Captured by
mikhail vasilenko

NGC4216 with supernova 2024gy

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Zack Flood

March 4, 2005 02:13 AM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Buy Time

Posted By Zack Flood

I've been using my brother's Konus 90mm Maksutov-Cassegrain for some months while he's been away. He just came back and took it and im looking to buy a scope for myself. I'd like to buy used from somethign like eBay or Astromart. I want something that i wont grow out of anytime soon. I can spend maybe $400-450. I've been looking at used S-8 Meade reflectors and Nexstar 5s, all used but they end up being just beyond this price range used. Can anyone throw some advice my way about what kind scope to buy and where? Thanks alot!

Yeah sorry i forgot to mention my biggest interests are primarily DSOs and Planets equally.

March 12, 2005 08:52 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Orange Skies

Posted By Zack Flood

I recently purchased an Orion XT8 after consulting the unbelievably helpful bastions of astronomy know-how here on astromart. I live in downtown San Francisco and suprisingly, from my deck i normally get wonderful views of the sky. I've heard alot about the curse of getting bad weather and what-not on the day one recieves a telescope. After i assembled my telescope i waited for night, hauled it out onto my deck and nearly had a heart attack... The city has just place a monstrous 4 lamp, 100ft tall Sodium lamp not 100 yards from my apartment. Is there any way i can protest this? Are there no laws passed regarding such light polluters? Yesterday was perfectly cloudless and i could barely make out Orion or Saturn.
Hatin' Sodium Lamps, Zack

March 15, 2005 12:35 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Conditions to a Beginner

Posted By Zack Flood

I've recently purchased an 8" Dob and im certainly definable as a beginner astronomer. Pointing my scope up to where i know DSOs are i see absolutly nothing. My sky is terrible admitted but when i look at m42 i see no structure. Is the limiting visual magnitude distorting the image of the Nebula. That is to say is limiting magnitude simply whether or not you can see something or does it also affect the amount of detail observable in that object?

Megez is visable with much straining of my eye.

March 5, 2005 08:30 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Buy Time

Posted By Zack Flood

Thanks alot guys. I'll have my eyes peeled for that 8" Dob on the Classifieds.

March 6, 2005 09:23 AM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Buy Time

Posted By Zack Flood

I've never actually had the chance to use a Dobsonian. Isnt looking at DSOs and trying to keep them in the FOV without a tracking motor torture?

March 6, 2005 08:17 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Buy Time

Posted By Zack Flood

Thanks again everyone. You all seem to have given me the same advice so I'm going to put in an order for an 8" Hardin Deep Space Hunter! Thank you all so much for your input. Now... does anyone have an idea what kind of Eyepiece i should start out with?
-1,000,000 Questions Zack

March 6, 2005 11:59 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Buy Time

Posted By Zack Flood

[SIZE="Large"][/SIZE]DOH[SIZE="Normal"][/SIZE]I seem to have spoken too soon. After searching every corner of the web i have found that Hardin's 8" DSHs are backlogged a minimum of two months... Does anyone know if theres a dealer that might have them in or know of a similarly performing and priced scope?

March 8, 2005 05:12 AM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Buy Time

Posted By Zack Flood

Ok, im stumped what on Earth does F5 and all these things mean? I see them associated with words like fast...how can a telescope be fast?
-Confused

March 9, 2005 12:29 AM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Buy Time

Posted By Zack Flood

Hello all once again! I've decided in the interests of looking foward to pick up a 10" Dobsonian at a local(1 hour away dealer) and i was just wondering if i would be better off with an Orion XT10 or a Hardin 10" DSH which comes with a 2 inch widefield eyepiece and a crawford focuser which, not that i know why, is supposedly much better.(?). Thanks in advance!

-Zack

March 12, 2005 09:06 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Under 30 club?

Posted By Zack Flood

I dont know if i count as a serious astronomer yet but im 16 and on my second scope.

Zack