Posts Made By: Domenic Quadrini

September 20, 2009 04:14 PM Forum: Refractors

D&G Optical Refractors - Are 2009 products great?

Posted By Domenic Quadrini

5" f/15. Excellent optics and with the AP focuser a very fine visual instrument.

Dom Q.

March 8, 2010 10:42 AM Forum: Refractors

New, old refractor!

Floyd,

Your fate is sealed. With the purchase of that 152 you have contracted the chronic disease -- refractor fever.

Dom Q.

September 10, 2010 12:50 AM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

Veil complex Tak Baby-Q

Ivan, your work with a DSLR is truly amazing.

dom Q.

September 10, 2010 12:52 AM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

Milky Way Mosaic

Outstanding.

October 11, 2010 06:48 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Transit of Io

Well I didn't see the transit of Io, but I did see an interesting phenomenon with Callisto. I was observing Jupiter with the 6" f/9 Starfire, on the morning of October 10 at 3:00 AM and saw Callisto sitting atop (North) of Jupiter with just a tiny gap between the planet and the moon. Callisto looked like a perfectly round dot at 200X in 6-7/10 seeing. According to Sky & Telescope, September was the last month for several years that Callisto will interact with the Planet and its shadow. Quite a sight.

Dom Q.

February 14, 2011 07:34 PM Forum: Refractors

15" Obsession VS 5" ED Refractor

Hello Refet,

I was away, so I got onto this thread late. Before investing in a 5-6" refractor, try an off-axis aperture mask with your Obsession. (Fit a piece of cardboard over the mirror box, for example.) If your seconday's diameter is 3", you should be able to create a 6" unobstructed aperture with perfect achromatism.

Additionally your eyepieces will have more eye relief. But more important, you will be able to compare the different views for no cost.

My two cents.

Dom Q.

February 3, 2012 08:13 PM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

My Long Focus Oldie

Another view.

March 15, 2012 06:37 AM Forum: Global Warming - REAL or NOT

Water Vapor, not CO2, Controls Climate

As I said in an earlier post, scientists, as well as AGW proponents, bear the onus of explaining the relatively rapid cooling and warming in the past that has occurred without the influence of human activity. But, of course, such a theory if proven, would negate, at least partially, the claims of AGW.

I would like to see a model that describes the effect of CO2 on two planets, call them planet 1 and planet 2. Both planets have an atmosphere exactly like that of earth's, but each planet is dry, that is, lacking surface water of any kind. (Never mind how the atmosphere came to be. This is actually a thought experiment with computer help.) The idea here is to hold all variables constant while the effect of the one in question is examined, analogous to taking a partial derivative.

Planet 1 has a CO2 concentration of 280 ppm, such as purportedly existed just prior to the industrial revolution and planet 2 has a CO2 concentration of 390 ppm such as exists today, according to the available data. Can such a model predict the difference in temperature between the two planetary atmospheres and surfaces? Would such an experiment even make sense? It seems to me that the model should be considerably simpler than those that attempt to predict the effects of CO2 with all the other variables considered, CO2 sources, sinks, volcanoes, the biosphere, solar activity, water vapor, etc.

Is anyone aware of someone who may have tried this? Just my two cents.

March 15, 2012 07:21 AM Forum: Global Warming - REAL or NOT

Risks of Sea Level Rise

The photo in that article looks like the result of river flooding, which over time has destroyed much property that lies along river banks, including farm land. Of course that damage is eventually recouped. Coastal flooding resulting from sea level rise is more or less permanent, assuming sea levels do not return to their previous state.

Sea levels may be rising due to global warming. But the underlying cause of the warming is yet to be proven.

September 21, 2012 06:25 PM Forum: Equipment Talk