New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: itz marcus

February 14, 2006 07:56 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

achromat into apo

Posted By itz marcus

Hi,
Other than chromacors which seem to be hard to come by, is there any other cost effective way (under $700) to get an achromat to perform like an apo. I've read about violet filters and understand that they don't do the job.
I have an etx 105 now which I like although for the right price I would part with it to finance a refractor.
I don't want to go higher than a 120mm refractor because of portability issues.
What concerns me is that I don't want to spend the $ on the refractor only to have 120mm of clear aperture lose out or even equal (due to chromatic abberation) the views of a mak 105 which has a central obstruction.
Thanx so much guys. I really appreciate all your constant replies even if I don't send it to each of you directly.
Clear Skies

February 15, 2006 05:45 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

refractor semi ed 127

Posted By itz marcus

Hi,
Does anyone know anything about antares refractors?
I've seen them for sale at kendriks website 127 mm f9.4 semi apo with eq 5 mount for 700 us dollars. also what's the deal with the mount is it anygood or not

Thanx again

February 20, 2006 07:22 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

meade apo/ vs orion

Posted By itz marcus

Hi,
Seems like Meade is putting out a new apo (127 mm triplet f7.5). What is Meade's track record on new products?
I had a really bad :C experience with the etx 105. It works great now, after 3 returns and a supercharge, but it was VERY frustrating sad to deal with Meade.
For that alone I'm willing to save and wait for Orion to come out with a 120mm ed(rather than save for a Meade) since they have a great customer service reputation.
I would only consider Meade because this scope seems to be a true apo.
Does anyone have an opinion about the quality of Meade as compared to Orion optics and Meades track record on new products?
Thanx

March 12, 2006 06:02 PM Forum: Refractors

burgess

Posted By itz marcus

Hi,
Does anyone know about the quality of Burgess?
I see a 127 achro on sale for 380 on astromart.
Thanx

March 19, 2006 08:34 AM Forum: Refractors

meade

Posted By itz marcus

Hi,
Need your advice again!
I promised my son a telescope. He's 8 years old.
Meade is selling a 70mm refractor (ngc 70) for about $60. I don't want to spend alot but dont want to buy junk.
Any opinions about the scope would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx

March 31, 2006 12:54 AM Forum: Refractors

orion 100mm ed

Posted By itz marcus

Hi,
OK here goes: Using my ep's with and w/o barlows I can achieve 35,50,60,70,90,100,120,180x. I live in light poisoned Brooklyn NY so I only have limited viewing. viewing was through an orion 100mm ed. Saturn was beautiful I saw the southern eq. belt and Cassini division very easily as well as several moons. Sirius and other stars were very nice and showed pinpoint patterns with 1 diffraction ring that I could see. I woke up at 3:30 a.m. to catch Jupiter and I believe I saw the grs at 120X
it was to the left of center on the lower belt at around 3:45 a.m. 45min to an hr later the grs was further left. Am I crazy or did I really see it ? It wasn't red but a big bulge was clearly noticible in the cloud belt. It was absolutely amazing. The mount is smooth and very easy to use and the focuser shows no shift and no shakes. That was last night

However, tonight I'm a little perplexed. The bright stars seemed to not be pinpoint but like little tiny plus signs. Coma :S ? My eyes sad ? Some other abberation? Please tell me NO.
Someone please let me know.

April 1, 2006 06:44 PM Forum: Refractors

rigel thru 100mm ed

Posted By itz marcus

Hi,
Just got the ed 100mm everything seems great.
Quick question is rigel a double? I saw a little star separated by the smallest fraction thru a 10mm sirius plossl
and a celestron 10mm sma. It wasn't an extension but was clearly separated. Am I crazy or correct? In case I got the wrong star name, it was the right corner star at the bottom of Orion, the separation was a little to the right on the bottom. If it's not a double does anyone have an idea as to what I saw? :C or maybe 8)
Clear Skies

April 2, 2006 08:25 PM Forum: Refractors

stars thru 100mm ed

Posted By itz marcus

Hi,
Ok guys bear with me!! Until now I had an etx 105 and used it on planets basically. Now I'm really enjoying multiple stars. I just want to know what's normal as I'm just leatning about my optics. Anyway, I split polaris at 60x.Is that expected?
Also at approx. what power are stars usually best looked at?
I find the view annoying at 180x. Does that make sense?
Thanx and sorry for the ignorant questions?
Clear Skies

April 5, 2006 08:53 PM Forum: Refractors

Saturn thru a 100mm ed

Posted By itz marcus

Hi,
I saw the Cassini Division thru a 100mm ed masked down to 60mm. Does that make sense. Unmasked Cassini was really visible as were what looked like four moons (though one was only visible with averted vision)
(april 5 9shockedo p.m. Brooklyn NY)
This is my first refractor and I'm trying to find out what is normal for the optics.
Please let me know
Thanx

April 6, 2006 09:38 PM Forum: Refractors

gso barlow

Posted By itz marcus

Hi,
Can anyone tell me about a gso 2x ed barlow?
Should I get it for 55 incl shipping or go for the klee 2.8x barlow like I had planned?
Thanx