My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Judson Mitchell

January 8, 2008 01:16 AM Forum: Global Warming - REAL or NOT

My last post on this topic-for now

Posted By Judson Mitchell

What may be more appropriate is for someone to show where and how the data in this paper is incorrect. In my opinion the authors do go beyond an appropriate presentation of the data to make assumtions about resultant changes in the future which would have been better left out.

January 8, 2008 07:53 PM Forum: SCI-FI

Best Sci Fi Ever

For mass entertainment value: Star Wars
For culture development: Dune
First best: Forbidden planet
The first that scared the crap out of me: The Day the Earth Stood Still.

For Really Old Nostalgia Buffs: War of the Worlds(first release).

I believe that education and or family issues kept me from ever seeing 2001. Will have to indulge.

January 13, 2008 03:03 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

January DSO List

Wow; the first time I had a head start. Have checked out perhaps a couple dozen in the past few weeks before the post. But, to do a majority of the items posted is still a daunting task. Especially when you are sitting at your computer responding to posts instead of observing. Clouds, clouds, clouds. My favorites were the planetaires 2022 and 1501. The later found now using a star path from Epsilon-Cassiopeiae to Kimble's Cascade.

January 29, 2008 02:22 AM Forum: Eyepieces

Andromeda Eyepiece

My best view of Andromeda at a dark location was with 20X100 binos giving about 2.5 degrees. Andromeda essentially filled the field, i.e., went from edge to edge. Perhaps an 8" F/5 mirror with a 31mm Nagler could do it. What scope are you planning to use?

January 29, 2008 02:36 AM Forum: SCI-FI

Do you really, honestly believe in life out there?

Considering the innumerable possible locations, yes. However, then the odds drop considerably from that point for "intelligent" life to exist. That being something taking on the curiosity and ability to proceed in a similar process such as man. Will there ever be "contact"(communication). Doubt it. The distances are insurmountable. The time frame involved would never allow us to realize the answer. We can only communicate on a rudimentary level with the lifeforms existing on earth. Do the math.

January 29, 2008 11:19 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Is this an optimal eyepiece for my 12" dob?

Casey:

Good to hear from you again. Anyway, in the longer FL EPs, if you don't choke on the price, the 26 Nagler in your Orion should blow you away. Tried one in my 12" (about the same as yours) and was awestruck. It was the only EP I have tried so far that really did the porthole in space for me. Have tried 24 WF, 16 T5, 16 T2, 13 T6, 11 T6, 12 T4. The 28 was unique to those experiences. It gave about 1.5 degrees FOV and had the most wow factor. Have not tried other Naglers. Also, the 40 Paragon is OK and gives about 1.7 degrees FOV, but the experience is not the same. Hopefully others will chime in on the 28 UWAN, 30 Paragon, or Pentax XW; cant talk to those. Will get a look through a 28 UWAN in a few days and let you know what I think.

I will keep the Paragon because it gives me the largest FOV for things like the veil, NA, Calif, etc., but there is a hole in my case for a 26 Nagler.

February 5, 2008 12:43 PM Forum: Eyepieces

No viewing for December or January. :^(

After innumerable times looking at the CSC for Mt Pinos, it does help to listen to you west coast guys moan and groan. Now for the good part.

A few weeks ago my 1/30 wave secondary arrived (12" Hardin). It was like getting an upgrade on my EPs (had to put that in since this is an EP Forum). Last night was the first time in recorded history that Stars were not bloated at 430X. Now granted, seeing was decent, but come on now. Even more, my 24mm TV Widefield now is much sharper towards the edges. It was a pleasure not to experience EP breakdown in the 125X range. In twilight the E & F stars of the trapezium were very evident. Now perhaps is the time to get a better evaluation of EP Performance.

February 7, 2008 03:25 PM Forum: LUNATICS

Any good websites?

Larry: Try

http://www.eastvalleyastronomy.org/downloads/OTL100.pdf

Jud

February 21, 2008 08:36 PM Forum: Global Warming - REAL or NOT

Solar Variability strikes out yet again

Robert
Can you insert information relating to how high altitude commercial & military planes affect the climate? I have seen contrasting reports suggesting opposing results. The most memorable was climate data resulting from the grounding of aircraft due to 9/11. Certainly information from 9/11 relates to a short-term effect, but no long-term effects were noted.

Jud

March 1, 2008 03:12 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

A spring spiral observation project

Perhaps NGC 2403 could be included?

Jud