My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Andrew Riehl

March 6, 2003 01:36 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Re: Funny Colin Powell Story

Posted By Andrew Riehl

I wonder why someone hunting blacktail deer would be doing so with a .338 winchester w/250 grain bullets. For those not too familiar with firearms, shooting a Blacktail with that round is akin to swatting a fly with Webster's dictionary.

March 8, 2003 04:30 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

another question re: france...

Posted By Andrew Riehl

I was listening to live coverage in the UN on friday at lunch break in my truck...France said they propose a well defined timeline giving measures we'd like iraq to take in disarmament, and a date for which they are to comply. Yet they also said they are wholeheartedly against any resolution which would make a deadline for military action. So if we implement their plan, if Iraq doesn't destroy weapon x by date z, we'll do what? extend the time and give them a new date? I'm lost.

March 8, 2003 06:02 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

m81 reworked...original

Posted By Andrew Riehl

I was playing around with some old data from a while back and think I have it looking a lot better...Please let me know if you agree. this is the original version

March 8, 2003 07:52 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

horsehead good news, bad news...

Posted By Andrew Riehl

well the good news is I got a clear night to shoot some color for my horsehead image. The bad news is, due to its position in the sky now and the weather patterns as of late, I had to shoot short, binned color and couldn't blend the h-alpha in the ideal way, so I did a 'normal' LRGB, with the high res h-alpha as the lum, with some of the h-alpha also blended into the red channel. Also made my first venture into halo removal to fix up Alnitak. So, anyway, it's not the deep red I'd really like, but it's better than no color at all. guess I'll have to wait till fall at this point to do it right. Damn weather...

March 8, 2003 10:07 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Leo triplet--my turn.

Posted By Andrew Riehl

Here's my shot of the leo triplet. Tak fs-78 @ f/5.9. SBIG ST-2000 w/cfw-8. LRGB=110:30:30:30 minutes. Lum at full res, colors binned 2x2. I chased some gradients in my color files, I think I've got them fixed up fairly well. Still some remnants if you look hard (or probably if your monitor isn't set exactly like mine). My 3" scope is a little lacking in resolution on these galaxies I suppose.

March 9, 2003 10:24 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Very appealing target for me...

Posted By Andrew Riehl

Well, if the weather and schedule ever cooperate enough for me to get back to the 11", I think I may have found my first target for it again...I was playing around planning my spring targets, and this one should make a very nice image, especially considering guide star placement and FOV orientation. If anyone is not planning out their sessions using 'the sky' or the like (especially with self guiding cameras), I highly reccomend it. Takes a lot of the frustration out of finding guide stars.

March 10, 2003 06:53 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

going away...

Posted By Andrew Riehl

Hi everybody, just a note to say I'm going to keep myself out of the forums for a day or three, as I've got tons of ccd data from the past few nights to go through. If I avoid the forums, I may actually get it done. Just wanted to let you all know i'm not avoiding responses or the like, just need to take a break. Clear skies to all.
Andy R.

March 11, 2003 06:55 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

need an opinion or two...

Posted By Andrew Riehl

Ok, I've been working on this data for a few hours, it's from the last two nights, and I used some data from the last m42 image I took as well. I've got a few little things I want to work on yet, but my eyes are burned out from the monitor for a bit. My main question is should I try to change the appearance (brightness and halo) of the bright star on the very left, or leave it be? I kind of like the slightly bloated appearance of the other brighter stars, but I'm just not sure about that huge one. This image is definately my greatest feat so far, and I want the thing to be as perfect as I can get it. any other suggestions are very welcome as well. Thanks.

March 11, 2003 06:57 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

on topic? where I've been hiding...

Posted By Andrew Riehl

ok, I'm only back for a brief second, I'm trying to get some opinions about the image I've been working on (namely the appearance of one star). Anybody interested can check it out and offer suggestions in the ccd forum at:
http://www.astromart.com/messages.asp?message_id=53921

I've still got some other little things I plan to do to it as well, but the monitor is burning my eyes at this point. Thanks.
Andy R.

March 12, 2003 02:11 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

photoshop star trail correction...

Posted By Andrew Riehl

Ok, I had a few minutes to play with this one. Here's a guide for fixing minor trailed stars in photoshop. There are other methods I believe, but this one's very simple. Here's Matt's original image: