Captured by
Peter Bresler

Trifid Nebula, m20

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Paul Starr

July 28, 2006 06:52 PM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

Me and my 10"

Posted By Paul Starr

Here is a picture of me with my 10" F-6 relector, built for high resolution lunar and planetary viewing.

10" F-6 Zambuto mirror
1.83" Antares 1/30 wave secondary, 18.3% central obstruction
Curved protostar spider
fully flocked aluminum tube
Cooling fan
10x60mm finder
Heavy duty Eq mount w/ 2" solid stainless steel shafts.
9.3" Thomas Mathis drive
Digital setting circles
Housed in a 12'x12' roll off roof observatory

February 16, 2012 12:11 AM Forum: No Holds Barred

Sad photo

Posted By Paul Starr

I found this to be a very moving photo. You may agree.

January 21, 2005 05:43 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

To Flock or not to Flock......

Posted By Paul Starr

I did my 9.25" XLT CF and it made the sky around a bright object like the moon much blacker. I did the CF tube, the outside of the baffle tube and the inside of the secondary holder. I removed the rear mirror cell and the secondary mirror to do mine. Upon reassembly I also centered the secondary mirror holder in the corrector with shims. I blackened the bevels on the main mirror and secondary. I centered the secondary holder in the tube using dial calipers and I took pains to accurately align the optics to the factory reference marks. I now feel its optimized to give its best performance and it does. The extra work was worth it. If your taking it apart to flock it, you might want to go the extra mile. Paul

July 8, 2005 07:58 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Source for telescope tubes?

Posted By Paul Starr

Try this for aluminum tubes.
www.hipco-ne.com/scope.htm
Paul

July 11, 2005 03:26 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

My latest mod for improving contrast

Posted By Paul Starr

I can't say for sure floyd, but I could swear your looking younger.
Paul

September 11, 2005 03:33 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

First light, finally!

Posted By Paul Starr

That's great Floyd. Using near perfect optics is truly a joy. I just rolled the roof off my building and I'm looking forward to a night with my 10" f-6 ZOC. The clear sky clock is showing good, followed by excellent seeing for tonight. What more could a guy ask for.
Paul

October 2, 2005 02:02 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

10" Astro Sky real first light!

Posted By Paul Starr

Sounds good Floyd,
Its funny you should mention that your scope seemed to have more moments of good clarity than the others. I have noticed that even on nights of average seeing, my mirror seems to cut through the turbulance better than others. You can see the turbulance but the detail is still visible under it. I didn't notice this with my C-9.25. I know the best scope is the one you use most often but preamium optics sure don't hurt.
Paul

January 21, 2006 10:11 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Mirror Recoating

Posted By Paul Starr

Try these two,
Paul
http://www.spectrum-coatings.com/
http://www.nova-optical.com/Coating.htm

February 14, 2006 12:55 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Beral vs Aluminum coating

Posted By Paul Starr

Marcin,

Clausing has been offering Beral coatings for years. I have had mirrors coated with this material over the years. Although it may be harder than aluminum in its raw state, Beral is not overcoated as aluminum coatings are. Beral is delicate compared to overcoated aluminum, in as much as when you clean it, the slightest amount of rubbing will cause sleeks. Overcoated aluminum can be cleaned far easier with out causing any damage. As with any coating, caution must be taken when cleaning and cleaning done only when absolutely necessary.

Paul

April 19, 2006 09:14 AM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

How old are you???

Posted By Paul Starr

I'm 59 and have owned a telescope since I was 13.
Paul