Posts Made By: Paul McCarl

August 27, 2002 02:36 AM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Coronado first light!!!

Posted By Paul McCarl

Hey Paul,

Three questions:

First, why is it yellow instead of red?

Second, If you are up all night shooting the faint fuzzies and spend your days shooting our nearest star, when are you ever going to sleep?

and Third, You own a Mak-Newt, an AP 900 mount, an uncountable number of toys and trinkets for your Nikon Coolpix 995, and now a solar prominence filter, not to mention the money you are spending on ice to cheat your God given dark current count, why haven't you just dropped the bucks for a real astro CCD so you can really make us jealous? You aren't holding out for a $20,000 AP are you?

Screw the Jones's, I can't keep up with the Hyndman's! But is sure fun watching for your posts and wishing. For a while I am going to try to be satisfied with a SAC 7 and my LXD-55 10", but I already wanted a prominence filter and now you are just going to make it worse by posting all these nice images.

Here's to the journey!

Paul McCarl

September 12, 2002 04:06 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Got Broadband? You'll need it....:-)

Posted By Paul McCarl

Awesome Jeff! Enough said.

Paul McCarl

September 17, 2002 04:53 AM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Want advice on next lens for camera...

Posted By Paul McCarl

You should see if there is an adapter from m42 to your olympus mount. There are alot of great universal screw mount lenses available and they are cheap.

I would try around 200-300mm, but that is six times the focal length and a proportional increase in tracking errors. Everything comes at a price. 8^)

Paul

October 12, 2002 10:01 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

My first pics...

Posted By Paul McCarl

That cracks me up. You have got to love an LX200 when it is working well. You decide to try imaging and start off with NGC891. I spent two hours last night at our club's observatory while three of us searched for NGC 891 in the 16" Ealing scope. No luck. Who says goto isn't worth while?

Paul McCarl

October 13, 2002 08:34 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Canon D60 Andromeda

Posted By Paul McCarl

Needs more time and more exposures.

October 13, 2002 08:36 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Canon D60 Andromeda

Posted By Paul McCarl

Pretty happy with this one.

Paul

October 13, 2002 08:41 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Canon D60 Andromeda

Posted By Paul McCarl

Ok, I cheated here. I used three different length images and some creative compositing to make an image the shows the detail across areas that were originally burned out. Not quite as bad as taking credit for a Hubble image, so I will just call it creative license.

Those little Orion 5" Mak's have some nice optics. I was impressed. I was wishing I had tried it on some of the other objects.

Paul

October 13, 2002 08:43 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Canon D60 Andromeda

Posted By Paul McCarl

One shot just isn't enough. You will notice I didn't put my name on it. 8^)

Paul

October 14, 2002 02:53 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

M31, M32, M110 - Canon D60

Posted By Paul McCarl

Very nice, Mike.

The D60 is an awesome camera, isn't it?

Keep it up.

Paul McCarl

October 15, 2002 06:38 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Solar Prom Hedgerow 14-Oct-02

Posted By Paul McCarl

Warts? We should all have warts like that.

Impressive as always, Paul!

Paul McCarl