New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Pernel Johnson

November 7, 2008 03:20 PM Forum: Takahashi

TAK Top Plate ID

Posted By Pernel Johnson

Hi Scott,
It's called a "Bridge". It looks like you'll have to specifically ask for it, as it does seem to be a part advertised separately. Give TNR a call.

November 7, 2008 09:12 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Saturn

Posted By Pernel Johnson

Nice work, Jim. Those rings are really thinning out.

November 23, 2008 02:17 PM Forum: Eyepieces

What does O.P.S Mean on side of my U.O ortho

Posted By Pernel Johnson

Hi Jeff,

O.P.S. = Orthoscopic Planetary Series. These were a series of orthos that supposedly had special coatings for enhancing planetary viewing. IIRC, they were only sold for a short period.

January 24, 2009 02:03 AM Forum: Astro-Physics

TMB 92mm vs Stowaway F5

Posted By Pernel Johnson

APM just mentioned a 95/650 triplet. Check out the APM forum to see the detail.

May 25, 2009 01:58 AM Forum: Takahashi

Attaching Losmandy Dovetail to Mewlon 210 base ?

Posted By Pernel Johnson

Hi Tony,
Congratulations on your M210! I own one nad have it mounted on a GM-8. I tried the 7" dovetail at first but the holes were off just a little and wouldn't line up with the holes on the Mewlon. I then used an ADM 11" dovetail that's slotted on both ends, so I would not have screw alignment issues. It works like a charm. Good luck and enjoy that Mewlon.

July 20, 2009 12:44 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Black impact mark on Jupiter

Posted By Pernel Johnson

Great job, Anthony! These amateur astronomy forums are great. Better than the mainstream media. smile

December 30, 2009 11:56 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Your 2010 Wish List / Shopping list ???

Posted By Pernel Johnson

1. Clear skies and time to get under them grin
2. Maybe some Televue Radians/T6s

December 31, 2009 03:07 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

ISS transits the moon

Posted By Pernel Johnson

Superb job, Alex!

January 26, 2010 06:31 PM Forum: Takahashi

Tak Mewlon 210

Posted By Pernel Johnson

Bob, I have both a Mewlon 210 (M210) and TSA-102. I love using both of them and since they share the same mount I have a hard time choosing which to use on a given night. The two scopes complement each other very well, however, aperture rules. I do mostly lunar, planetary and double star observing and both scopes do what they are supposes to at their respective aperture.

Contrast in the M210 is great and when looking at DSO objects it makes me think I’m using a scope with aperture greater than 8.26”. Lately when viewing M42 there is a wealth of detail in the nebula. Both E and F stars have been observable with direct vision (no twinkling in and out), even last night when the seeing was poor here.

When viewing planets the view through the M210 will obviously be much brighter than the TSA-102. Some detail visible in the TSA is much easier to see with the M210. There are diffraction spikes with the M210, but they are not objectionable to my eyes. They can get in the way of double star work by blocking the observation of a dim secondary. The M210 excels at lunar observing too. They contrast makes the different shades of grays stand out on the lunar surface and the views are refractor-like.

Given all the positives I find with the M210, the biggest frustration I have when using it is seeing conditions (greater aperture magnifies poor seeing more). Another thing as refractor-like some of the views it provides there’s still nothing like the views through the TSA-102, especially when doing double star observing. The wider FOV of the TSA also gives it an advantage when observing DSOs like M45 and the double cluster.

Recently, I had considered sell both of these and going with a TEC-140 or something in the 130mm range. In the end I’ve concluded for me there would be that much improvement.

Just my .02,

September 6, 2010 06:53 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

This One Is Getting Old

Posted By Pernel Johnson

#2 Cropped @ 456 UTC on 21010906 (or Age 27d 09h 47m)