My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Phillip Ostroff

September 29, 2006 03:55 AM Forum: After Dark

The most enjoyable item to view after dark

Posted By Phillip Ostroff

I'll never grow tired of looking at globulars. The scale and composition of those things is staggering, and it will never cease to amaze me. I also enjoy watching transits of Jupiter, very cool.

October 1, 2006 04:29 AM Forum: Eyepieces

How good are they? Orion Stratus

I have the 8mm, 13mm and 21mm. For the price, I think they are tremendous value. I use them on my XT6 Dob and my LX200 8" Classic (F6.3). They are pretty much tack sharp, except perhaps in the last 5-10% of the field of view. Then again, I look at objects in the center of the field of view anyway so I don't get bothered by outer edge performance (this differs from observer to observer).

October 11, 2006 01:13 AM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Daytime observing

I have found both Saturn and Jupiter during the day. I have an LX200 Classic, and did a "null alignment" find on both objects which both easily fell into the field of view. (This was at a school demo I helped with last year) Jupiter, we could make out two main cloud bands. Saturn was very recognizable and kinda cool with the dark blue background.

October 16, 2006 12:41 AM Forum: Home Observatories

Home Observatory for Sale.Will go Fast!

I have no time for a "fixer upper" like this. I want a house and observatory in pristine condition. Also, that water on the nearby beach is a bit too clear for my liking, and the sand is a bit too golden.

January 22, 2007 06:18 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

"That comet" from "Down Under".

"
Maurice Clark said:
Why is it, that when I lived in Oz, the best comets were observable from the northern hemisphere.... now that I am stuck in the USA, guess where the best comets are...????!!!!!!!!! :C cwy >sad cwy :C

Mumble, mumble, mumble.........

Funny, Maurice. As another expat living in the US, I wonder the same. It also doesn't help that my dad emails me constantly about his great views from down there.

Still, there's enough fun stuff up here to keep me going for a while! (And the equipment is cheaper too!)

Cheers,
Phil

http://theguvnah.blogspot.com

February 16, 2007 02:16 AM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

My Binocular Setup

I have those binocs too, and they are superb! Sometimes I really do think that's the best way to get into the hobby, a good pair of binos, a star chart and a clear sky! Good luck!

March 22, 2007 04:22 AM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

12v or 18v DC Power Source for LX200 Classic

Hey Paul,

I run my Classic from an 18v 75AH marine deep cycle battery using a 12 volt-18 volt convertor. I actually put my marine battery into a marine battery cover box and wired in some car cigarette lighters. The scope loves it and I can also run a laptop or dew zapper from if needed. It's also easier to transport, albeit a little heavy.

Here's a link to show you what I did. Total cost about $80.00 from Walmart!

http://theguvnah.blogspot.com/2006/03/power-supply-is-done.html

Cheers,
Phil

October 25, 2007 03:28 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Holmes

Here's my feeble attempt, using a hand-held point and shoot zoomed into my Pan 22mm! It's probably a better object to look at naked eye right now, but will be interesting to see what it does over the next few days/weeks.

January 17, 2008 03:19 PM Forum: SCI-FI

Best Science Fiction novelist ever?

I have to say I am quite partial to H.G. Wells. For the time, his writing is astounding and quite visionary.

Cheers,
Phil

February 15, 2008 01:06 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

How about an M46?

Lovely photo, Paul. I actually viewed that object for the first time this past Friday night and I thought it was quite a sight! Your photo does it much justice, nice!

Cheers,
Phil