New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Klaus Brasch

August 22, 2009 03:14 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Orion Star Shoot Autoguider

Posted By Klaus Brasch

Hello:

I recently got an Orion Star Shoot Autoguider for imaging with a TeleVue 101 combined with an 80 mm refractor as guide scope, both mounted on a Losmandy G-11. For the most part this set up works very well. Occasionally, however, while calibrating on a guide star, the PDH guide software will run for about a minute and then warn: Calibration Failed - star did not move enough.

Does anyone know what this means since nothing on the mount has changed other than targeting another object? Thanks.

Klaus

May 1, 2010 07:00 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Pier-Tech piers

Posted By Klaus Brasch

Hello:

Does anyone out there have experience using Pier Tech adjustable piers? Specifically do they retain precise polar alignment as claimed by the manufacturer when raised or lowered? I can see the advantage for observing but is alignment good enough for imaging?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Klaus

June 11, 2010 03:22 PM Forum: Celestron

Imaging with C-11 or C-14 HD?

Posted By Klaus Brasch

Hello:

I am new to this forum. Has anyone out there actually used a C11 or C14 HD for digital imaging, or knows someone who has? The few images shown on Celestron ads and website look quite good, but it would be nice to have independent verification that HD optics are indeed superior in that regard to the traditional SCT.

Thanks,

Klaus

August 28, 2015 05:39 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

12 inch AT Ritchie Chretien

Posted By Klaus Brasch

Hello,

I am considering getting a 12-inch AT truss RC primarily for imaging. I have a Losmandy Titan mount which should be more than adequate. There seem to be very few posted images taken with this or other AT RCs and I see many of them for resale on Astromart. Does anyone out there own one and what is your conclusion? The same line of scopes in both truss and solid tube version is also sold by Orion and OPT under different brand names.

Thanks in advance for any input. Klaus

November 21, 2008 09:09 PM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

OK, heres a question about DSLR's...

Posted By Klaus Brasch

You might consider the new 15 Mp Canon 50D. It has terrific resolution and you can shoot at ISO 1600 without evident grainyness or noise. Body only sells for about the same price as the 40D.

Good luck.
Klaus

May 27, 2011 10:08 AM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

How many megapixels are just right?

Posted By Klaus Brasch

Hello Gary:

Megapix are important but only to a point, especially with a small aperture scope. My first DSLR, a modified Canon 20D with an 8 Meg sensor, took very good images as long as the ISO was no higher than 800 and the noise reduction ON. I took some great wide field piggy backs with it as well higher res through larger aperture scopes. My second camera, a modified Canon50D at basically double megs(15 Meg,) takes better images even at ISO 1600. Although resolution is definitely higher, the main difference is due to the camera's own image processing capabilities resulting in smoother, less noisy looking images. I suggest something in the 12-18 Meg is plenty to get you started.

Have fun,
Klaus

December 14, 2011 10:48 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

C-14 Eyepieces, Etc.

Posted By Klaus Brasch

Hi Charles,

I had a C-14 orange tube with great optics but went for an HD version mainly for imaging purposes. All 3 of your eyepieces should work very well with it. If you are in the market, the new Celestron Axiom series are also outstanding. I had a Lumicon GEG which worked well with it at f/7, both visually and for imaging. Problem was, most 2-inch diagonals have too long a light path to reach focus. The only exception was an old ultra-short diagonal and 32 mm Plossl from University Optics, but it did show some field curvature with the GEG. Check out OPTEC for other reducer correctors that might work better for you.

Klaus

November 24, 2014 07:47 PM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

Camera tracker

Posted By Klaus Brasch

Hi Jim,

The iOPTRON sky tracker works extremely well, provided you already have a solid camera tripod. It sells for around $300 and is solidly made. Also I recommend you get their dedicated ball head for $50.

Good luck,
Klaus

August 21, 2015 07:10 PM Forum: Mounts

autoguider with gemini 1

Posted By Klaus Brasch

Hi Jonathan,
I have used the Orion star shoot autoguider for years with my Gemini 1 on G-11 and Losmandy Titan mounts with no problems, even using an old windows XP laptop.

Check out www.coconinoastro.org for examples of my work.

Klaus

December 1, 2019 04:37 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Which choice for deep space astrophotography? RASA or Hyperstar?

Posted By Klaus Brasch

Hi,

I would opt for Hyperstar because it still leaves you with 2 other options for your C-11, prime focus at f/10 and f/6 with an inexpensive focal reducer. RASA on the other hand is fixed at f/2.

If you do want to invest in newer optics, get a C-11 HD with focal reducer. I sued that for years and was very happy.

Good luck,

Klaus Brasch