My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Domenic Quadrini

March 8, 2003 01:41 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

4" APO or 5" Achro???

Posted By Domenic Quadrini

If your 12.5" Dob has a 2.5" diagonal or less, why not use a 5" off-axis mask? You'll get 5" apo-like views for the cost of a piece of cardboard and a can of flat black spray paint. I do this with a C-14. Works great once the tube currents have settled down. Dom Q.

May 24, 2003 04:00 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Is it just me or is Al sucking us dry($)....

You are not a captive customer and Mr. Nagler does not have a monopoly on eyepieces for telescopes. So he can't suck you dry if you don't let him drink from your well. Be glad that you have the privelege and opportunity to afford and purchase such high quality instruments. MHO.

July 31, 2003 05:48 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Very good ISO 400 color negative

Superb photos. I suspect that really dark skies contributed to your results as much as your choice of film. I checked the B&H Photo ads in "Shutterbug" magazine. They have Konica Centuria available in various ISO's (although I couldn't find the word "Super" in any of the descriptions) and in 120 size ISO 400. I think I'll try some, but at f/5 my exposure time will be limited to about 30-45 minutes. Thanks for the info and sharing.
Dom Q.

August 29, 2003 12:32 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Keeing Scope in Garage?

Dave, I leave my 4" Unitron on homemade wheely bars and a C-14 on JMI wheely bars in my garage. Both are stored with caps and plugs in place . The Unitron is covered with an old bedsheet to keep the dust off. The C-14 is covered with a large grill cover. Both covers are simply draped over the scopes. After two years the optics are still pristine. The convenience of a few-minutes setup is hard to argue against.

FWIW, I have never seen dew form on any object left in my (unheated) garage. In fact, in the winter, I make room for my truck so that dew/frost will not be on the windshield and windows in the morning.

Dom Q.

October 19, 2003 01:14 AM Forum: Wildlife Photography

Porcupine

Nice catch. Any fishers in your neighboorhood? Porcupines are their favorite prey.

October 19, 2003 02:16 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Overpriced Astro Gear

Dennis, it's not just astro stuff. NBC news had a little spot on the cost/quality of bottled water. Most city water costs pennies per gallon, but but bottled water at $1 for 12 oz. comes out to more than $10 per gallon. Yet, sales of bottled water has skyrocketed in the last decade. What I don't understand is why many people never finish the water they buy in bottles! Can those cheap 44's be had commercially?

December 22, 2003 04:31 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

D&G

Brian, D&G recommends mounts, such as the AP 1200, MI 250, Opti-Craft 2" shafts, Parallax 150 and the Losmandy 200 (Titan, now), all of which, with the possible exception of the Opti-Craft cost more than the D&G 8" refractor.
Good luck in your quest. Dom Q.

February 1, 2004 01:07 AM Forum: Binoviewers

I bino, therefore I AM - another first light!

The Encke division, Tom, in average seeing? I guess bino viewing is the way to go. I still haven't been able to see it with my "not quite antique" 6" f/9 Starfire.
Clear skies. Dom Q.

March 14, 2004 05:28 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

D&G 5" vs AP 130 f/6

You can probably order just the AP focuser with matching backplate from D&G. May take a while due to the AP backlog, but no longer than ordering a new scope.
Dom Q.

March 27, 2004 01:54 AM Forum: Refractors

FS-128 vs TEC 140 vs Achro w/chromacorr

Dave, I've had this baby since 1991. No spurious color that I can detect at 50+ power per inch and no oil leak issues. Dom Q.