Preston Luckey

Moon

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Rod Kaufman

December 6, 2022 10:41 PM Forum: Politics

Trump Organization companies found guilty on all charges in tax fraud trial in New York

Posted By Rod Kaufman

“Mr. Trump is explicitly sanctioning tax fraud,” Joshua Steinglass told jurors in closing arguments, according to the AP."
https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/3763959-trump-organization-found-guilty-of-tax-fraud/
I seem to recall a con or two on the forum and elsewhere stating Trump was just being smart in avoiding paying taxes because he's so clever and successful as a businessman... 

December 6, 2022 11:48 PM Forum: Politics

Trump Organization companies found guilty on all charges in tax fraud trial in New York

Posted By Rod Kaufman

Originally Posted by James Brown

Trying hard to regain the title of biggest asshole on the forum?
I'll leave that to the know-it-alls and the egotists on the forum...

December 7, 2022 12:49 AM Forum: Politics

Posted By Rod Kaufman

Frankly, I doubt you care, but I do not respect those who misquote and misconstrue my opinions or other's opinions.  You should be ashamed of yourself, it is telling that you are not.  
I haven't quoted you in this thread in reference to our issue of contention, so I haven't misquoted you or others. If I've misconstrued my recollection of your prior comments in past threads on the Trump-Russia collusion case wherein I recall you had argued that Trump wasn't aware of what his subordinates, like Paul Manafort, were doing because he wasn't being some sort of evil genius or mastermind but, rather, it was because he was essentially woefully ignorant about all such things around him to the degree that he didn't know or approve them. If that's not the case, then you can take this opportunity to set the record straight or tell me that I got it all wrong and I was mistaken about it... 

December 7, 2022 01:59 AM Forum: Politics

Posted By Rod Kaufman

I don't have the obligation to set the record straight.  You have the obligation to not misstate other people's positions!!  Ask James Lacey if you don't believe me.  

(Yes, I was shouting)

Even so, and even though I am tired and crabby today, I'll let you know that you have mixed it up badly.  I have indeed in the past mused about whether the press and left want to portray Trump (in general) as the buffoon or the mastermind.   It varies by story.   Sometimes it varies within the story.  This parallel but internally inconsistent characterization of Trump is commonplace in the press.  I think I last discussed the phenomenon here with reference to Jan. 6.  Not entirely sure.

With respect to Manafort, please review these threads. 

https://astromart.com/forums/commentary-careful-read-the-terms-of-service/politics/wuhan-world-revisited-again?page=1

https://astromart.com/forums/commentary-careful-read-the-terms-of-service/politics/russia-redux?page=1#post178889

We disagree of course, but I never said, what you said I did.  Given the magnitude of the Russian Collusion "hoax" including the massive investigation, impeachment for obstruction, but no supported charges of collusion with the Russians, I think the Manafort story is a nit.  I still do.  
Here's what sticks in my mind from that interchange, especially the reference by you to Trump not being a micromanager and contrary to what is stated in the initial post of this thread:
"Given Trump's personality and basic idiocy, I would not be surprised if his subordinates were doing all sorts of things behind his back.  No one has ever accused Trump of being an insightful, detail oriented, micro-manager." 
So, I'm not so sure I got that wrong. Anyhow, I see now that evidently not everything we state can be felt or understood along similar lines so we agree on some points here but not on others. I was being grumpy too so we certainly share that feeling. Hopefully, we'll all do better from now on...

December 7, 2022 02:46 AM Forum: Politics

Dems win Georgia

Posted By Rod Kaufman

Originally Posted by Russ Carroll
…either way. Having Warnock or Walker is a big boost for the Dems. Not sure which result DNC leaders actually prefer.
Well, right at the moment, it looks like Walker is going to pull it out. While the Democratic leadership and party would certainly prefer Warnock, your point is well taken in that a Walker win has been said to revive Trump's candidacy if it happens and the likelihood he'll lose in 2024...

December 7, 2022 03:16 AM Forum: Politics

Dems win Georgia

Posted By Rod Kaufman

Originally Posted by Russ Carroll

That’s true, too, but I was more  referring to the goldmine if idiotic quotes emanations from a Sen Walker over then next 6 years.
Probably not much different from those who voted for him...

December 7, 2022 04:19 PM Forum: Politics

Posted By Rod Kaufman

Thanks.  I think, the point I want to make in the light of morning is that Trump may be a buffoon, he may be a mastermind.  Even though I lean toward the buffoon angle, I have never used that as an excuse for any of his real malfeasance.  That is what riled me yesterday, I read your post as suggesting that I would give him a pass on tax fraud, just because he is stupid or unaware.  That is not true.  I hope they pin anything and everything on him that is just and proper under the criminal and tax codes.    
Thanks, too. I didn't intend to imply you were excusing his conduct and we both share the same desire that he ought to face the music for his actions in the manner you have described.

December 7, 2022 06:12 PM Forum: Politics

SCOTUS To Hear Harper V. Moore Next Week

Posted By Rod Kaufman

Oral arguments are under way in what may be the most pivotal case ever heard on the future of democracy in America.
PS: I hope Alito is at least coherent today...

December 7, 2022 06:52 PM Forum: Politics

Posted By Rod Kaufman

Interestingly, one of the founders of the Federalist Society, among other conservatives, filed an amicus advising the court to throw the nonsense out:
 https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2022/12/4/23481063/supreme-court-moore-harper-independent-state-legislature-doctrine-elections
So it appears the Federalist Society has at least some rational, sane people within its ranks, at least for now...

December 8, 2022 01:44 AM Forum: Politics

Posted By Rod Kaufman

Hopefully it'll go the way Jim suspects it will. Given the maximalist theory of the Republicans though, it seems like the cons on the court may try to salvage or apportion it so it still potentially packs a significant wallop on democracy. The Brennan center says there's is no "lite" version of this submission by the GOP so I hope and pray it is rejected in totality by a majority of the court...