My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Michael Matassa

December 3, 2004 01:49 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

DSLR vs CCD

Posted By Michael Matassa

I'd like to address this question to all of you who are taking such stunning images with DSLR's (you know who you are; don't be modest!).

I've been in the process recently of simplifying my astronomy hobby in order to take better advantage of my limited free time (and energy). I'm seriously considering selling my HX916 and using the proceeds on a DSLR. Good idea or will I likely regret it?

My scopes consist of a Borg 76ED and a not yet received 8" f/4.9 Newt bought via Astromart. I also have a 10" f/10 SCT that I may or may not keep.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Mike

December 10, 2004 01:27 PM Forum: Lost Contacts and Personal Messages

Jeff Welch, please contact me!

Jeff, my replies to your emails regarding purchasing my TT filter set are getting bounced back as undeliverable. Can't find you in the Astromart profiles, either.

Thanks!
Mike

December 14, 2004 04:04 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Sale to Astromart User in Belgium

Just wanted to get opinions on this:

I'm selling an HX916 and accessories and have a buyer in Belgium who has been an Astromart user since May 2004 but has no ratings. He is going to pay via paypal, but the payment is coming from a company in Holland. He wants it insured for only $250 due apparently to import fees or the like. Is there any potential for a scam coming back to haunt me in this? I've asked for and received assurances (for what it's worth) that if it's lost in transit he's not going to ask me to make up the difference.

What do you think?

Thanks!

April 4, 2005 12:20 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Jupiter, Europa & Io with Minolta 7D dslr

This isn't a great image by any standards, but better than I expected to be able to get. Taken on a very windy but clear night from my driveway on 3/13/2005. Stack of 9 images using ImagesPlus. Levels, unsharp mask applied in PS 6.0.

Konica Minolta 7D, Orion 8" f/4.9 Newtonian reflector, Celestron CG5-ASGT, two 2.5x PowerMates.

April 11, 2005 01:02 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Solar Eclipse from Magnolia, TX (NNW of Houston)

Two photos taken with a Konica Minolta 7D dslr attached to an 8" Orion Newtonian reflector, using Baader solar filter.

First image is near maxiumum for my area, 2nd is near the end of the eclipse when clouds had started to move in.

http://www.e-m42.com/images/SolarSystem/Sun/SolarEclipse_081.JPG

http://www.e-m42.com/images/SolarSystem/Sun/SolarEclipse_108.JPG

Thanks for looking!
Mike

December 7, 2004 12:47 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

DSLR vs CCD

...I still can't decide! If I still had the kind of income I had when I initially got into this hobby (outsourcing of high-tech jobs took care of that!) it'd be a no-brainer - keep the HX916 (or upgrade!) and buy a DSLR.

My main reason for wanting a DSLR, which I didn't state in my original post, is because I know I'll take many more non-astro pics than I currently do. My hope was that a DSLR would provide high enough quality astro images to justify selling the HX916.

I've seen what to my eyes are some really stunning astro images taken with DSLR's, though I suppose they have been predominantly bright objects. Of course, as limited as my time at the scope is, I have to wonder how many really faint objects I'll ever get around to imaging! I've barely made a dent in the bright objects, and the images I've achieved so far are hardly worth bragging about.

Anyway....thanks for the input. It's all been quite useful and very interesting. Now I just need to sort it all out and decide what I want to do.

Mike

December 29, 2004 01:49 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

First Light - D70 and Registax V3

Nice image!

Guess I'll add mine here, too. This is a single image, no processing done other than conversion from RAW to jpeg and resized. Minolta Maxxum 7D dslr and Orion 8" f/4.9 Newt.

April 2, 2005 05:18 PM Forum: A Day in the Life of the Administrator

you can't possibly think i'll fall for this can yo

Funny, but I got responses to all of my ads postes last night from the same email address. I was immediately suspicious and searched for that address in User Profiles and it didn't turn up a hit. Searched forums and found this post from this morning. Guess I was rightfully suspicious!

April 11, 2005 01:07 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

New Image: Leo Trio

Amazing photo! I'd sell my soul to get an image like that with my 76ED!

July 26, 2005 02:07 PM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

Reviews/ Opinions of Maxxum 7D

David, I've had a 7D since just before Christmas and love it. It was an easy decision for me due to a collection of Maxxum lenses and other accessories, but I certainly don't regret it. I haven't done a lot of astrophotography with it yet, but have been pleased by what little I've managed to find time for.

Mike