My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: david elosser

August 25, 2009 11:37 PM Forum: Politics

UK man has appendix taken out. Twice.

Posted By david elosser

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1208970/Man-collapses-ruptured-appendix--weeks-NHS-doctors-took-out.html

Gotta love that last quote at the end of the article:

'...we would like to apologise if Mr Wattson felt dissatisfied with the care he received at Great Western Hospital.'
8O

David E
(Good thing he wasn't getting a circumcision! shocked )

August 26, 2009 12:02 AM Forum: Politics

Obama's first year as CIC is deadliest

Posted By david elosser

"Four U.S. servicemen were killed by a roadside bomb elsewhere in the south, NATO and the U.S. military said, making 2009 the deadliest year for the growing contingent of foreign troops in eight years of war."

http://in.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idINISL11764020090825?pageNumber=2&virtualBrandChannel=0

David E

August 26, 2009 01:46 PM Forum: Politics

Uk Babies born in...

Posted By david elosser

"offices, lifts, toilets and a caravan, according to the Freedom of Information data for 2007 and 2008 from 117 out of 147 trusts which provide maternity services."

"It shows the incredible waste that has taken place that mothers are getting this sort of sub-standard treatment despite Gordon Brown's tripling of spending on the NHS."

"We recognise that some parts of the country face particular challenges due to the rising birth rate and that is why last year we pledged to increase funding for maternity by £330million over three years. "

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1209034/The-babies-born-hospital-corridors-Bed-shortage-forces-4-000-mothers-birth-lifts-offices-hospital-toilets.html

Now, the question I have is, since the British health care system is so superior to ours here in the States because it is government run and ours is largely private, then this MUST BE happening here! And the United States has a much larger population, so I would guess that there must be MILLIONS of babies born in hallways, corridors, bathrooms, and reception areas across the US! Why have we not heard anything about this in our mainstream media? Why are they covering this up? Who are they trying to protect? Maybe they are trying to cover up for Republicans, who are certainly the cause of this! Yeah, that's it!

David E

August 26, 2009 03:11 PM Forum: Politics

Obama sends our tax money to convicts

Posted By david elosser

"One day after the [Boston] Herald reported some surprised Bay State inmates - including murderers and rapists - were cashing in $250 stimulus checks, federal officials revealed the same behind-bars bonus was mailed to nearly 4,000 cons nationwide."

:S

"A federal watchdog is now probing how the cons were cut the checks. The same cash also may have been sent to fugitive felons, people kicked out of the country and even individuals now deceased."

Wait a minute--- checks sent to fugitive felons?! You mean we know where they are good enough to send them a stimulus check but can't find them to arrest them??? shocked

And as usual, this administration is making excuses:

"Nationally, about 2,200 inmates who were mailed checks are entitled to the payments because they were not in prison and lawfully collecting Social Security at some point between November 2008 and January, [SSA spokesman] Richardson said."

Okay, but they were inmates (that means "in jail") at the time the stimulus checks were mailed out, weren't they? So just what makes them "intitled" to any of my money? :C

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view/20090826feds_stimulus_money_sent_to_4000_cons_herald_report_spurs_probe/srvc=home&position=also

David E

August 27, 2009 06:10 PM Forum: Politics

More on health care bill...

Posted By david elosser

I have talked about this before in another thread.

"Section 431(a) of the bill says that the IRS must divulge taxpayer identity information, including the filing status, the modified adjusted gross income, the number of dependents, and "other information as is prescribed by" regulation. That information will be provided to the new Health Choices Commissioner and state health programs..."

"Section 1801(a) says that the Social Security Administration can obtain tax return data on anyone who may be eligible for a "low-income prescription drug subsidy" but has not applied for it."

"Marc Rotenberg of the Electronic Privacy Information Center says in e-mail: [to the article's author] "We would oppose section 431(a) of the bill because it violates the intent of the Privacy Act which generally requires agencies to obtain information directly from individuals and not from other agencies." EPIC still hasn't updated their Web site to reflect this sentiment, but it's good to know that other folks have concerns too."

The author concludes: "...this vignette should be reason to be skeptical of claims that a massive and complex bill must be enacted as rapidly as its backers would have you believe."

All this from the very same crowd that complained bitterly that Bush was violating the privacy of millions of Americans. Why, I though the Democrats were supposed to be champions of our privacy?

David E

August 28, 2009 02:18 PM Forum: Politics

July and August deadliest months for U.S.

