My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: peter staiger

April 6, 2005 04:52 AM Forum: Astro Binoculars

What do you think of, Miyauchi 141 and Fujinon 150

Posted By peter staiger

I have exactly zip real life experience with binocular esoterica. But I recall other folks being very inpressed with a Nikon bino in the giant size class. I'm not sure if it's still being sold as new. perhaps as a used item in the classifieds.

Peter

August 31, 2005 01:59 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

My new Astro Sky is ready for star testing!

Posted By peter staiger

Floyd,

It looks great! I'm expecting my astro-sky scope soon also. James was working on several scopes including ours at the same time. Reading your post isn't making my wait any easier. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Peter

March 1, 2006 03:15 AM Forum: Reflectors

12.5"

Posted By peter staiger

Jim,

I was in the same situation. I ordered a Woden 12.5" f/6.4 (ended up f/6.3) mirror. The final Strehl was 0.985. I chose James Grigar's Astrosky structure for my mirror. I ordered my scope when the price was a little lower and I've been very happy with the result.

I was afraid that balance would be an issue. Unless you go with an ultralight UTA, this will be a little top heavy for a standard dob design. James had the balance perfect by using a few powder coated steel counterweights attached to the steel tailgate assembly. Everything was perfect out of the box.

James's home was hit by the devastating hurricanes this past season. All things considered, he held up his side of the bargin. He stayed in contact, and when forced to evacuate took steps to protect his clients scopes. He was available and was easy to work with every step of the way. I have no regrets having him build my telescope and would do it again in the same situation.

While I had a good experience with Astrosky, check out the other dob makers also. I think Floyd rattled off a quick list earlier in this thread. When you finally get your scope made, it's going to be a great planetary scope. Best of luck!

Peter

April 12, 2006 09:55 PM Forum: Astro Binoculars

25x100 choice and an idea.

Posted By peter staiger

Stu,

Why not something like this?

http://www.bigbinoculars.com/mirror.htm

Seems to be exactly what you decribed. The larger one works with 100mm binos. I have a smaller earlier version. The only problem is less intuitive aiming. A RDF or a GLP fixes that little drawback up nicely.

Peter

April 18, 2006 07:30 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

SkyScout

Posted By peter staiger

David,

I've had one on pre-order for months. The last estimate I've heard is May/June. I'll post my impressions as soon as I can.

Peter

April 21, 2006 10:44 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Celestron SkyScout

Posted By peter staiger

Bruce,

We have to wait and see.

It should identify visable objects. It should also find specified objects. I'm hoping it will work as a poor mans push-to device.

How well it works will depend on several things. Will it work while mounted on a scope or binocular? Will the objects programed into it be useful in navigating the sky? How accurate will it be?

If it works as advertised, it should be at least as useful as a RDF except that it will tell you what you're looking at and help direct you to a specific object.

I'm sure it won't be as accurate as the DSC and goto hardware already available. But it should get you into the ballpark of an object.

The real advantage with this device is that it works without any calibration. No level/north setup, no pointing at 2-3 stars/objects, no encoders, no wires, no identifing objects, no entering long-lat info, no setting time/date, no polar alignment, no leveling, no nothing, just a couple of batteries. Seems a little like magic.

The quality of the database is a big question. It seems to me that since they took the trouble to build in a data port, new info/objects should be downloadable. If so, new data for comet info may be available as new objects are found.

One function that it may be able to do is locate planets in the daytime. I observed the daytime occultation of Jupiter a while back so I know the planets are visable in daylight. You just have to know where to look.

I'm waiting patiently for mine. If it works as advertised I'll be very pleasently surprised. The promise is enough for me to take a chance on it.

Peter

May 16, 2006 03:20 AM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

AZ3 1/4-20 adapter lousy?

Posted By peter staiger

Greg,

On my adapter the bolt is fully threaded. It screws into the thumb wheel. This is only marginally better than yours. I find the bolt backs itself out of the thumb wheel partway and makes it almost impossible to tighten. If I used it more often I might epoxy the bolt into the thumbwheel. I'd go with rings if possible.

Also consider calling Orion and see if they can relace the thumbwheel with an improved/correct part.

Peter

May 20, 2006 02:48 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Sky Scout GOTO?

Posted By peter staiger

Pat,

That thought has occured to a lot of people. I attended a lecture and demonstration at NEAF '06 on the SkyScout. The device gets position and time info via GPS and uses magnetic sensors and what may be the equivalent of an electronic plumb bob to determine where it's being pointed. I don't know anything other than what's in the general info Celestron's provided. The above is just a guess.

The representative said the unit is quite sensitive to nearby metal, including aluminum. She said that even the metal in the batteries has to be taken into account when calibrating the device. Jewery, watches, implants/filings were said not to be a problem.

I haven't heard any user reports so I don't think they've been shipped yet. My shipping date has been pushed out to early June with no guarentees. I wouldn't be surprised if it's delayed even more.

I think the first thing many of us will do is to try to use it as an intelligent finder. If and how well it will work in that situation is a total guess at this point. Even if it does work, the estimated accuracy is between 0.5° and 1.0°. It may get you in the general vicinity of an object but won't have anywhere near the accuracy of the good DSC's and GOTO systems that are available today.

Even if it can only be used handheld it will be a very interesting demonstration of a unique blend of technologies. We'll have to wait and see.

Peter

May 23, 2006 02:07 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Astro Sky Structure arrived!

Posted By peter staiger

Floyd,

Congratulations! I hope it performs to your satisfaction.

When I received my scope, I think I benefited from some of your improvements. I'm still having a great time with my Astrosky.

Peter