From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

Sh2-115 Nebula

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Judson Mitchell

July 29, 2005 06:36 AM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

12 inch Dob Counterbalance

Posted By Judson Mitchell

Just bought a HOC 12" dob and have learned that it will not balance with normal eyepiece. Plus I will be adding more weight with a large 90 degree finder, paracorr, etc. Any advice/information for building a counterweight system will be greatly appreciated.

July 31, 2005 04:41 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Barlows and Paracorr

I am wondering if anyone makes a 1.5 Barlow? Seems it would be a reasonable undertaking, plus it may fit with my next question. What experience can you offer about using a Paracorr with eyepieces other than Teleview, and with various scopes. From what I have read the Paracorr could be a good addition for dob owners of F/5 or less.

August 4, 2005 08:56 AM Forum: Eyepieces

GSO Eyepieces

Has anyone evaluated GSO eyepieces? Are any of the other commercially available eyepieces actually GSOs, such as Orion, Celestron, etc? Are they worth the trouble. I am viewing with a 12" Hardin Dob.

August 9, 2005 09:48 AM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

First Filter Selection

A friend of mine and I have been struggling with the decision as to what filters to buy. Our current thinking is OIII and Orion Skyglow in that order. We are interested in DSOs such as galaxies, Nebula, P-nebula, etc. There has been no opportunity to try someone else's stuff and our skies have been crap pretty much all summer here in NW South Carolina. Please advise.

September 7, 2005 04:51 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Where are all the 1.5 X Barlows?

Maybe I am dense, but why do we see barlows from 2X to 5X but you gotta hunt for a 1.5X? Seems I am missing something here, especially in my light polluted skies, half of my eyepieces can't even tolerate 2X.

September 8, 2005 06:22 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Finding NGC7293 Helix Nebula?

After reading about NGC7293 in September Astronomy, I was excited to track it down. Last night after a painstaking path of star hopping with my 12" Dob, I finally came upon the proper field only to be disappointed with nothing visible. Granted, the sky was about 4.5 mag (using ursa minor) and the Helix Nebula was about the same distance above the horizon. So I spent 20 minutes under a shroud hoping that it would come into view. NADA! Jane Houston Jones in her article calls it a binocular object. Is this normal?

September 14, 2005 06:44 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

To Flock or not to Flock

OK I am considering flocking my tube, not because of some difficulty, because it sounds like I should. My recent purchase is a 12"HOC with of course a black inside tube. How do I tell that flocking is really necessary? Is there any test short of Flocking?

September 17, 2005 02:07 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Mirror Adjustment Problem HOC 12"

I was struggling with keeping my HOC 12" mirror in collimation when I found out that the mirror cell was not held firm enough with the provided springs. Only by tighening the screws well down would they not float. Unfortunately then my 1.5X Barlow would not reach focus. So I found some springs at Ace Hardware and meshed them together with the originals so that the springs would provide enough pressure on the screws to keep them from floating. Has anyone else had this problem.

September 26, 2005 07:24 AM Forum: Eyepieces

Proxima 1.5 X 2" Barlow

I have recent acquired a 1.5 X 2" Proxima Barlow. My initial opinion is good. There is apparently no image quality loss. With the reduced field of view, in most eyepieces stars are fairly sharp to the edge of FOV. With my few wide FOV eyepieces, image tends to degrade at about 70-80 percent area. Have used it on both Being a novice at evaluations and not having excellent skies to make an evaluation, can anyone else comment on this Barlow?

November 9, 2005 04:30 AM Forum: Eyepieces

Re: Safety undercuts

Sounds like there is a market out there for smooth barrels. Isn't there someone willing to take on that job? Small machine shop should be able to turn out bunches.