My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Andrew Riehl

April 7, 2002 06:45 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

wishlist conundrum...

Posted By Andrew Riehl

I'm debating what to put on my wishlist--I'm looking for something for wide field imaging, both ccd and film. I'm torn between a Borg 76 f/6.5 ED or a high quality ED telephoto lens in the 200-300mm range at about f/2.8 or f/4 or so. Both would work fine with my film and ccd cameras. The borg I could use visually (although I haven't a need for a quick peek scope), but a fast telephoto would be a great addition to my wildlife photography. I already have a borg 50, so I would just need to buy an objective and maybe reducer, knocking the price down to around the same price as a decent used lens. what would you all suggest? Also, any suggestions on ED lenses I could adapt to my pentax cams?

April 7, 2002 06:49 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

photographic wish list conundrum...

Posted By Andrew Riehl

I'm debating what to put on my wishlist--I'm looking for something for wide field imaging, both ccd and film. I'm torn between a Borg 76 f/6.5 ED or a high quality ED telephoto lens in the 200-300mm range at about f/2.8 or f/4 or so. Both would work fine with my film and ccd cameras. The borg I could use visually (although I haven't a need for a quick peek scope), but a fast telephoto would be a great addition to my wildlife photography. I already have a borg 50, so I would just need to buy an objective and reducer, knocking the price down to something comparable to a decent used lens. what would you all suggest? Also, any suggestions on ED lenses I could adapt to my pentax cams?

April 13, 2002 10:49 PM Forum: Home Observatories

blackening walls?

Posted By Andrew Riehl

My observatory is just about ready for the scope to move in; I was wondering if you all think it would be worth the effort to paint my walls black. I don't know what any downside would be, maybe heat loss issues? Any other ideas?

June 29, 2002 04:58 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

h-alpha pass filters....

Posted By Andrew Riehl

My ccd cam is just about up and running (finally); I plan on using a deep red or H-alpha pass filter for nebula work (I'm only doing black and white for now). will this same red filter be an effective light pollution reducer on globs, galaxies, and planetaries as well, or are they only really effective on predominately red light sources?

July 11, 2002 02:57 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

ccd first light

Posted By Andrew Riehl

Finally got astronomical first light with my finally finished Genesis CCD (kaf-0401e class 0)camera. prime focus of nexstar 11 at approximately f/6. image is of m51, m27, and m56. Heavily binned, I was just playing around to get an image or two, not trying too hard (I'm also at the bottom of the ccd learning curve). all images stacks of a few subexposures, I need to take more exposures in the future. also, none are flat-fielded (but are darkand offset subtracted) any questions, please ask. much better images will be coming.

July 24, 2002 10:57 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Re: Camera Mount

Posted By Andrew Riehl

I on my 11" SCT and previously on my smaller schmidts, I use a Lumicon Adjustable Piggyback Adapter. These adapters are machined from solid blocks of aluminum and are rock solid, especially compared to those cheaplooking ones sold by meade and the like. I use mine to frequently mount a small 1/4-20 mount refractor. Rock solid. although a top rail would give you more flexibility down the road, this is a good bit cheaper. My 2 cents.

July 25, 2002 01:01 AM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

NAN med field...

Posted By Andrew Riehl

This is a composite I just got done processing of the North America Nebula (seems to be the target of choice right now). Exposures are 10, 15, and 20 minutes on Kodak Royal Gold 400 through a tamron 300mm ED lens @f/2.8. lower red sensitivity of the rg400 lets more of the star field come out...I like the effect.

July 25, 2002 01:13 AM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

polar trails with & without faint aurora...

Posted By Andrew Riehl

here are two consecutive images, the second of which picked up a barely visible faint green aurora. 28mm lens, approximately 20-30 minutes on fuji superia 800 (I shoot startrails while I'm doing other things, so I don't really record the data too much, just memory of what I was doing at the time)

July 25, 2002 01:19 AM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

cygnus area...

Posted By Andrew Riehl

The Cygnus area; 55mm lens @ f/2.8. composite of 5, 10, and 15 minute exposures on Royal Gold 400. Akira Fuji I am not...

July 25, 2002 01:25 AM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Very wide field Milky Way...

Posted By Andrew Riehl

19mm lens @ f/4. Composite of 10 and 15 minute exposures on Royal Gold 400...I need to reprocess this, a little to contrasty plus I need to remove some vignetting. Not enough time now though...