Posts Made By: Domenic Quadrini

March 27, 2003 11:34 AM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Kodak Gold 200

Posted By Domenic Quadrini

Has anyone ever used this film for deep sky photos? I picked up a roll the other day, but have not had a chance to try it. I like that it comes in 12 exposure rolls. Don't have to wait so long to see the results.

I've used Fuji Superia 200 with good results. The photo of M31 is a single 70 minute shot through an Astro-Physics 6" f/9 Starfire working at f/7. It is simply a re-photograph of the 4"X6" print from my local processor. I tried Superior 400, but emmission nebulae came out green.

I hope someone has something good to say about the Kodak Gold 200, because I do like the 12 exposure feature.

Dom Q.

April 15, 2003 03:09 PM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

A Moveable Beast

My biggest scope, a C-14 mounted on a Losmandy GM-100 (the forerunner and more robust version of the G-11), comes in at about 225 pounds, but moves easily on the JMI wheely bars with 5" wheels. Dom Q.

October 13, 2003 06:09 AM Forum: Wildlife Photography

Bald Eagle Flagstaff Lake, Maine

Shot 21 August 2003 with Nikon Coolpix 995 through Vixen BT80M with Meade SWA 13.8 mm ep. The bird was about 1/4 mile away. The mottled background is the out-of-focus trees on the distant mountainside.

May 11, 2004 12:11 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Celestron's CGE GOTO

I was ready to buy a Celestron GGE GOTO mount, but after reading the March S&T review I've changed my mind. The reason I opted not to purchase is the mount's inability to track for more than 10 minutes past the meridian.

The mount appears to be a good value, in terms of stability and accuracy, but the tracking limitation is too serious a shortcoming, IMO.

Does anyone own one of these that can relate their experience with it? Does any know if Celestron is planning to modify this feature?

Dom Q.

May 18, 2004 11:59 PM Forum: Celestron

CGE GOTO

I asked about this last week on the equipment forum, but got no responses. Has anyone used the new CGE GOTO mount? I was considering purchase, but the inability of the mount to track more than ten minutes past the meridian (S&T March review) has made me reluctant to buy one. Seems like a serious shortcoming IMHO. Anyone know if Celestron is considering modifying this feature? Why in heaven's name would they incorporate such a restriction? :S

Dom Q.

February 23, 2005 01:02 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

A Celestron Tale

I recently purchased a C-14 with XLT coatings from a seller on A-Mart. The scope was in good condition, but one of the rear handles was loose. Even though the scope would be permanently mounted, so that I needed the handle only for manual slewing, the idea of a loose handle bugged me. I decided to ship the C-14 to Celestron and have them retighten the handle, a task which involves removing the rear cell from the tube and the mirror from its mount.

I called Celestron for a return authorization; the rep I spoke to was very knowledgeable and courteous, but this is not the gist of my tale.

I sent Celestron the scope UPS ground. They in turn sent me a repair estimate by mail, which I received 2 days after they received the scope. I sent them, by mail, a check and a signed authorization to do the repair. Two weeks later I received the scope via UPS.

The entire process from my original phone call to Celestron to receiving the repaired scope took less than one month.

But this is not the gist of my tale.
See next post.
Dom Q.

December 29, 2006 01:52 AM Forum: Reflectors

Why Dawn?

To all you magicians out there. Unlike Floyd Blue, I have always owned and used, exclusively, refractors for observing. And like him I recently purchased one of the other kind -- Floyd a 5" refractor, me a 10" f/5 Newtonian to go a little deeper than my 6" Starfire.

I've read many posts on this forum on how to clean a Newtonian mirror. Many of them recommend using a tap water bath with Dawn dishwashing detergent. My question is, why Dawn, and if so which Dawn -- ultra? regular? scented, etc. (Ultra dawn was recommended to me to kill the moss that grows between the bricks of my walkway. It looks nice, but the moss gets very slippery in wet or damp weather and can become a real safety hazard.)

What does dawn have that other liquid dishwashing detergents don't (moss killing properties aside)that makes it the choice for cleaning mirrors? Wouldn't Ivory Liquid do? (That's what my wife buys for our dishes.) Or perhaps Kodak Photoflo? I have a quart of the latter sitting in my now defunct, obsolete, dust-collecting, decaying darkroom.

Dom Q.
Slowly yielding to the digital revolution.

January 7, 2007 02:56 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: St4 flipmate

Mine does. I remember trying not to pinch the O-ring when assembling it.
Dom Q.

April 2, 2007 11:48 PM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

Re: Parallax HD200C GTO is born!!

Fabulous. It will certainly give you many years of observing pleasure.
Dom Q.

July 27, 2007 12:02 PM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

First Image with D&G 5" f/15

D&G 5" f/15 achro. Afocal eyepiece projection. Nikon 995 Coolpix with 32 mm plossl. Don't have a DSLR, but the Coolpix is OK for the moon. Bright, contrasty and easy to focus.

Dom Q.