Image of the day

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

IC 5070 + NGC 7000

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Poll

2020 President - NO COMMENTS (take to Politics Forum)

Results
Previous Polls

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Alex McConahay

May 17, 2012 02:09 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Eclipse progression

Posted By Alex McConahay

I believe you have the order correct----however, I do not believe you will have the Diamond ring, etc....phenomenom at all. That is my guess. Not an educated one, just my guess.

This eclipse will only be 93.499 % diameter, and 87.421% surface (from where I will be). I do not believe this will dim the sun enough let the edge phenomenom show through.

I have asked in various places, and am told that one must use a solar filter throughout the annularity. This is not a total eclipse. We will not get the corona, or the Beads, etc. No earthshine off the moon.

We'll know SUnday if I am right.

Alex

May 22, 2012 03:29 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Hap Griffin Workshop at RTMC

Posted By Alex McConahay

I am about to drive the trailer out the driveway on the way to RTMC and I get two requests----Is there still room in the Hap Griffin Workshop?????

Yes, you can still register and attend, but the registration website is closed down. So, please check in at the Riverside Astronomical Society booth, or see me personally when you get to Camp Oakes.

Alex

May 28, 2012 09:48 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

webcam for telrad?

Posted By Alex McConahay

What do you mean by "remote operations?" I am assuming you mean you will have a permanently established observatory in a remote location that you will operate from home.

Assuming that, I do not see how you can practically align from home. The scope, being permanently established, should already be set up and dialed in such that just turning it on, it knows where it is and where it is "parked." YOu send it to the first star, and the star really should be in (at least close to) the center of the chip. If it is not, you have not set the mount/scope up right.

I am assuming if you are contemplating remote observatory operation, you have thought about plate solving software. Pinpoint, or other software, will allow you to slew to an object, take a picture, figure out exactly where your scope is pointed, and then correct the pointing. If this won't work (because you are too far off, your equipment is not accurate enough, etc.....) then I doubt just putting a webcam behind a telrad would help much.

Alex

June 2, 2012 05:58 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Mounting a Meade 8" OTA on a GEM

Posted By Alex McConahay

People have been using the second method (mounting bar bolted to the tube) for years, and it has no drawbacks that I know of. You will need "radius blocks" or a bar shaped such to mate to the curve of the tube. (The round tube does not mate directly to a flat bar.) Otherwise, just mount away.

Alex

June 26, 2012 04:34 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Having trouble posting a pix.

Posted By Alex McConahay

Lindy,

YOu have to name a piece of equipment that Anacortes sells. When you get to the part that asks the equipment, you must search their catalog and determine what they sell that you used.

Have you done that?
(I did not find Nikon camera or 200 mm lens in their catalog)
Alex

July 8, 2012 03:18 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

member profile.

Posted By Alex McConahay

See the little boxes at the left?

See "My Account" (third bos down)

Click on "My Profile"

Does that do what you want?

Alex

July 14, 2012 08:02 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

multiple ads on multiple sites

Posted By Alex McConahay

Yes....If it is listed on Astromart Terms of Service:

See item "h" below. And just for the heck of it, we should all probably read the whole list every now and then---so here it is:

Alex

15.2. Astromart also prohibits the listing or sale of the following goods for any reason, including but not limited to any item that is illegal to sell under any applicable law, statute, ordinance or regulation:
(a) Food (other than packaged food meeting all applicable federal, state and local standards for sale to consumers by commercial merchants).
(b) Pharmaceuticals or any other controlled substance.
(c) Dangerous, counterfeit or stolen goods.
(d) Goods which do not actually exist.
(e) Any good that infringes or violates anyone’s rights.
(f) Any goods or services that violate the terms of Section 4, above.
(g) Any item which in Astromart’s™ sole discretion is inflammatory, offensive or otherwise inconsistent with Astromart’s standards of business ethics.
(h) Any item/s that are placed on any other site for sale at the same time it is offered on AstroMart™.
(i) You may not sell anything you do not own
(j) You may not sell any 3rd party items - no selling for friends or family or organizations
ANY violations can and most likely will result in the deletion of your account including ratings.

July 16, 2012 10:22 AM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Can't open photos

Posted By Alex McConahay

I am not having any problems. Try telling the Firewall that Astromart is okay....

Alex

July 18, 2012 07:46 AM Forum: Home Observatories

Solar Power

Posted By Alex McConahay

Louis,

If that is a typical day--I'd say solar is not a good choice....too many clouds.

I am sure solar can be done, but you would need lots of batteries, etc. to assure good power through the night with computers, power to the dome, etc.

Alex

August 31, 2012 07:04 AM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Carry film through electronic airport inspections?

Posted By Alex McConahay

400, 800, speed film is a bit more sensitive. I think there is a sign that 400 is Okay, but I would not trust it if you need absolutely clean film. It would be better to have it hand inspected. It would probably be okay for most purposes to just let it go through, but just to be safe, hand it to the folks at the check-in.

Alex