Posts Made By: Rod Kaufman

September 9, 2004 11:39 PM Forum: Politics

Bush and Junior Colleges

Posted By Rod Kaufman

As Bush outlined his plans for an economic recovery during his speech in the republican convention, he made references to the utilization of junior colleges to re-train our work force so our workers are as good as any in the world.
I recall some perplexed looks from the faces of cowboy-hatted women from Texas when Bush described his "plan" although they turned to sloppy smiles as Bush made reference to his Texas walking style.
I don't understand what skills or jobs Bush thinks junior colleges can provide for workers whose jobs have been eliminated from outsourcing and/or corporate downsizing. In reviewing the curriculum of various junior colleges, it appears the JCs provide pre-requisites for four year institutions and vocational training. Bush made reference to obtaining an AA degree from a JC so it appears vocational training is the ticket for the displaced american worker. It appears,however, that the vocational training is rather limited and varies with the curriculum of the JC from location to location.There does not appear to be any consistent source of job skills from JC to JC. One JC might offer registered nursing but how many displaced steel workers are going to become RNs? It just does not make any sense to me. Yet, this is the idea that is offered by Bush. It appears this idea exists in his mind but does not and can not exist in the real world.
I believe JCs offer valuable vocational training but not to the depth as suggested by Bush.
I had to obtain a master of science degree to advance in my career and I just do not envision junior colleges providing the careers for displaced workers as Bush would have us believe. Comments?

September 10, 2004 05:34 AM Forum: Politics

Kerry: out of Iraq in 4 yrs???

Posted By Rod Kaufman

I have not yet heard Kerry's remarks on a four year timeline for a pullout from Iraq. However, I suspect it may happen anyway because Bush will probably be elected again and, at the end of his next term, if we are not already out of Iraq, the people will be so fed-up that the candidate that promises to get us out of there will be elected to office. So, you see, it's going to happen anyway...

September 11, 2004 03:16 AM Forum: Politics

Republicans let assault weapons ban lapse

Posted By Rod Kaufman

The great news is Bush and the republicans are going to let the ban on assault weapons lapse. Awesome! You can buy your very own assault weapon--you know, the ones with the thirty round banana clips(on second thought,make that fifty!). Nevermind that the cheap chinese SKSs and russian variants are inaccurate for target shooting and game hunting,we all know how effective they are at CLOSE RANGE! We should be able to get them,perhaps, by the end of November or December, just in time for the holidays! Be the first on your block! Maybe we can set-up a business deal with a fledgling Iraqi capitalist and import them for sale, with incentives, in one of Bush's "opportunity zones"! They will stimulate you and the economy! What can be greater than that? Afterall, if the terrorists have them, why shouldn't we?

September 14, 2004 12:28 AM Forum: Politics

It became necessary to destroy Falluja in order to

Posted By Rod Kaufman

As US fighter bombers drop ordinance in and around Falluja, the outgoing marine commander questions the US strategy. The iraqi brigade that was supposed to take over has been dissolved and most of their weapons are now in the hands of the insurgents. The commander believes a bigger fight is looming.
"Those that fail to learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them".

September 16, 2004 09:27 PM Forum: Politics

Re: Attacks on Iran Nuclear Facilities being debat

Posted By Rod Kaufman

It does not seem remotely possible we can be out of Iraq in one year as suggested in this forum. The Brookings institute estimates the number of insurgents in Falluja to be about 20,000 while half of the entire country is outside of the control of US/coalition forces. This is the quagmire Rumsfeld told us we are not in.
There have been discussions in various political forums suggesting Israel should hit the nuclear plant in Iran since the iranian missiles can hit Israel. Israel would then be the fall guy for the US as the rest of the world would condemn it as a "threat to world peace".

September 16, 2004 09:54 PM Forum: Politics

Intelligence Report"Iraq Prospects Bleak"

Posted By Rod Kaufman

CNN website is reporting a classified intelligence report noting the "pessimistic" situation in Iraq relative to stability and civil war. This report was in Bush's hands as he expressed his optimism for Iraq...

September 17, 2004 05:40 AM Forum: Politics

Bush Hawks Up to Something

Posted By Rod Kaufman

I see Time magazine is reporting hawks in the Bush administration are claiming their "latest intelligence" demonstrate banned weaponry in Iraq exists. They are waiting for the opportune time to present their "smoking gun" evidence for Bush to offer to the rest of us.
Let me see, teams of unbiased weapons inspectors comb Iraq and can't find any evidence of weapons of mass destruction but Bush's team now has "smoking gun" evidence of some sort. Why isn't this evidence being shared with the public today? Why isn't Tony Blair proclaiming he was right afterall? If it's timed to help support Bush, isn't it just a political go go act? The Bush team, at it again...

September 18, 2004 04:17 PM Forum: Politics

Pre-emptive Hypocrisy

Posted By Rod Kaufman

Bush has now taken the other side of the coin and made it his own argument for his war in Iraq. After months of extolling "arising democracy" in Iraq and Afghanistan, HE is now warning of increased violence in both countries! HE has now "discovered" the UN and his fellow republicans will go to the UN on Tuesday as per CNN. Another Bush horse and pony show before the election! HE has taken the initiative to "challenge" world leaders to create peace in Iraq!

September 18, 2004 09:33 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

I'm Back! Did ya miss me?

Posted By Rod Kaufman

Welcome back Floyd, I was wondering why it so quiet around here!
It seems like you enjoyed your time there although it appears seeing conditions could have been better. I was hoping to try Pinos tonight as the clear sky clock indicated superb conditions for Saturday but the clock did a flip-flop and now the conditions are in the pits. Maybe next time...

September 19, 2004 04:51 PM Forum: Eyepieces

TMB Super Monos Reviews Revisited

Posted By Rod Kaufman

I would encourage everyone to read the new cloudy nights article on the reviews of the TMB super monos. The specific issues I found to be of interest involved quality control problems in the super mono line as well as in other types of eyepieces. The reported inability of production eyepieces to meet specifications in some cases is of concern to me especially when you read statements from a vendor to the effect of,"superior quality control is assured".
I would also encourage readers to consider the discussion thread on the cloudy nights forum regarding this particular article.The author of the controversial CN review article on planetary eyepieces offers his opinions and impressions of the TMB monos compared to other types of eyepieces.
I believe the current CN article offers a balanced and objective analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of the reviews that have been written to date. I hope it will lead to a higher degree of rigor for the methodology utilized to evaluate and assess the performance of planetary eyepieces in the the future.