New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Linton Rohr

March 22, 2005 05:58 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: Lightspeed Limericks:

Posted By Linton Rohr

Hal,
Sorry if the "Which dob would YOU get?" thread got to you. I'll try to refrain from asking for equipment advice on the limerick forum. wink

I'd have probably enjoyed your post had you not deleted it.
smile sad smile sad smile sad smile sad smile sad smile sad smile sad smile sad smile sad smile :S

Linton

March 23, 2005 11:26 PM Forum: After Dark

Re: wrong forum

Posted By Linton Rohr

Please post your political/religeous rantings down in the appropriate forums where I make it a point to NOT go. Thank you.

May 13, 2005 06:48 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Good night on Mt. Pinos

Posted By Linton Rohr

Hi folks,
I saw an opportunity to get some decent dark sky observing in on Wed night. So despite the fact that I have to get up for work at 5:00am and I had a big deadline to meet this week as well, I figured I HAD to do it. Observing opportunities have been few and far between this year. sad
I planned on spending the evening almost exclusively on galaxies, as the transparency rating was good, but seeing was not. There was a thin cresent moon, but it set pretty early.
M51 and M101 displayed nice spiral arms, though M101 was not nearly as bright. Better detail on M51, with the bridge quite obvious.
M104 was looking good, as was NGC 4565. Love those dust lanes. 4565 was somewhat crisper in detail, probably due to it's much higher position in the sky.
Speaking of dust, the black eye, M64, sure shows a lot of it. An aptly named galaxy. It was big, bright and beautiful. M63 was a little disappointing. Mostly a golden glow, without much detail.
NGC 4631, the Whale, was quite impressive. While in the area, I checked out NGC 4559 and 4725, which Inge had just recommended. Quite worthwhile.
The Leo Trio looked really great. Better than I ever remember.
Then, while cruising around in Virgo, I found the Markarian Chain. Wow. I think I counted 10 galaxies trailing off like a cornucopia. I had seen M84/86 before but never all the others. But then I never had a good sized Dob before. wink
M81/M82 were blasting down on me like beacons in the night. Incredible.
Figured I'd better look at something else, so M3 seemed like fun. M13 was even more fun. (There was one other guy there, who had a 25" Obsession and he showed me M13 in binoviewers, which was even more, more fun!) Scorpio was creeping up above the treeline, so I took peek at M4 as well.
So I was just thinking I'd better get heading home, when I noticed Cygnus had risen. Oh dear. Resistance was out of the question. :S
I HAD to get a "quick" look at the Ring and Dumbbell nebulae. They looked amazing. And I didn't even mess with any filters.
But I did pull out the O-III filter, and put in the 41 Pan, for a grand finale with my Holy Grail, the Veil. Wow. What an amazing sight. 8O What a great way to end the night!
Unfortunately, by then it was no longer night but morning. I did't get off the mountain until after 1:00 and by the time I was home in bed, it was 3:00. 5:00 came very quickly. But the next day went very slowly. To make matters worse, overtime was demanded. It was all worth it though, and I'd do it again. I just kept reminding myself of what great sights I saw up there.
Linton grin

ps-we made our deadline...TGIF

July 10, 2005 12:53 PM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

Starmaster at Vasquez Rocks

Posted By Linton Rohr

All set up and waiting for sunset...

July 10, 2005 01:31 PM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

Twin Starmasters at Mt. Pinos

Posted By Linton Rohr

Setting up a pair of 14.5" Starmasters with my mystery accomplice...

July 11, 2005 08:48 PM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

Re: Tak and SCT Balancing Act

Posted By Linton Rohr

Yowza! Nice arsenal David.
Looks like young Parker is off to a good start, too!
Linton

July 15, 2005 03:45 PM Forum: After Dark

Road Trip - AZ, NM, W. TX - good sites?

Posted By Linton Rohr

I'm looking for good observing sites not too far from I-10, in Arizona, New Mexico and West Texas. I'm taking a road trip in 2 weeks and am hoping to find some good dark sky sites along the way. Chiricahua Nat. Monument looks good. And the Davis Mountain area, near the TSP site. We're staying one night in Big Bend Nat. Park, too. Any other suggestions?
Returning later (from Illinois) through southern Colorado and Utah, so suggestions around there would also be welcome. Unfortunately, the moon will be approaching 1st quarter by then.
Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Linton

(BTW, I found out about the summer thunderstorms after I scheduled the trip.) :S

July 22, 2005 05:55 PM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

Re: Observing Chair

Posted By Linton Rohr

Nice rosette, Michael!
I really like that added touch.
Linton

July 24, 2005 03:36 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Original Jim Fly CatsPerch chair anyone?

Posted By Linton Rohr

Do any of you Astromarties have a CatsPerch chair that was actually built by Jim Fly. I'm aware that he no longer makes them, but only sells the plans and hardware kit. I recently bought the plans and kit for the Pro edition. If you actually bought a completed chair from him, please contact me privately. I have some questions...
Thank you.
Linton

August 22, 2005 06:46 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

StellaCam demo

Posted By Linton Rohr

I dropped in on a local telescope store Friday night for a demo event they were holding for the Astrovid StellaCam II. I was told they were having the event on a full moon night, and behind the store amidst the suburban skyglow, to emphasize how well one can view DSO's even in the worst conditions. I was somewhat sceptical, but figured I might as well check it out.
There were three different scopes set up, an 8" and 12" feeding small monitors and a 10" RCX feeding a projection screen. They started out with well known Messier objects, such as M-57, M-27, M13, M-92. I could just make out the central star of the Ring and the dumbbell detail was very good too. The the resolution on the globulars was pretty darn good as well. But I wanted some galaxies. The trees and buildings were blocking a lot of them, for instance M-51 and M-101. But then our 12" owner started jumping around to all these obscure (to me anyway) NGC galaxies. I was amazed as they popped up on the monitor. Remember, we're talking full moon - in Los Angeles! Yowza. shocked
I kept bugging him to try M-31, so he finally did. But then quickly zeroed in on a faint galaxy within the dark lane of Andromeda. Geez.
I had planned on leaving pretty early, but ended up staying through to the end. It was just too amazing. Towards the end, Sagitarius had risen up from behind a tree, so he started going through the nebulae over there. They all looked really good, but when we viewed M-16, the Eagle, we could actually see the Pillars of Creation within the nebula. 8O
Needless to say, all my scepticism had vanished.
So I'm just wondering if anyone else has tried one of these. I'm not trying to sell them, and I'm not running out to buy one myself. But I must say it was a pretty impressive demo. I can only wonder how it would perform under dark skies...
Linton grin

http://www.astrovid.com/prod_details.php?pid=6