December 10, 2009 04:09 AM Forum: After Dark

Strange spiral 'cloud'

Posted By Steven Lynn

I think it's Stargate...

Steven

January 29, 2010 09:58 PM Forum: Celestron

Celestron 30mm Silvertop

Posted By Steven Lynn

It is probably the rarest of the silvertops. I've had two. I think they were made in Taiwan, not Japan. Of the Silvertops I've had, and I've had a bunch in probably all the sizes, this was the lowest quality. Not horrible, but outclassed by a Celestron 30mm 'pre-Ultima' instead.

What is a 'pre-Ultima?' (My term). These have a black top section, with a knurled band near the top. Lettering could be orange or white. They came after the silvertops but before the Ultima line. The one I have is white, printed/painted on, and is 'Multi-coated." I think the Ultima line were fully multi-coated. Brighter, more contrast than the silvertop.

On the other hand, the 36mm Silvertop is a great one.

Steven

July 2, 2011 05:28 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Optional Accessory or Due Diligence?

Posted By Steven Lynn

They have competition...

http://zapatopi.net/afdb/

...and if you think this is all a joke, read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_MKULTRA

MK Ultra, or Mind (K)Control Ultra, was a secret CIA program to investigate the possibility of controlling peoples minds. Released documents focus largely on drugs, hypnosis, sensory deprivation, and brainwashing. Other methods that seem to have fallen off the radar are electronic devices.

By the way, this thread is an example of the phenomena I call post-posterous. When first presented, the subject is clearly pre-posterous. But, with additional information, the subject turns serious, even plausible (to a limited degree), and is now no long preposterous. It is postposterous!

Sorry.

Steven

March 13, 2012 03:18 AM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Read the ad!

Posted By Steven Lynn

Hi Red. Here is my take:

1. hundreds, maybe thousands of people will see that ad.

2. Some of them are drinking..... 8O

More seriously, when you put things up for sale, there is always the possibility someone with a loose screw will contact you. Put up enough ads, and it will happen. Also, people can just make an honest mistake. Maybe they had several tabs/windows open and got mixed up.

Just move along to the next reply.

SL

July 20, 2013 12:23 AM Forum: Stolen Equipment - Please Help

Theft at Company Seven

Posted By Steven Lynn

"I do not intend to put replacement telescopes or binoculars on display until all hardening measures are in place."

I once worked at a business that was burglarized, and a few years ago some friends were also victims. In both cases the burglars came back a few weeks later for a second round. The first time they got stuff; the second time around they got the new replacement stuff.

Now you know.

SL

August 2, 2013 05:10 AM Forum: TeleVue

Thumb screws to mount Clamshell Ring to Telepod He

Posted By Steven Lynn

Call Tele Vue. From past experience I'd bet 99% they will have them.

Steven

November 4, 2005 10:26 PM Forum: Polls

Allow HOTMAIL and YAHOO on AstroMart

Posted By Steven Lynn

Yes, it will help me:
Utility: my Astromart account goes to one of my internet providers. I have a dial-up at work & home, and dsl at home. Using one email only would just make my life simpler. The portability of Yahoo is a blessing. I've gone through 4 dial-up providers. 2 went belly up and one was sold. I lost all sorts of email everytime a change was made.

Security: scammers will always find their way around security. I think this is a barrier that only 'punishes' the honest people. Thinking that having a 'real' email account and ISP is more secure than a credit card on file I think is false security.

Economic discrimination: some people can't afford to pay for an ISP, or choose not to. In the past several years there were a few months at a time between providers when I relied on the local library and an internet cafe. Not all internet cafes are full of Nigerian scammers. This was in downtown Pasadena, CA. I saw Brits, Japanese, Aussies, Nicaragians, but no Nigerians. wink There were even Nuns! Having a Yahoo account for email was great.

end of rant