My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Judson Mitchell

January 20, 2011 02:40 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Items purchased twice?

Posted By Judson Mitchell

Sold a 28 UWAN to finance a 17 Nagler; now I want the UWAN back. It fills a gap between my 40 Paragon and 20 Nagler. It was excellent for my needs.

Jud

February 14, 2011 07:44 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Object of February 14th: NGC2392

One of my favorites. Under a dark sky and large dob the outer parts become alive and as a whole show some asymetry. And yes, it is visible under less than ideal conditions; from my home for example where a Mag 5 sky is a rarity. Passing directly overhead at this time of year is is an excellent target.

Jud

February 16, 2011 10:29 AM Forum: Meteorites & Meteors

I need an I.D. on this.

The original picture has an opalescent appearance of chert. However I have not seen chert in this configuration seemingly brecciated almost as if in a moderate fault zone. Then there is the appearance of secondary hydrothermal activity. I assume this is a "Texas" rock?

Jud

October 21, 2011 09:51 AM Forum: Eyepieces

What is important to you in an eyepiece?

Floyd: Long time no talk. But on to the question. Went through a great number of EPs before settling on Tele Vue. Have long learned that there are many good and excellent EPs available. But what suits me are Crisp views and field of view. Being a non-tracking dob user, the FOV is valuable, plus my method of finding objects is star hopping, thus, the FOV becomes important. Therefore, my cadre as it stands now are as follows; 40 Paragon (perhaps to be replaced by a 40mm Pentax), and naglers 20, 17, 13, 11, 9 and 8 radian. Also included is a Para Corr. The only weakness is in the 40 to 20 mm range which may be augmented in the future by a 31 or 26 Nagler. Also, 1.5 and 2X barlows are used when powers higher than that achievable with the above are possible which is seldom in my area. Thus, my desire for something like a 6 or lower Nagler has a very low priority. Dob is a 12" Ed Stevens refigured mirror and a high quality antares secondary. Weaknesses in the system are the mirror mount and focusser.

Jud

November 8, 2011 04:38 PM Forum: Eyepieces

2x Televue Barlow question

I have found that you can increase the magnification of a barlow to some extent, but my experience indicates that there is only a limited functional range.

Jud

December 8, 2011 06:57 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

image inverter

Assuming you are taking digital pictures, all inversions, flips, etc., are doable on your computer. Jud

April 7, 2012 06:30 AM Forum: ASTRONOMY

Migrains anyone?

The optical migraines are not an uncommon thing. They are occasional(perhaps once every 1-2 months). My wife says she has them also. My eye doctor asked me if there was any pain with them, in my case no. Nearly all mine have been during the day. With a little manipulation I can determine which eye they originate. They last up to a half hour or so and usually start small and enlarge and commonly drift a little. My practice has been to just sit down and enjoy them. No other symptoms seem to occur. At 70 years, there are differences in how my individual eyes focus and of course there are minor differences. In my case there is only the optical migraine, in yours the migraine may be a side effect of something else. Good luck with your quest.

Jud

April 7, 2012 06:40 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

PushTo/GoTo system for Dob

Check out Sky Commander and call them. In my case there is only the concern for clearance from the base of the mount to the bottom of the scope tube which may be in need of modification for the installation. Call sky commander and they should be able to give guidance. I rebuilt my scope mount with the proper clearance.

Jud

July 5, 2012 07:06 AM Forum: LUNATICS

Visually Challenging Lunar Targets

How about the Ina Caldera L99. Being so shallow I could not discern it near the terminator. Seems it needs several degrees to light the opposite wall and make it visible.

Jud

September 2, 2012 09:38 PM Forum: No Holds Barred

So Bin Laden Was Unarmed

I doubt there was ever a plan to bhba.