My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Patrick Kelly

June 3, 2005 12:20 AM Forum: Refractors

upping the f/ to 16...what to expect?

Posted By Patrick Kelly

With any luck in a couple weeks I'll be moving from D&G 5" f/12 to D&G 6" f/15 of previously photoned refractor. A bridge 5" f/15 scope didn't turn up and the 6" opportunity was made, and close by, and I feel I'd be kicking myself not to snatch it up assuming everything goes smoothly.

The scope'll be on D&G 1.5" shaft GEM (I really DO miss the slo motions of my previous mounts and wish I could retro fit this old thing somehow) for visual use on the high pier plus have motofocus so a few refractorisms are covered. Since this is getting into classic scopes with both feet, are there any other tidbits of info anyone can toss my way on what to expect working this beast. My location is coastal, seeing pretty crappy most times, but not windy; hope to have a rolloff/pushoff down the road.

Thanks for any insights.BTW, for now I'll be saving the 5"er .

Pat in Maryland

December 13, 2005 11:34 PM Forum: Refractors

What is a Type A Zeiss apo?

Posted By Patrick Kelly

Interesting to see Markus Ludes advertize the lastest astro goodie...6" f/17 Zeiss Planetary apo Refractor...doublet Type A apo. I had read the design a long time ago but have forgotten. What is a Type A apo?

May 13, 2006 11:23 PM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

My final scope...

Posted By Patrick Kelly

Well, after all the effort we went through to get this housed and up and running I'd like to think so. Hopefully my buying/selling/upgrading days are over...but one never knows what comes along that we can't pass up, but it'll have to be spectacular 8) shocked

Scope is a D&G 6" f/15 eq mounted refractor housed in a powered roll-off just completed (and ready for customizing) by Scott Horstman and Crew from Backyard Observatories of Ohio.

December 6, 2006 02:02 AM Forum: Refractors

6 f/15 = 8 f/? equivalent classic achro

Posted By Patrick Kelly

Here's one for the numbers and program-runners...I really love my D&G 6" f/15 achro...in all ways...and its permanently set up and all comfy it its own little roll-off house. Now, if I wanted to step up to an 8", and maintain the same level of "color correction" (yes, I follow all the achro/apo stuff)...I guess I should better say "color performance", what would be the equivalent f/ratio...and likely tube length? I've had several chances at 8" f/12, but timing/$$/experience wasn't right, I like the "kinda almost apo" wink performance I get (yea, I know a color bloom is in there), I liked the light quality vs quantity. What would I need to do to have both at an 8" level? :S cwy shocked 8O

No..there's no way I could ever fabricate a folded refractor.

FWIW I'm a purely old-skool visual observer, have absolutely NO, NEVER any inclination for photography or imaging, love doubles and the like.

Thanks for your calculations smile

June 7, 2007 02:34 AM Forum: Home Observatories

Who's got TV in their Observatory?

Posted By Patrick Kelly

Just curious. I'm expanding satellite feeds in the home and thinking about putting one in the Observatory. All the comforts of home ya know.

Pat

April 9, 2008 02:37 AM Forum: Refractors

Unitron Model 152 4" refractor on A-Mart

Posted By Patrick Kelly

Since there is no Unitron Forum here I'll post this here... :S

http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=558124

This older fella is just down the road from me, looking for offers and I talked to him this evening. Everything is original, lens from ~30 years old but no date on hand. I can look at this, set up in his living room easily.

Anyone have a good feel what a good value for this would be?

BTW, he also has an old 12" Cave in his observatory he's gonna sell next. Lawdy, lawdy, lawdy...

I really want to get this...timing and everything is right. Told the Missus re the Unitron and making a $3(minimum)-4K+ offer and she didn't bat an eye...a good sign 8)

Pat in Maryland

June 1, 2008 10:12 PM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

6" f/15 D&G refractor w/observatory

Posted By Patrick Kelly

Permanently installed 6" f/15 D&G refractor on Parsec/12 equatorial mount. Its been a while since I shared this here; in the meantime I upgraded to the wonderful Astro-Physics focuser and new backplate; tube shortened a bit to accommodate use of binoviewers...modifications and installations performed by Barry Griener of D&G in nearby Pennsylvania.

July 21, 2008 06:51 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Pier-Tech piers...who's got one?

Posted By Patrick Kelly

I'm looking for user experiences with the Pier-Tech extending piers. They have a new model for long refractors with a vertical extension from 57 (or custom threreabouts) to 77 inches that caught my eye.

October 2, 2008 09:22 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Late ratings...my bad

Posted By Patrick Kelly

No excuses...despite a killer work schedule and family tragedies and life (but almost NO observing) in general I still managed to get a slew of quickie AM transactions done for some cash but failed in the late ratings department. I saved the stack of transactions I have to go through to "make nice" to the community but I feel bad.

Whats my penance?

Is it my imagination or are ratings not as important these days. I fully intend to follow up with these guys over the next days whether they reciprocate or not. Its the principal of AM.

If one of these includes you...you'll be hearing from me shortly wink

January 19, 2009 12:24 AM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

What's a Blue Sponsor?

Posted By Patrick Kelly

I know the support/color levels. I know Dealer Sponsors but whats a Blue Sponsor (mainly individuals on the List)...I see no on-line means to be a Blue Sponsor.