Captured by
Terry Wood

Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Judson Mitchell

January 18, 2009 02:06 PM Forum: N.A.S.A.

New light on Mars methane mystery

Posted By Judson Mitchell

What seems to be missing in all the discussions on Mars' surface features, methane, etc., is the possibility that Mars may have been a methane planet at one time. The mania to prove that life exists on Mars masks other plausible explanations of surface features, etc. It would not be surprising that Mars has some water, but to propose that oceans existed boggles my mind unless Mars was once much closer to the sun. We merely need to take a look at the earth's history to see the problems of some of the proposals on Mars' climatic history.

Can someone direct me to a credible study that considers Mars as a possible methane planet?

Jud

February 7, 2009 10:15 PM Forum: After Dark

Why When the Moon is Full?

Well, I do have to admit that I just bought a 17mm T4 Nagler, and an observing buddy just picked up a 17.5" dob. So we are probably in for some really crappy skies. Already next weekend forcasts to be crappy which is true to the curse.

Jud

February 14, 2009 12:16 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Ghost Sunspot?

Still wondering how our current "sunspot sightings" would have ranked with those observing back during the Maunder Minimun. Would all of the Jan-Feb spots been seen or not seen. Take it away Leno.

Jud

April 10, 2009 03:19 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Meade Series 5000 UWA's

My guess is that they were designed primarily for their LX, semi-RCs, and any other long focal length scope.

Jud

April 14, 2009 11:32 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Guess what this is?

The last thing you see before having your appendix out?

Jud

April 24, 2009 11:47 AM Forum: Eyepieces

Need a bit of help deciding on what to get next

First Google Sioux Falls SD Astronomy and find some locals that are active in astronomy. Then see if there is opportunity to try some other EPs. It will depend on your current equipment and appetite for specific targets. I use a refigured 12" DSO dob. My current lineup is 40 Paragon; 17T4 Nagler; 13, 11, & 9 Nagler; and 7 & 5 TMB Planetaries. I still am planning probably 2 more EPs such as the 20 & 26 Naglers. My main targets are DSOs primarily galaxies and planetaries. The EPs are dictated by targets and local sky conditions. The tight range of Naglers relates to the unreliable seeing conditions in the Upstate of SC.

Jud Mitchell

June 2, 2009 03:00 PM Forum: Eyepieces

How to re-assemble an eyepiece?...

What this says to me is if I am mailing an EP, make sure (1) it is properly assembled, and (2) wrap it in a manner that prevents such a disassembly.

I have had an EP fall apart in my hands after removing the barrel and not being careful to hold it in an appropriate manner. Fortunately it was a 4-element doublet and took only about 4 tries to get it right again. My solution: never disassemble an EP.

Jud

June 3, 2009 05:58 PM Forum: Eyepieces

"Expensive" EPs worth it?

Mark
Check with www.fortworthastro.com for help in your area. They should be able to assist you and likely let you try appropriate EPs in your scope. If not, come to South Carolina, we will be more than happy to let you try a long list of Naglers.

Jud Mitchell

July 12, 2009 12:35 AM Forum: Eyepieces

First 1.25" ocular you purchased?

Tried to retrofit a 50mm crapola scope as a kid. Machinist down the street made a sleeve to take 1.25" EPs. (mid to late 50s) EP purchased was a 40mm Unitron. Gave it away a few years ago.

July 17, 2009 07:26 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Globular clusters

I have the listing from the Astronomical League. Its Index shows 190. An example would be that #4-32 are in the Andromedia galaxy. Price is $12.

Jud