New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Linton Rohr

November 8, 2004 04:28 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Andover filters

Posted By Linton Rohr

Anyone familiar with Andover O-III filters. I'm not. :S
I was looking for a used Lumicon - I'm really happy with their UHC filter.
But I see an Andover in the classifieds. Any thoughts?
Thank you,
Linton

November 26, 2004 12:46 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

41 Panoptic

Posted By Linton Rohr

What's the consensus? Does the 41 Pan measure up to the legendary 35? I don't have either yet, but I'm looking to upgrade my Meade 40 SW. I DO have a 27 Pan and it is just fantastic. I love it.
I'd give up some FOV with the 35, of course, but there are other considerations as well. Of course I could just go with the 31 Nagler, but let's not go there - yet. Thanks for your opinions.
Linton

December 12, 2004 11:32 AM Forum: Eyepieces

Meade 5000 series

Posted By Linton Rohr

Ladies and gentlemen,
The recent discussions of the size and weight of the Nagler 31 may have to be modified. I saw the new Meades at my local dealer yesterday and they are something else. The 40mm SW and the 30mm UW dwarf the Nagler 31! shocked I swear!
There was a Meade rep there and I heard him say these were prototypes. Nonetheless, they were being demoed out front on the sidewalk. If they are there again today, I will get a picture of the Nagler side by side and post it here.
I should mention, the 14mm UW is a much more compact version than the classic 4000 series. I would be interested in comparing the performance of the two. I wonder if the new one will live up to - or surpass - it's noble predecessor.
Has anyone else seen these yet?
Linton

December 15, 2004 10:26 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

PST first light

Posted By Linton Rohr

I picked up a PST yesterday, but I'm hiding it from the wife until I can deliver a Christmas present to her. wink I set it up real quick after work while she was in the shower. Awesome. The 8.8 UW is a great EP fit. I don't know why I waited so long. Uh, well, yeah I do.
That reminds me, I'd better intercept the mailman before he hands her that 41 Panoptic that's due to arrive! shocked
Linton

December 15, 2004 10:30 PM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

PST first light

Posted By Linton Rohr

I picked up a PST yesterday, but I'm hiding it from the wife until I can deliver a Christmas present to her. I set it up real quick after work while she was in the shower. Awesome. The 8.8 UW is a great EP fit. I don't know why I waited so long. Uh, well, yeah I do.
That reminds me, I'd better intercept the mailman before he hands her that 41 Panoptic that's due to arrive!
Linton

January 7, 2005 08:29 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: First Light Soon...

Posted By Linton Rohr

Hello Hal,
I'm afraid it's NOT going to stop raining this year. cwy
Hope you had a nice vacation. wink
Linton

January 10, 2005 09:32 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: Modifying an Meade ETX mount to take a Coronad

Posted By Linton Rohr

Good evening Vaclav,
Funny you should mention it. Take a look at this, off the Coronado forum:
http://www.astromart.com/forums/viewpost.asp?forum_post_id=289987&poll_id=&news_id=&page=
Good idea.
Linton

January 22, 2005 01:01 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Re: new William Optics eyepieces

Posted By Linton Rohr

"It doesn't say, but I'd bet these are Chinese, just like the new Meades are. Soon everything will be made in China - the stuff gets more and more decent, and the prices stay incredibly low. In the future, will everybody in the rest of the world just make a living buying and selling Chinese stuff to each other?"
Nils,
As the Chinese take more and more of our jobs, they will start to demand better pay and eventually they won't have the cheap labor advantage any more. Then businesses will find another source to exploit. Hopefully Americans will still earn enough to buy the products. :S
Linton

February 22, 2005 07:52 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Dobsonian Raincoat

Posted By Linton Rohr

All the rain we're getting here in SoCal makes me think I ought to get a scope cover for my 12.5 Dob (and for my 8" SCT for that matter). It seems as though the Desert Storm covers are the most popular, but there are others available too. I've noticed an aluminized heat resistant one sold by ScopeStuff, for instance. Anyone have any favorites?
I'm mainly concerned with rain protection in the event of a sudden unexpected rain shower, but I guess it should double as wind and sun protection while awaiting sunset. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks gang.
Linton

March 15, 2005 06:41 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Which Dob would YOU get?

Posted By Linton Rohr

Gentleman, (and ladies),
I am thinking about adding another Dob to my arsenal. I've only been observing for a year and a half, but I took to it like a fish to water (or perhaps like a bird to the sky grin ) I started with an 8" LX-90, but recently added a 12.5" Dob (old Discovery primary) in my quest to gather more DSO light. I love the 12.5", but here's my dilemma:
I've had the opportunity to view through an 18" Obsession a couple times and I've come to the conclusion that it would be my ultimate scope (realistically speaking). Not too big, but big enough. And not too hard to set up and/or transport.
Enter Floyd and his 14.5" Starmaster. wink Now I'm considering getting one of these instead based on the reputation of the Zambuto mirror. What do you think? Will I still be craving the 18" aperture? Or will the Zambuto factor make up the difference? :S
Your opinions are appreciated.
Linton