Posted By david elosser

It's official, July and August are now the deadliest months of the entire Afghan war for the United States. We have over 60,000 troops there now, and violence is escalating. What's more, a top US commander said that the supply of militants is now "effectively endless.": "When U.S. and NATO troops battle a group of 10 militants and kill two of them, the relatives of the two dead insurgents will want revenge and will likely join the insurgency, the guidelines say, spelling out the formula: "10 minus 2 equals 20 (or more) rather than 8."

So, just what is President Obama-Kennedy's end game in Afghanistan? How does President Obama-Kennedy define "victory?"
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090827/ap_on_re_as/as_afghanistan

David E

August 28, 2009 02:35 PM Forum: Politics

OOOPS! It's TAXIBLE!

Posted By david elosser

http://www.examiner.com/x-6571-Atlanta-Political-Buzz-Examiner~y2009m8d27-Cash-for-Clunkers-tax-surprises-many

[Cash for Clunkers] will be less than what [many] buyers expected, since they might end up paying taxes on the amount of the rebate even twice in some states: first, when they pay sales taxes on the price of the vehicle, and second, if the rebate is considered income, the they will have to pay state income taxes on the amount of the rebate as well.

And here is an example:
http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/money/bal-bz.ambrose04aug04,0,2206605.story
"The Baltimore resident paid state taxes on the full cost of the vehicle - before $4,500 was knocked off the price. His tax bill on the sale totaled around $1,025. By paying taxes on the clunker incentive, [the resident] figures he paid an extra $270."

David E

August 28, 2009 04:30 PM Forum: Politics

More invasion of privacy

Posted By david elosser

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10320096-38.html?tag=newsEditorsPicksArea.0

"Internet companies and civil liberties groups were alarmed this spring when a U.S. Senate bill proposed handing the White House the power to disconnect private-sector computers from the Internet."

"Other sections of [Senate Bill S773] include a federal certification program for "cybersecurity professionals," and a requirement that certain computer systems and networks in the private sector be managed by people who have been awarded that license. " (i.e., another new Czar.)

"In May, President Obama-Kennedy acknowledged that the government is "not as prepared" as it should be to respond to disruptions [in internet service]..."some [people] have begun to wonder why a government that receives failing marks on cybersecurity should be trusted to instruct the private sector what to do."

(No kidding!)

"The White House is supposed to engage in "periodic mapping" of private networks deemed to be critical (i.e. spying), and those companies "shall share" requested information with the federal government. ("Cyber" is defined as anything having to do with the Internet, telecommunications, computers, or computer networks.) Telecummications??? Shades of wire-tapping!!! Why, I thought that Democrats were champions of our privacy! I guess I thought wrong. sad

"If your company is deemed "critical," a new set of regulations kick in involving who you can hire, what information you must disclose, and when the government would exercise control over your computers or network."

Geeeeze. :S

David E

August 30, 2009 11:23 PM Forum: Politics

"I hope you go out of business."

Posted By david elosser

"On Wednesday, before he addressed a Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce luncheon, Reid joined the chamber's board members for a meet-'n'-greet and a photo. One of the last in line was the Review-Journal's director of advertising, Bob Brown, a hard-working Nevadan who toils every day on behalf of advertisers. He has nothing to do with news coverage or the opinion pages of the Review-Journal.

Yet, as Bob shook hands with our senior U.S. senator in what should have been nothing but a gracious business setting, Reid said: "I hope you go out of business.""

"But to fully capture the magnitude of Reid's remark (and to stop him from doing the same thing to others) it must be called what it was -- a full-on threat perpetrated by a bully who has forgotten that he was elected to office to protect Nevadans, not sound like he's shaking them down."

To be honest Mr Frederick, Senator Harry Reid's remark does not surprise me at all. He is the most powerfull man in the Senate, and he has spent his entire career attacking businesses and private citizens like this. And this man claims to be compassionate enough to be in charge of overhauling our health care system. You now see him for what he is, Mr Frederick, I only hope that the rest of Nevada does as well. I hope he goes out of business.

http://www.lvrj.com/opinion/56171937.html

David E

August 31, 2009 04:04 PM Forum: Politics

How's that hope & change, Detroit?

Posted By david elosser

"General Motors said on Sunday it has agreed to set up a light commercial vehicle production venture with major Chinese automaker FAW Group, with total investment of 2 billion yuan ($293 million)."

"Vehicles made at the venture will carry the FAW brand and will focus on supplying the China market, but they could be exported under a GM brand through the Detroit automaker's global network in the future..."

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE57T0IV20090830

Well, I hope GM makes LOTS of money with this venture- we have to pay for 12 trillion dollars in public debt somehow...

David E