New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Pernel Johnson

August 4, 2005 07:32 AM Forum: Astro Binoculars

New Oberwerk 15x70s HELP!

Posted By Pernel Johnson

Jerry,

I think what you saw is typical in a pair 15x70s. I have a pair purchased from Burgess Optical and see the same thing you are seeing when look at Jupiter. I have no problem seeing the four moons, but never get a clean image of the disk. I think what this type of binocular is good at is scanning the Milky Way, viewing OC and maybe some double stars. I never intended to use mine for planetary or lunar viewing, so my expectations did not fall short. What I was surprised at was being able to see galaxies, such as M104.

Maybe some others can lend advice on lunar and planetary viewing with binoculars.

Hope this helped,

Pernel

August 16, 2005 08:39 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Power supply for Kendrick Heater

Posted By Pernel Johnson

Hi Tom,

Using 2 sources is what I do. I ran into the same problems a few years ago, but I was using a 33aH battery with a splitter and my NX11GPS would struggle when I had the heater controller attached. Going to 2 sources solved that problem.

Hope this helps,

November 15, 2005 06:49 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Celestron telescope

Posted By Pernel Johnson

This looks like the Celestar 8. The tripod will determine if this the Standard C8 with Wedgepod (non removable wedge) or Deluxe version with removable heavy duty wedge.

Which tripod/mount looks more like the one you have?

Celestar 8 - http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=388577

Celestar 8 Deluxe - http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=343555

One other thing the C8 Deluxe has the PEC feature in the base of the fork arms.

December 12, 2005 01:18 PM Forum: Celestron

Celestron Customer Support deteriorating?

Posted By Pernel Johnson

Jim,

I'm sorry you are having a difficult time with Tech Support. I think your case maybe an isolated case. Just in the past two weeks I have been in contact with Celestron about a problem I'm having. I spoke with tech support and received a return authorization number to ship the scope in for correction. I even called them back that same day and left them a message and they returned my call within a few hours. Now that my scope has been delivered I'd be curious to see quickly they will turn things around, especially since it a minor repair.

Good luck,

Pernel

January 11, 2006 04:08 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

M51 with C9.25

Posted By Pernel Johnson

Vincent,

Very nice image. Of all the images of M51 I looked at I've never noticed the other Galaxies in your image (bottom middle and to the left of NGC5195).

Pernel

March 25, 2006 07:22 AM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

What are my chances of seeing M104 ...

Posted By Pernel Johnson

I have seen it in my 15x70 binoculars in moderately light polluted skies, so it should not be a problem with your 70mm refractor. Start with the lowest powered eyepiece you have. When I found it I was surprised, but it was there and obvious. It was just a smudge, so don't expect too much.

April 19, 2006 05:56 AM Forum: Eyepieces

Kellners! thoughts, mini review, and photo

Posted By Pernel Johnson

John, great write-up and sharing of your thoughts!

July 17, 2006 08:38 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Big south pole!

Posted By Pernel Johnson

Mike,

Simply awesome!

January 13, 2007 11:32 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Daylight McNaught

Posted By Pernel Johnson

That's neat. I just wish the clouds would go away here. Or I need to get off work early on an evening when it clear.

February 13, 2007 11:11 AM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

History of Astromart

Posted By Pernel Johnson

Hi Gary,
Astromart existed before 2001. I recall making some puchases and selling some items around 1997 and the website existed before then. It looked similar to what astronomy-mall website looks like now and was owned by a gentleman named Robert Fields. In 2000 ATWB purchased Astromart. The rest is history (no pun intended).

I became a member as soon as that became a requirement.

Regards,

Pernel