My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: David Pitre

August 23, 2005 10:12 PM Forum: Meade

Fixing my rotated Secondary mirror

Posted By David Pitre

I was messing with my LX90 (same OTA as the LX2000) and put it back together with the secondary assembly rotated to some unknown position. I got the corrector centered and put back to its' indexed position.
My question is twofold:
1 What difference does could it make, and why?
2 How would the problem be expressed in a star test spherical aberation, astigmatism, coma...?
I need to get this back in good shape, but can't afford to send it to Meade.
David

October 20, 2005 03:11 AM Forum: Eyepieces

Anyone looked through the TMB/Burgess 6mm?

Posted By David Pitre

I'm wondering how good/bad the first run discounted ones are.
Hows the 9mm?
David

October 29, 2005 01:38 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Stellarview diagonal quality?

Posted By David Pitre

I'm wondering about the quality of the Stellarview Diagonals.
How do they rate compared to the Everbright or the W.O. "enhanced coatings"?
I like the fact that they bother to double check collimation.
David

November 6, 2005 10:06 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Rayleigh Criterion and reflectors

Posted By David Pitre

I'm wondering how the Rayleigh Criterion for a certain aperture is affected by the central obstruction in a reflecting telescope, specifically a SCT.
Does the percentage of obstruction by the secondary reduce the expected figure? Obviously, the image of the star is tighter in a refractor. So do I have different Rayleigh limit for an 8" reflector vs an 8" refractor?
Thanks,
David

November 28, 2005 04:18 PM Forum: Eyepieces

3x Barlow for my new 80mm Apo?

Posted By David Pitre

I currently use an 8" SCT, F/10 2000mm focal length.
I just ordered a W.O. 80mm Flourite Doublet , F6.9 555mm
My higher mag. eyepieces are good quality 16mm, 12mm, 11mm, and 9mm ortho and plossls. I also have an Ultima 2x barlow that will give me about 124x when used with the 9mm on the new refractor.
My question is rather than buy a couple of higher mag EPs, should I consider a Tele Vue 3X barlow? What are the pros and cons? I bought this new scope for wide field views, and I'm not much of a planetary observer.
As a side note, how well do Type 6 Naglers barlow? I've been considering a 13mm T6.
Thanks,
David

December 14, 2005 08:43 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Barlowing Zooms

Posted By David Pitre

I'm wondering what kind of experience people have had with barlowing zoom EPs. Lots of glass , I realize. But what are people's thoughts?
I just bought a 80mm Apo f/7, and was wondering about using a zoom , both barlowed and not, as part of a grab and go set-up. If I was to get something like the Speers 5-8, I could also use it as high power double star EP for my 8" SCT.
A Tele Vue Zoom is probably out of my budget and couldn't be used with my 8".

David

December 29, 2005 05:59 PM Forum: Eyepieces

32mm MK-80 VS 35 Panoptic

Posted By David Pitre

Has anyone done side by side comparisons of the
U.O. 32mm MK-80 and the 35 Panoptic?
I'm interested in one or the other for my f/10 and f/6.9
scopes.

January 12, 2006 11:46 PM Forum: Eyepieces

A grab and go set for my 80mm f/7 Apo?

Posted By David Pitre

I'm looking for a portable eyepiece set ( the fewer the better) for my 80mm f/6 Apo. Maybe few enough that would fit into a fanny pack. Caveat. I only have about $200. to spend.
I've got low power down to a 14mm UWA. I also have various plossls and orthos down to 9mm although I'm looking for wider fields.
I was thinking of a 5-8x Speers Waler zoom, but it really doesn't cover much in terms of keeping the number of EPs down, and still doesn't give me low power. 5mm is 110x.
I'd like to hear of other peoples experiences with a small grab and go collection for a similar scope.
Oh yeah... I'm on an alt/az mount so wideish field is good.
David

February 2, 2006 12:20 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Oddity in M41

Posted By David Pitre

Two nights ago I went out to my dark site and was treated to a night of very good transparancy. I spent most of the night viewing Galaxies. Late into the night I viewed M41 when it was high in the sky. I was shocked to see what appeared to be a dim planetary nebula within the cluster. I thought "Wow!", have I never seen this because I've never looked at M41 from a dark sight? I figured I'd look it up and read about it later. Well, after a bit of research, there doesn't appear to be a planetary in M41. Unfortunatly I didn't record the position or spend the time to really examine it since I was on a galaxy quest.
Can anyone help me on this? Please don't laugh. I'm not a very experienced astonomer.

David

May 15, 2006 08:13 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Re: Thanks Floyd

Posted By David Pitre

Hear!Hear!
Your opinions and expertise is much appreciated, as is your time in moderating this forum.
David