New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Pernel Johnson

July 17, 2003 05:34 AM Forum: Eyepieces

What Radian should I get???

Posted By Pernel Johnson

Bob,

IMO unless you are in an area where seeing and transparency is typically good, the 10mm or 12mm would be your best bet. They would give you around 200x and 170x respectively with decent FOV. You could always use your barlow when seeing permits. It sounds as though you don't want to purchase an eyepiece that gets very little use.

I own the 4, 8, 12, and 18mm Radians. I use these with a N11GPS and FS-102. The 4mm is exclusively for the Tak FS-102 and the 8mm thru 18mm will be used on both. I don't expect that I will get much out of the 8mm on the N11, but the FS-102 should get plenty of use from it.

Pernel

August 11, 2003 05:26 AM Forum: Eyepieces

Russel Optics crosshair eyepieces

Posted By Pernel Johnson

Fernando,

I own the 12mm crosshair eyepiece. I use it to get my NX11GPS aligned and that's all. It works very well for that intended purpose. I don't use it for observing and usually when I am aligning the NX11 I am looking at an unfocused star. I am not sure of your purpose for using it, but for the money it's a bargain.

Hope this helps,

Pernel

August 24, 2003 10:11 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Controlling Mars Brightness

Posted By Pernel Johnson

Lawrence,

I was out last night looking at Mars and used a neutral density filter. It helped alot in cutting down the brightness and allowing me to see subtle detail.

Hope this helps,

Pernel

September 1, 2003 07:31 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Introducing city folk to the Milky Way

Posted By Pernel Johnson

Paul,

I can't say I have been asked that question before, except from myself. In my suburban backyard if the transparency is good I can glimpse the Milky Way pretty easily in certain spots.

This past weekend I visited my parents in SE NC. I forgot as a child how beautiful the skies were. This weekend reminded me of those days and I too for the longest thought there were just light clouds in the sky. This weekend I could see the Milky Way exploding from the Sagitarius region all the way up to the Cassiopeia region with dark rifts and rich star fields. It was awesome just viewing naked eye.

Pernel

November 15, 2003 07:58 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

CG5 drives on Apogee HD mount

Posted By Pernel Johnson

Hi Tom,

I used to own one of the Apogee HD mounts. I attempted to do the same thing with the CG-5 dual axis drives. The problem is they Apogee HD mount is a different version of the the GP clone than the CG-5. I did not want to go through the modifications that you are thinking of attempting and finally purchased one of the RA motors from Apogee. These motors are almost identical to the GP mount motors and are made to fit the HD mount.

The folks at Apogee did say the modifications you want to make can be done. I just was not willing to do them.

Hope this helps,

Pernel

November 29, 2003 08:57 PM Forum: TeleVue

27mm pan vrs 22mm Nagler

Posted By Pernel Johnson

Dan,

I have purchased both of these eyepieces. I still own the the 22T4. I purchased the 27mm Pan first and when using it in my f/10 system I swore I would never sell it. Some how the 22T4 came in the picture. Same ER, larger TFOV and higher mag I figured I would give it a try. IMO, both eyepieces are great, but the Nagler edges the Pan in contrast. Both were sharp to the edge in my f/10 system.

Hope this helps,

Pernel

December 18, 2003 01:43 PM Forum: TeleVue

Nagler zoom or 2.5x Powermate?

Posted By Pernel Johnson

Jarad,

I have just gone through a similar scenario. I have the 9T6, 13T6 and 16T5 Naglers. I have not viewed through a 3-6mm Zoom, but I have seen one and was very impressed with it.

What I have settled on is to use the Powermate with those 3 eyepieces to get to focal lengths below 9T6 (6.4mm, 5.2mm and 3.6mm). I will also use the Powermate with a Vixen 8-24mm Zoom, which gives me the ability to zoom in based on seeing conditions. I can't see being able to go higher on mag than these combination, based on the normal seeing where I live.

Hope this helps,

Pernel

January 3, 2004 12:40 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

16mm Nagler Tpye 5

Posted By Pernel Johnson

Ed,

I can only agree with Floyd in calling Al or the vendor about this problem.

I have not had this problem with the one I own. In fact, this is the second one I have owned. It is typically the one I reach for when doing lunar and planetary observing with my NX11, as it gives about the best images when the atmosphere does not cooperate. When the atmosphere is cooperating I increase the mag and the 16T5 stays in the case. I also use this eyepiece in my FS-102. These are slower systems than your f/7, but I am not sure this should make that much difference.

Good luck,

Pernel

January 18, 2004 12:53 PM Forum: Celestron

C-8 Disassembly Drawing Wanted!

Posted By Pernel Johnson

Hi Dennis,

Try this link also.

http://ngc1514.com/Celestron/disassem.htm

Good luck,

Pernel

January 23, 2004 11:46 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Seeing scale

Posted By Pernel Johnson

Hi David,

Pickering's scale is the one I see being referred to most of the time.

Here's a link to a sight with examples of each level.

http://uk.geocities.com/dpeach_78/pickering.htm

Hope this helps,

Pernel