My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: J. Allen Como

February 21, 2006 01:00 PM Forum: Star Parties

Libya Eclipse Trip

Posted By J. Allen Como

My wife and I are currently booked on the TravelQuest/Sky & Telescope eclipse trip to Libya this March. I chose the Libya trip vs. the Egyptian trip as Muammar al-Qaddafi has moderated his stance towards the "West" and he seems to exercise a greater degree of control over "radicals" in his country. As you may have read there was some rioting and deaths for the first time in Libya last week, directed against an Italian consulate in Bengazhi. Of course I am keeping an eye on developments but I can't day that I'm not a little anxious. Any thoughts or advice (besides contacting the tour company).

Regards, Allen

March 7, 2006 05:17 AM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Kissimmee Pairie Star Trails

Posted By J. Allen Como

Taken at Kissimmee Pairie State Park, FL on the moring of Feb 27 with a old Canon F-1 with a 24mm lens at f5.6 using lens shade and dew heater, Fuji 100 asa film. Exposure around 3 hours. I should have gotten more foreground but I wanted to avoid the skyglow along the horizon. Can anyone auggest a filter to reduce sky glow for a wide angle exposure like this?

Thanks, Allen Como
Stuart, FL

April 12, 2006 08:14 AM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

Me, 2 Libyans and my TV Ranger

Posted By J. Allen Como

I was fortunate enough to join the S&T/TravelQuest tour to the Libyan desert for the March eclipse. The Ranger, along with a light weight tripod, TV Sol Finder, Thousand Oaks filter and 25mm UO ep, made the perfect travel scope. The views of the sun's corona w/out the filter during totality were amazing.

Regards,

Allen
Stuart, FL

June 8, 2006 04:48 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

My peepers have degraded, need advice

Posted By J. Allen Como

My factory original 1 x 7 peepers have degraded to 1 x 5 and my 21 year warranty expired over 30 years ago. I've asked my eye doctor for some of that solution he uses to dilate my eyes for use at night but he said no dice. Has anyone tried that dilation solution to increase their light gathering capability at night?

Allen

July 14, 2006 10:21 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

vhpg - viewing hours per gallon

Posted By J. Allen Como

As the price of gas is reaching new highs I thought I'd calculate my viewing hours per gallon. Driving 48 miles each way with a 2001 F150 that gets 16 mpg and averaging 3 hours per viewing session in the summer my vhpg is 2. My winter vhpg is about 1.2 as it is not a cloudy in South Florida during that time of the year.

Allen

August 16, 2006 10:27 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

I prefer 8 planets over 12+

Posted By J. Allen Como

While I know it is still a proposal I can't believe the IAU would seriously entertain creating a "pluton" class of plants which would make the asteriod Ceres and many others like it a planet. However if passed it might make things more entertaining on Jeporady.

Allen

September 21, 2006 10:32 AM Forum: Refractors

Now where did I leave that spare $40K ....

Posted By J. Allen Como

Oh well, I guess I'll have to pass on those AP scopes.

Allen

October 20, 2006 07:43 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Night vision goggles for meteorite viewing?

Posted By J. Allen Como

I just heard from a friend of a friend who has night vision goggles who described some pretty amazing sights while looking at the night sky last night. Has anyone on this forum tried this?

Allen

February 27, 2007 01:12 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Star trails w/filter - suggestions needed

Posted By J. Allen Como

I normally take 2 to 3 hour star trail pictures with just clear glass filters. I will be camping in a dark spot for a long weekend this month and would like taking star trail pics using filters I have access to, they are Lumicon Deep Sky, H-Alpha and a minus violet filter. Has anybody tried these filters in a star trail application? Any suggestions. Will be using old Canon F1 cameras (2), and 72mm, mainly wide angle lenses and fuji 100 asa film.

Thanks, Allen

August 28, 2007 06:25 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Lunar eclipse from Stuart FL

Posted By J. Allen Como

I took this from my bathroom window looking over the north fork of the St. Lucie River. For once I did not have to deal with temp., humidity and mosquito's. Nikon D40.

Regards,

Allen Como