, we will see the results on their actions in the political arena with the consequences aptly noted in your post...   

June 26, 2022 05:43 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Encoder wiring

Posted By Rod Kaufman

Originally Posted by Martin Collins
What size and type of wires that goes to the encoders and to dsc if anyone knows please
I think it depends on the type of encoder and DSC and who made it and when it was made. I doubt there's one generic answer that applies to all. I'd recommend contacting the maker of the product to be certain.

June 26, 2022 05:49 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Sky-Wather Star Adventure GTI mount - maximum telescope size

Posted By Rod Kaufman

Originally Posted by Johnny Golden
Good evening!
I've got a bit of a compatibility question and i'm hoping someone here has a sky-watcher star adventure gti mount. My telescope is a William Options Gran Turismo 71mm. I was planning on using teh Star ADventurer GTI mount as a tracking mount to do some astro photography with the WO scope. The mount claims to support up to 11lbs, which is well within range of the WO GT 71. But i'll be using a CMOS camera, and a small camera for a guide scope, and the WO reducer/flattener. I have a feeling i'll be pushing slightly over that 11lbs. The scope is only 420mm and is pretty short. But i'm wondering if anyone has used this mount with a similar sized scope and equipment? 

thanks,
John
See/hear the comments on this unit from Ed Ting, a noted equipment reviewer, on his youtube video beginning 12:08:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VhOaHMUaAk&t=33s

June 27, 2022 12:36 AM Forum: Politics

Steps towards Theocracy... what's up next?

Posted By Rod Kaufman

Originally Posted by James Lacey

Lots of people are noticing that Thomas didn't include Loving vs. Virginia in his list of due process cases to reconsider.

Loving v. Virginia, 388 U.S. 1 (1967), was a landmark civil rights decision of the U.S. Supreme Court in which the Court ruled that laws banning interracial marriage violate the Equal Protection and Due Process Clauses of the Fourteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

I'm sure they have some nuanced argument for why Loving v. Virginia was not included, but it is hard to not notice the obvious omission.
GOP lawmaker introduces and thanks Trump on victory "for white life "!
https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2022/06/26/mary-miller-slip-up-trump-rally-abortion-newsroom-sot-vpx.cnn

June 27, 2022 05:37 PM Forum: Politics

Good News

Posted By Rod Kaufman

Originally Posted by James Brown

First I've heard that one.  Ever.  Seriously.  James, Greg, Jim, Dave, Richard, anyone...  Have you heard of the Court being referred to as the Thomas Court?   
It's been referred as such by various pundits in the media. “This was clearly a rough term, but here is the capstone piece of evidence of just how little this is still the Roberts court,..."
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/06/25/chief-john-roberts-court-00039237
And:  "One might now call it the Kavanaugh Court or the Alito Court or even the Thomas Court, inasmuch as Justice Clarence Thomas is now the senior member of the Court’s right wing, and thus has the power to decide who will write for the Court whenever the Chief is not in the majority."
https://verdict.justia.com/2022/04/14/the-chief-justices-dissents-confirm-hes-not-in-charge-lets-just-call-it-the-mcconnell-court

June 27, 2022 08:19 PM Forum: Politics

Good News

Posted By Rod Kaufman

Originally Posted by Richard Davis

He just makes things up as he goes along.  Not unusual for him.  Perhaps CNN told him that.  Otherwise I have no idea where he comes up with this kind of nonsense.
Evidently you can't comprehend post #38, assuming you even read it...