New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: itz marcus

October 18, 2009 03:02 PM Forum: Refractors

Seibert black knight (22mm) ves Denk in refractor

Posted By itz marcus

Hi,
Does anyone know the optical quality (1/4 wave, 1/8 wave etc) of the Siebert Black knight 22mm ca Binoviewers. Also has anyone compared them to the Denk standards or Eathwins?
I know that the ca is smaller on the Siebert but other than that is the optical quality in the same league?
The scope it will be used in is an EON 120 Ed.
Clear Skies
Itz

November 23, 2009 05:12 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

What's up with the GRS

Posted By itz marcus

Hi,
I had the Eon 120 out looking at the GRS. It was very clear
(not just a hollow but a clear pinkish oval) it was followed by the black whatever it is. What is odd is that the GRS looks alot smaller to me. It didn't seem to intrude into the band above it but was completely in the white area below the band. Has anyone else noticed this?
Clear Skies
Itz

December 23, 2009 01:50 PM Forum: Refractors

Pinched Optics?

Posted By itz marcus

Hi,
I left my scope out last night (teen temps) for the first couple of hours all was great. When I took a look this morning (5:30 a.m.) I got the triangle out of focus image and the classic pinched optics in focus pattern. Is this wierd or does it make sense that for the first few hours out everything is ok but sustrained cold temperatures (11 hours of it) can ultimately cause pinched optics and that I have to loosen the retaining ring or is something else at play? This is the first time in two winters that this happened. Also is there a daytime test that could be done to dtermine pinched optics?
Thanx
Clear Skies
Itz

December 25, 2009 01:07 AM Forum: Refractors

I'm panicking !! Hellllllllp what is wrong

Posted By itz marcus

Hi,
I posted the other day that I noticed pinched optics in my beloved EON 120. It was out for a long time in temps as low as 25 deg. It seemed to be better the next night but almost imediately reverted to a pinched image. Tonight it is in the thirties and I left the scope outside in its case the whole day (15 hours) and it still has those images. The focuser had some more weight on it as I started using a siebert binoviewer (with a 2.5 powermate) the focuser does exhibit image shift and the image sort of skips around as it gets closer to focus(it only happens at that point). I removed it and put it back on and the image seems somewhat better. Can the pinched images be caused by a focuser that is not square with the scope or am I barking up the wrong tree. I shook the scope slightly and the elements did exhibit the shaking that it should exhibit indicating that the retaining ring isn't too tight.
Can somewhat please help me out.
This has been an absolutely amazing scope so the last thing that I want is to send back the lens.)
Clear Skies
Itz

January 24, 2010 12:33 AM Forum: Refractors

Eon Focuser

Posted By itz marcus

Hi,
My Eon as back on duty. It is no longer pinching and has been taken care of by the expert hands of J. Mulherin of OMI. Wonderful views of Mars and Saturn and deep sky objects. It seems that I misaligned the lenses when I loosened the retaining ring.
The problem is now the focuser. It was always the weak point of the scope but good enough and my budget didn't allow for a moonlight. To make a long story short, when locking down the focuser I heard an unwelcome sound. It turns out that one of the rolors with ball bearing broke. The scope still works but the focuser now grinds etc. Is there a fix? Does anyone know where to get and what size roller to get to replace it?
Clear Skies
Itz

August 13, 2010 05:17 PM Forum: Refractors

collimating a refractor via diag. (non coll. lens

Posted By itz marcus

Hi,
I noticed (using a cheshire ep) that the circles were slightly off so I bought a collimatable diagonal and using a refractor cheshire ep I have bullseye on. The question is two fold
1. If I rotate the diagonal then it is back to slightly off.
2. The circles while they're dead on bullseye to each other the circles themselves are not in the center of the cheshire sight tube.
Is anything wrong or this is the way it should be?
Clear skies
Itz

December 12, 2010 05:58 PM Forum: Refractors

Pinching in your refractor

Posted By itz marcus

Hi,
Well the suject just about says it. I would love to know if anyone else's pinches, at what temps, and what have you done to fix it? It is not due to a lack of cool down and the retaining ring is not screwed down too tightly. I am trying to resolve it with Orion but the scope is out of warranty. (Though if it is pinching then that is a manufacturing defect and should be covered for life. It's not like something broke.)

January 8, 2012 04:27 PM Forum: Refractors

Cassini in the EON 120

Posted By itz marcus

Hi,
I have a wonderful EON 120 that is used to the "death" (but it is still in excellent condition). I have seen fantastic deatil on Jupiter and Mars (when it is in the right position). When viewing the Great Neb in Orion, I consistantly get "e" (now that I know what to look for) and sometimes even "f". My question is the Cassini Division. Why is it so hard? I see a greying at the edges of the rings but not that "black tak sharp pencil line" that i've seen others write about. What gives? Is it where I live (brooklyn)? But I've been told that light pollution doesn't effect planets. Is it my ep's? I use mainly a Meade 5.5 series 5000 (163x) and an 18mm Ortho with a 2.5 powermate (125x). They look clean to me, but I will say that when a bright star or planet is defocused there are many black spots all around, but this is even after I've cleaned them. Maybe it's dust in between the elements, but would that effect what I'm seeing?
Anyway, any info would be appreciated. If needed I'll get a new ep today!
Thanx and clear Skies
Itz

November 16, 2005 01:08 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Need help with new Purchase

Posted By itz marcus

glad you have her permission. discuss it with her absolutely but you make it sound as if she's your master.

March 23, 2006 07:30 PM Forum: Refractors

meade

Posted By itz marcus

Hi Guys
Thanx for the advice. I think it's going to be the xt 4.5 and me and the little guy will wait until the price is right!!
Thanx
Clear Skies