Posts Made By: David Owen

August 3, 2004 08:04 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: New WO Megrez 80 II triplet ED APO for $800?

Posted By David Owen

Haven't heard anything about it but there's an interesting graph comparing the color correcting properties of FK01 verses BK7 (on one end) and CaF2 (Calcium Flourite) used in Tak scopes at:
http://www.optique-unterlinden.com/tab_fluo.htm

Scoll down to the bottom of the page. Use google translation to translate from french to english.

David

November 9, 2005 09:40 PM Forum: After Dark

I don't understand

Posted By David Owen

Nice review and I for one appreciate the details regarding the issues reported upon receipt of the scope. Seems that I remember Tom T having an optical issue with his WO scope also upon first receipt. He choose to return it to get a better one.

I guess what I don't understand is why are users so enamored with the cosmetics of these scopes (they do look nice!) and seem to downplay the poor optical performance. I guess I buy a telescope to look through....not just look at. The user gives this scope a high rating while noting that there are some very significant optical issues that required 1. finding a resource to provide guidance on fixing and 2. disassembling the device to make some minor adjustments to improve performance. Since it is a cemented doublet (NOT airspaced) then there aren't a lot of options for correcting the defects. I'm also a little stumped as to why the baffle issue remains 6 months after it was reported.

Guess I sound grumpy...and I don't mean too. Maybe for $399 this is what should be expected. It certainly sounds like WO or the dealer was willing to help resolve the problem, and that's a very good thing! I think that there are better options out there, unless you enjoy tinkering with your scope verses using it.

November 2, 2003 04:45 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Saturn Last Night with TMB/APM 10" Apo

Posted By David Owen

Please, repeat yourself....often.

David