My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Domenic Quadrini

August 6, 2008 06:26 PM Forum: Global Warming - REAL or NOT

Re: Global Dimming

Posted By Domenic Quadrini

Jim, I saw that show. As you say it was merely pointing out another phenomenon, global dimming, which although theorized, was difficult to confirm until the unfortunate events of 9/11. I did not see where scientists were trying to deny the existence of global dimming. One interesting conclusion was that if we try to reduce global dimming, we may, in fact increase global warming. What to do, what to do.

That global warming exists, there is no doubt. But whether the cause is human consumption of fossil fuels or a natural cycle, has not been adequately answered, in my opinion. Glaciers formed and covered most of North America and receeded without any human intervention several times in the last millinum. We need to understand that fact in relation to what is happening now with human intervention. The answer is not yet clear to me.

Perhaps the cycle of volcanic activity was responsible for the formation and recession of the glaciers. Is the volcano of human consumption equivalent to that of mother earth? Dunno.

Regardless of whether we are causing global warming or whether it is a natural occurrence, we should do everything possible to reduce our reliance on fossil fuels, if for no other reasons than being able to breathe clean air and to insure a more economically stable source of energy for the world.

Dom Q.

March 2, 2009 05:29 PM Forum: Astro-Physics

Re: AP130 Gran Turismo Notification

I was notified last week. Turned it down. The E-mail politely noted that "Some time ago you expressed interest in the 130 Gran Tourismo..." "Some time ago ," I wrote back, "was 8-1/2 years." (It wasn't called the GT back then.) I am still on the list for the 160, but when I asked how long it might be before I might be notified, the answer was, basically, "don't know."

I turned down the 130 because since September of 2000 the price had more than doubled. Same for the 160, so I can no longer justify owning both scopes. Guess I'll have to start liquidating my present scope assets in preparation for the 160 notification--probably another year from now is my estimate. For now my 152 f/9 Starfire serves me admirably.

Dom Q.

February 3, 2012 12:09 PM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

My Long Focus Oldie

My A. Jaegers 103 mm f/15.

October 14, 2012 06:53 AM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Auction Rules

Can someone please tell me where I can find the rules for placing an auction. Much appreciated.

October 14, 2012 02:20 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Meade Series 5K HD-60 Eyepieces

Has anyone had experience with any of the Meade series 5000 HD-60 eyepieces? Meade advertises 17 mm eye relief. They seem to be Meade's answe to the radian at a much lower price. I am particulary concerned about kidney beaning, construction quality, and image quality.

I tried the ES 8.8 mm ultra wide angle and found that while the construction quality was superb, it was impossible to see the entire field to the edge without moving my head from side to side. When moving my eye close enough to see the entire field from a single eye position, the eyepiece exhibited severe kidney beaning, so the 82 degree field of view could not be realized. This was with an f/11.4 refractor. I imagine the problem would be worse with faster scopes.

October 19, 2012 11:47 AM Forum: A Day in the Life of the Administrator

Auction Rules, Need Help

Where can I find the rules for posting an auction?

April 12, 2015 08:38 AM Forum: Refractors

Lunt 6" ED APO

Its advertised here on A-mart for $2691 until 20 April. Their promotion says 10% off. Seems like the promotional price should be $3591, not $2691. Is the $2691 real or is this a misprint?
If real, there should be a lot of people scrambling to get a 6" APO at an extremely low price.

May 1, 2002 05:16 PM Forum: Astro Binoculars

New entry to the big binoc market

Geez, Herb. it must be easier to sell a car. Dom Q.

August 10, 2002 12:42 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Newbie Coolpix 995 question

Ryan, I have a Coolpix 995 that I use with a Meade 13.8 SWA on my AP 6" Starfire. I aim the scope with an accurately aligned optical (8X50) finder. You will get vignetting if you zoom the camera to wide angle. To avoid vignetting, simply zoom out until the entire field is unvignetted. Of course, the more you zoom out (longer camera lens focal length) the higher the magnification. You realize that using a digital camera intended for "normal" photography can only be used for photos requiring exposures of 1 second or less. So you are limited to solar system objects - sun, moon and planets. Still this is great way to get started with digital astrophotography. Good luck with your photos.
Dom Q.

December 28, 2002 12:58 AM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

Toys

John, nice deck. Did you build that yourself?
Dom Q.