Captured by
andrews porter

Hart nebula

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Kevin Vernon

October 24, 2006 03:45 AM Forum: N.A.S.A.

Shuttle liftoff ISS style

Posted By Kevin Vernon

Hate to burst anyone's bubble.....but that shot was taken from about 60,000 feet, from NASA's WB-57 weather recon aircraft.

The wider shot - with the "window frame" & complete time-stamp....that's the cockpit canopy framing of the WB-57. ISS does NOT have any viewports/windows anywhere NEAR that big.

Yes, it's a cool shot & really neat & all...just NOT taken from ISS.

-Kevin in Indy

January 2, 2007 07:53 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Overkill

Posted By Kevin Vernon

When it comes to a Telescope Mount - I always go by the "MTV" rule: "Too much is never enough" 8)

-Kevin in Indy

January 3, 2007 03:18 AM Forum: N.A.S.A.

ISS over Indy, tonight 2Jan07 1of3

Posted By Kevin Vernon

From my horribly Light-Polluted backyard in Northeast Indy. 6:30pmEST 02Jan07.

Canon 30D, 28-105zoom, set at 28mm. Wide open, f4.0, Bulb, approx 19sec. Exposure.

-Kevin in Indy

January 18, 2007 08:21 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Film Scanners.

Posted By Kevin Vernon

The issue I see with the dedicated film scanners, is the ones that will also do medium Format (120) film - of which I have a fair amount - are whoppingly expensive.

My current Microtek flatbed does a fair job on film - it's just dealing with loose strips of 4 to 6 negatives is a major pain. *ugh*
Plus this whole "Digital Ice" business sounds very useful - something my scanner/software does not do.

Gotta keep researchin', I guess.

Thanks, guys.

-Kevin in Indy

February 20, 2007 08:08 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

First amendment vs. this forum

Posted By Kevin Vernon

Ron -

A common misconception.

Unless the Police have showed up at your door to arrest you for something you've said, then the 1st amendment is not an issue.

This forum is Private Property - and if the owners/moderators wish to remove a post for ANY reason, they are within thier rights.

It's not like you are standing on a public streetcorner, holding up a sign. The 1st amendment doesn't apply.

-Kevin in Indy

April 21, 2007 07:29 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Street Lights....

Posted By Kevin Vernon

There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved with a suitable application of high explosives. 8) 8) 8)

-Kevin in Indy

May 29, 2007 11:52 PM Forum: Home Observatories

Bee Attack and Power Outage

Posted By Kevin Vernon

Steve -

Backup power is never a bad idea. Moderately sized generators can be had fairly cheap.

A generator with enough oomph to run your observatory should run about the same price level as a good Nagler eyepiece. 8)

-Kevin in Indy

August 25, 2007 03:14 AM Forum: ASTRONOMY

Queen Rocker Awarded PHd !!!

Posted By Kevin Vernon

The most highly over-educated Rock Band in history.

Between the 4 of them - 4 Batchelor's Degrees, 2 Masters Degrees & a Doctorate.

Wow.

"And now, on Lead Guitar - DOCTOR Brian May!"

"We'll bring you breakfast at Tiffany's, We'll sing to you in Japanese, we're only here to entertain you!"

-Kevin in Indy

October 1, 2007 08:18 PM Forum: ASTRONOMY

Lunar patches...what are they?

Posted By Kevin Vernon

Debris from where the excavation crews are digging in Luna City. wink

-Kevin in Indy

October 30, 2007 08:16 PM Forum: N.A.S.A.

What cuss words do astronauts use?

Posted By Kevin Vernon

Lee, I believe I have the answers to your 3 questions....or at least POSSIBLE answers. wink

1) I'd imagine pretty much the same cuss words everybody else uses.

2) A "fling" doesn't impart much delta V - so I'd think it'd stay pretty much in the same orbit as the station.

3) A leave toys to trip over & asparagus crammed into somewhere it's not supposed to go? Are you nuts? 8)

-Kevin in Indy (Just tryin' to help)