Posts Made By: Tom Nigrelli

September 28, 2003 02:22 PM Forum: Astro-Physics

Traveler vs Tak FSQ 106

Posted By Tom Nigrelli

Recently compared my 2yr young Traveler to a friends new Tak FSQ 106. Same Nagler eyepieces were used in a side by side comparison over a period of about 3 hours. AP MB diagonal on Traveler and Tak 2" diagonal on his. (Might be of Lumicon brand).
Anyway, here's the scoop.
On doubles, the Tak appeared to be a touch brighter, a tighter 1st difraction ring, and just the feeling of being very sterile. Feeling of more of a surgical instrument.
The Traveler on same doubles was a warmer looking, very natural pleasing view.
On Mars and the Moon the TAK once again bested the Traveler as far as digging out more contrasty detailed views.
These are items that only a side by side and experience in viewing comparison would show.
The Traveler on the other hand does just that. Beautifully machined with a case to go any where in the world. Optics im my opinion that are very,very good.
So, question is if one scope is truly right, then one is wrong?
Obviously two different manufactures on different sides of the world have different views on which way to design optics for viewing the same objects that we share viewing in the night sky.
But aren't there ways of testing optics to the same standards?
Wonder if someone in Japan has compared the Traveler to the 106 and found the same results. Could this be a geographic/climate difference in design?
Just my views.
Clear Skies,
Tom

November 23, 2003 02:47 PM Forum: Takahashi

FS60 lightweight mount/tripod

Posted By Tom Nigrelli

Ok,
Who's got an idea on the lightest tripod/mount for a FS 60.
Not needed for airplane travel. Just from inside the house and out in 2 seconds with no weight.
I already tried the TV Telepod but the cradle gets in the way of the focuser knobs.
Thanks in advanced.
Tom
PS. The fs 60 took Delta Cyg @ 118x. Wow!

November 28, 2003 07:15 PM Forum: Takahashi

FS60 tube length

Posted By Tom Nigrelli

Does anyone know why that between the serial #'s of 3000 and 3175 the main white tube of the fs60 was shortend by about 2". The focal length has stayed the same, tak just added an extra extension tube to achieve focus. But what was the reason for this.
Thanks in Advance.
Tom

October 6, 2004 02:04 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Williams Optics

Posted By Tom Nigrelli

Does anyone here actually own a new Megrez 80 II. I know first hand that the build quality of the scope itself is 1st class. It's the optics that I am concerned about, having recently sent one back for very poor performance.
Thanks,
Tom

December 31, 2004 02:07 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Sky software for Mac

Posted By Tom Nigrelli

I would like to know what's the best night sky program for the Mac. I have Software Bisqs for my PC and am wondering if this is the best way to go for a Mac unit.
Thanks in Advance,
Tom

May 11, 2008 03:20 PM Forum: TeleVue

Gibraltar mount

Posted By Tom Nigrelli

I have the original Gibraltar mount with the grey azimuth bushing. I currently am using a Traveler on this mount that weighs in at about 12 lbs.
My problem is the azimuth seems to stick at all temps and have already replaced the bushing.
Is there a better lubricant other than white lithium with silicone that I can use to smooth out the azimuth.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Clear Skies,
Tom Nigrelli

April 5, 2012 12:52 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Bino focusing wheel rubber cover

Posted By Tom Nigrelli

Does any one know where i can obtain the rubber grib material that is used on focus wheel of binoculars.
Seems to be a generic item that is glude onto focuser wheel.
Thank for any help.
Tom Nigrelli

April 5, 2012 12:53 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Bino focusing wheel rubber cover

Posted By Tom Nigrelli

Does any one know where i can obtain the rubber grib material that is used on focus wheel of binoculars.
Seems to be a generic item that is glude onto focuser wheel.
Thank for any help.
Tom Nigrelli