Image of the day

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

IC 5070 + NGC 7000

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Poll

2020 President - NO COMMENTS (take to Politics Forum)

Results
Previous Polls

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Alex McConahay

April 20, 2003 08:13 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

ST-4 Imaging

Posted By Alex McConahay

Hi all,

Anybody ever actually try to use the St-4 as an imager?

I have been guiding with it, and decided-what the heck--to try and image Jupiter. I was using CCD soft, and focusing on Jupiter--(eyepiece Projection 3.8 mm and 10 mm Plossls, TV 85). And--to make a long (cold) story short--could never really get focus or an image.

Is there a collection of helpful hints somewhere on the web?

Alex

May 14, 2003 08:01 PM Forum: TeleVue

Field Flatteners

Posted By Alex McConahay

Are the field flatteners sold for the Ranger, Pronto, and 85 the same thing--I have one for the Ranger/Pronto--and one for the 85. (Got them tossed in when I bought the scopes used. Are they the same product?

Alex

May 20, 2003 10:01 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Eyepiece Defects

Posted By Alex McConahay

Hi all,

Anybody know where there is a collection of photos on the web (or in a book) that show what various lens defects (astgmatism, color, bad edge sharpness, poor contrast, etc.) look like in a real eyepiece?

Alex

May 29, 2003 05:35 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: The best catadioptric telescope

Posted By Alex McConahay

How do you lock down the mirror on a C 9.25?

Alex

June 8, 2003 01:13 PM Forum: Meade

Corded Illuminator on LX series--Voltage

Posted By Alex McConahay

Hi all,

I recently took delivery of a corded illuminator for a reticle eyepiece. THe cord is supposed to fit into the control panel of an LX series scope. I do not have an LX scope--but I like the eyepiece. So, I need some information to get this thing to work.

What is the voltage required of this illuminator? Does the panel output allow a variance so you can control the brightness? Does the LXD have such an output?

Alex

June 9, 2003 12:18 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Visiting Mauna Kea Observatory

Posted By Alex McConahay

Hi all,

I'll be nearby this summer and would like to visit Mauna Kea Observatory. How should this be done? Take a tour, rent a four wheel drive? What? And what equipment would you take to do a liitle observing from the visitor center? (That last question was just to keep it on topic. If I take anything it will be a small refractor on a photo tripod.)

Alex

July 11, 2003 11:09 PM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

What I saw in Hawaii

Posted By Alex McConahay

Just got back from Hawaii.

Saw some real Lava. Went to the top of Mauna Kea to see the big observatories. Did a little bit of observing. Had so much fun things just kind of ran together.

Alex

July 21, 2003 05:55 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Marine battery=Deep Cycle ?

Posted By Alex McConahay

The battery on my RV gave out. No big deal except that is the battery I use when observing with remote power. I went to Wal-mart and they had no "RV" battery, or "deep-cycle" battery. The guy from automotive said the "marine" battery (yellow Maxx-29) is what I am supposed to use in the RV. I bought it home with me and its charging away out in the garage. The marine battery did not say "deep-cycle" on it anywhere, and there is no "reserve amp hours" listed on it. So--my question: Should I take it back in and go somewhere else for a deep-cycle battery--or is a marine battery a deep-cycle?

Alex

August 12, 2003 06:19 AM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Gamma Cygnus

Posted By Alex McConahay

Grandview Campground, California, July 28 2003
Meade 10 inch F 4.5 Starfinder tube on a G-11 with ST-4/Guidescope
E200 pushed one stop, 47 minutes, OM-1

Alex

August 12, 2003 07:59 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: Ignored By Seller

Posted By Alex McConahay

Sal,
Be calm.
In the first place, it may be that the seller has the flu, or had to work today (away from a computer), or his wife found out he was selling her favorite refractor, or he was arrested, or has had a severe case of cardiac arrest. And he was unable to use his computer to read and answer your e-mail.

Alex