New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Pernel Johnson

January 29, 2004 06:14 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Mounting C-9.25 to an Ultra C-9.25 fork mount

Posted By Pernel Johnson

Hi Rick,

If you have one of the newer C9.25, you will have to tap holes in the OTA for it to fit the Ultima Fork Mount. You will also have to tap those holes at an angle, so be very careful.

Good luck,

Pernel

February 7, 2004 09:19 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Priceless

Posted By Pernel Johnson

Robert,

Herb should give you a year sponsorship for that ad.smile
Welcome to Astromart.

February 16, 2004 06:17 AM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

Burgess Binocs

Posted By Pernel Johnson

Charles,

I have not purchased a pair of these, but saw a pair of the 8x42s last fall at the PSSG. I gentleman compared them to a pair of high end binoculars (I don't remember the brand) and he was so impressed with them that he immediately purchased 2 pair.

I just received a pair of the 15x70s and I am very pleased with the quality.

Sorry I could not be more specific to your question.

Pernel

March 13, 2004 05:00 AM Forum: Takahashi

FS-102II Pictures

Posted By Pernel Johnson

I see they are not using the manhole cover anymore.

March 21, 2004 11:54 AM Forum: Celestron

DSO viewing

Posted By Pernel Johnson

Shawn,

I have own a N11 and the DSO views with it have exceeded my expectations. The brighter galaxies (M31, M33, M51, M82 to name a few) starts to show some structure, but for the most part are still faint fuzzies. Seeing condition and light pollution definitely factors in here also. For example two weeks ago I was looking at M51 and could just make out the core of it and it's companion. The seeing conditions were not very good. This past Friday, the seeing was much better and I could make out some structure in these same objects. One other thing that factors in is experience observing and patience at the eyepiece. The later I am still learning to do, instead of looking at an object for 30 seconds and moving on to the next. Of course, getting to some darker skies will make these views even better.

The N11 are right at the treshold of allowing structure in galaxies and deeply resolving globular clusters and faint planetary nebulae.

Just my .02

Hope it helped,

Pernel

March 25, 2004 04:49 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Double Transit Animation

Posted By Pernel Johnson

Now that is awesome. Great work Yu!!! I missed the actual viewing, but this made it almost seem as if I were actually watching it.

Pernel

April 8, 2004 09:52 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Need 102mm to 120 mm refractor tube diameters

Posted By Pernel Johnson

Try skywatchertelescopes(dot)com. Go to products, specifications and then scroll to the right you will find the columns for the size scopes you are looking for. There is a row with tube dimensions stated in cm.

May 10, 2004 06:26 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Q-4 from OREGON COAST.

Posted By Pernel Johnson

John,

I looked at it Saturday night from a dark sight. It was an easy naked-eye object from there. I looked at through a pair of 15x70 binoculars and a 4" refractor @ 19x. It is a very impressive comet with a bright coma and faint but discernable fan-like tail. We were even able to watch it occult a star which was pretty neat. I am looking forward watching it progress.

Pernel

May 31, 2004 11:42 AM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

1278 Scopes for sale

Posted By Pernel Johnson

Floyd,

I personally know this gentleman that's selling the 1278. He purchased the scope from BO back in January, so he is not selling it so quick after purchase.

He had a G-11 on order that was damage during shipping and did not have a chance to mount the scope. He finally had the mount repaired and first light occurred in May. I happened to be there the night of his first light and can confirm the performance of his report as noted in the ad. You may recall I own a NX11GPS and Jim previously sold his. He and I have talked about his missing the C11 and he has waivered back and forth on getting another one. I guess everytime one of Burgess' scopes go up for sell everyone is thinking something must be amist with all the bead pub Burgess Optical has had. I guess that natural. Based on Jim's observing habits what would you do?

Clear skies,

Pernel

June 12, 2004 12:08 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Thousand Oaks address?

Posted By Pernel Johnson

John,

Try this http://www.thousandoaksoptical.com

Good luck

Pernel