My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Curtis Borg

May 2, 2002 09:31 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Bino Nebula Filters

Posted By Curtis Borg

Has anyone had experience with the filters that are made by Howie Glatter or any other makes.
I just bought a used pair of Fuji 16x70's and am imagining they would be great to see large nebulae, but may need these filters.
Any insights?
Thanks!
-Curtis Borg--
--
--

January 22, 2003 02:28 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: Why doesn't Astro-Physics make eyepieces?

Posted By Curtis Borg

Rob,
Just a little note about that. I bought an 8mm Konig about 7 months ago with the AP label on it. I don't know how long they marketed it, or who their manufacturer was, but it HAS happened.
-Curtis
--
--
--
--

August 2, 2003 07:22 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

A Posting Time Warp?

Posted By Curtis Borg

Where are these ancient posts coming from?
I've seen a few of these lately. Threads that died a natural death 3,4, 5, 6 months ago suddenly surface like a body floating on a lake......
E-ghouls?
-Curtis
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--

October 12, 2003 05:33 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Which Palm/PDA and Astro programs

Posted By Curtis Borg

Wondering what Palm-type pda and astro programs people can suggest. I buy a lot of used equip., so older models are fine as long as they work with current software. I may be linking it to a Mac.
Suggestions?
Thanks!
-Curtis
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--

February 23, 2004 03:44 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

It's an AP...no, a TMB....no, just an Orion Ed

Posted By Curtis Borg

Well, didn't think I'd see this, but there's now a "Premium" to be paid for an Orion scope. There's an Orion 80ED up for sale on Amart that has a $28 premium so that you can buy it NOW!
Move over AP...
-Curtis
-

-
-
-
-
-

April 4, 2004 08:18 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Astro Nuts and Bolts

Posted By Curtis Borg

I know there must be a place where you go to find those nifty thumbscrews (with nylon or machined knobs)and other little parts you need in this hobby.

Need to replace bolt holding SkyView Deluxe mount to tripod and also thumbscrews to hold mounting plate to the mount.

Which way do I go?

-Curtis

May 2, 2002 02:29 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Binoc mount and tripod help!! Newbie Lost!!

Posted By Curtis Borg

Astronomy magazine had a good review about some of the better parallelogram mounts that you might want to look at also. Check their website! I just picked up a used pair of 16x70 Fuji's also and am looking for a parallelogram mount.
I chose a Bogen/Manfrotto 3046 tripod-like a rock!
NEAF is only a couple of weeks away....I have a credit card.....I feel like being bad....;-)
Good luck,
-Curtis Borg--
--
--

July 2, 2002 04:13 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

32mm TV vs 32mm Konig

Posted By Curtis Borg

Frank,
I have both ep's. I've loved the 32TV since the first time I used it - but I have also liked the UO Konig line very much, particularly the 16mm. So when I saw a 32Konig here on Astromart I jumped at it (kind of hard to find used) I tried it in my TV Ranger and experienced a lot of kidney beaning with the 32 Konig. I'd also be interested in other's experience with this eyepiece.I haven't taken the chance of viewing through my 8"f/6. So perhaps more aperature would make a difference, I don't know...So with limited experience, the TV32 works better for me. Curtis Borg--
--
--
--

July 10, 2002 12:25 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Feedback on UO Konig II Wide-Angle Oculars?

Posted By Curtis Borg

Randy,
You don't mention the kind of scope you'll be using it in. I'm a great fan of the UO Konig line. Don't know where I got the good sense to buy the 16mm last year-I knew nothing about eps at the time. I absolutely love it. Since then, I've chased down the 8, 12, 24, 32, and recently got a hold of the 6.5mm. Also recently barlowed the 12 with the 2.8 Klee. It's VERY impressive! I have a TV Ranger (f/6.8) and the 12, 16, 24 are great in that scope. The 32 in the Ranger blacks out a lot. I'll be trying them all out in my 8" f/6 dob and am hoping that the 32 works better. I'm encouraged by some of the remarks here about it. They are a bit soft on the edge in both of the scopes I've mentioned, but maybe in a slower scope they would be just fine.
They're hard to find on the used market and as it was mentioned earlier, they sell very quickly. So if you are unhappy with them you can certainly put them up on Astromart.
You should definitely give them a try!!
-Curtis Borg
--
--
--

October 23, 2002 09:13 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

How about best high power EP with 8" Dob?

Posted By Curtis Borg

I have a 8" SkyWatcher dob. A great scope for the money! Virtually identical to the XT8. I have had little luck with anything shorter than the 6mm area. Have tried UO 6mm ortho and it can manage that. When I dip below that to a 5 or a 4 it's pretty much wasted time. I also tried a 6 Radian, but it will not work in my scope-barrel it too long.
I think you would be wasting time and money if you buy for mags higher than around 200.
Good luck,
-Curtis
--
--
--