Posts Made By: Mike LeHere

March 10, 2003 06:13 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Orion XT8

Posted By Mike LeHere

I'm looking for a Guan Sheng XT8. Does anyone have any idea where I might find one? New or Used?

Mike

March 11, 2003 07:37 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Meade LXD55 AR5

Posted By Mike LeHere

Does anybody know of any dealer who has the LXD55, AR5 in stock. Deliveries from Meade are stretching out and no info can be had for when next shipment is going to occur. I'm getting a little discouraged.

MIke

March 20, 2003 03:23 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

LXD55 mounting hardware?

Posted By Mike LeHere

Does anybody have any idea what mounting hardware is needed to mount an Tak FS102 with Parallax(sp?) rings to the LXD55 equatorial mount. Also what thread sizes for screws that may be needed.

Mike

April 3, 2003 05:49 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Observing Chairs

Posted By Mike LeHere

I'm looking for a decent adjustable observing chair. Some company was advertising wooden adjsutable chairs on Astromart recently for $134 shipped. Does anyone have a contact for this company. I open to any and all suggestions.

MIke

May 4, 2003 11:53 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Need help with new Purchase

Posted By Mike LeHere

I have the wife's permission to buy a new scope. I' thinking about either a used Meade 127ED refractor or a new 10' or 12.5 Dob. I currently have a 4" APO on an LXD55 mount. I have nearly always had a goto system so haven't done much star hopping. Mars is coming as are all the DSOs in the summer sky. I also have an LX90. I enjoy both planetary and deep sky. Your recommendations, comments and help are greatly appreciated.

Mike

May 24, 2003 02:40 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

LXD55 RA Gear Problem

Posted By Mike LeHere

I removed the RA motor last night to adjust the mesh of the RA gears. I noticed there was some free play in the bronze(brass?) gear on the motor side. Is this normal or is there additional work that I must do? If so, what is needed next? Should I retrain the motors after adjusting the gears?

Thanks,
Mike

June 3, 2003 05:26 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Hard wood Tripod Legs

Posted By Mike LeHere

I'm looking for a good set of ash, oak, mahogony or other hardwood tripod legs to use with a Vixen GP-DX mount w/SS2K. Will be carrying either a 4" TAK or a Meade 5" ED. I'm aware of the legs that Hands-on-Optics sells. They are functional but am interested in a bit better quality and appearance without breaking the bank. Thanks,

MIke

November 19, 2003 02:14 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Biniviewers and Eyepieces

Posted By Mike LeHere

I recently purchased a used Denk Std. binoviewer on Astromart. Because of the initial expense of the binoviewer, I am limited on what I can initially afford for eyepieces. I have a set of 25mm Scopetronics plossls. I also have a 16mm UO Konig II or a 15mm Panoptic I could double up with initially for medium power. What are you suggestions here. I have an excellent set of eyepieces for cyclops viewing. These include 40mm Pentax XL, 28mm Pentax XL, 21mm Pentax XL, 15mm Panoptic, 9mm T6 Nagler, 6mm UO ortho, and 4mm UO ortho. I'm confident that over time I'll be able to accumulate a decent set for the binos but am looking for suggestions in the meantime. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mike L.

November 26, 2003 05:10 PM Forum: Binoviewers

28mm Pentax XLs or 30mm Ultimas?

Posted By Mike LeHere

I have a 14", f4.7 dob and a 127Ed and FS102 that I use my Denk
Standards with. I am currently using a pair of 25mm plossls(Chinese),
a pair of 21mm Pentax XLs and a pair of 16mm UO Konigs as eyepieces.
I want to add a pair of low mag eyepieces to complete my set. I am
considering buying a pair of 30mm Ultimas(50mm afov) or adding a 28mm
Pentax XL(55mm afov) to the one I already own. (This is a great
eyepiece in cyclops mode.) The price is not that much different with
either option. I looking for input as to which way to go or perhaps
an alternative I haven't considered.

Mike L.

December 31, 2003 03:36 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Thermal Equilibrium for Eyepieces.

Posted By Mike LeHere

I have often wondered if there is a cool down time for eyepieces as there is with telescopes. My dob is stored in an unheated garage and is simply rolled out and nearly ready to go. I keep my eyepieces stored in cases in the house. Would using eyepieces straight from the house for viewing affect the image one sees until the eyepieces reaches surrounding temp or is there no affect bringing a warmer eyepiece from inside and immediately using it at the scope?

Mike LeHere