New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: itz marcus

November 2, 2006 10:21 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

svp w/o diag.

Posted By itz marcus

Hi,
I enjoy straight thru viewing for it's better image but I also value my neck. I plan on ordering an svp mount extension which will add 16 inches of hieght. I have a WO 97 % reflective diag. which I could sell and get two UO orthos or so. Should I hang onto the diag or get rid of it since I'm getting the mount extension?
Thanx
P.S. I would still have my plain ole orion diag that came with the scope

November 2, 2006 10:22 AM Forum: Refractors

Diag or not

Posted By itz marcus

Hi,
I enjoy straight thru viewing for it's better image but I also value my neck. I plan on ordering an svp mount extension which will add 16 inches of hieght. I have a WO 97 % reflective diag. which I could sell and get two UO orthos or so. Should I hang onto the diag or get rid of it since I'm getting the mount extension?
Thanx
P.S. I would still have my plain ole orion diag that came with the scope

December 17, 2006 09:16 AM Forum: Refractors

Sigma orionis in a 100mm ed

Posted By itz marcus

Hi,
I just got back in from observing.
I saw Sigma Orionis and it was great I got a/b c d and e really clearly at 150x
I didn't try to go lower. I know that c is supossed to be hard (Left Turn at Orion) what is the lowest x that you've been able to see all 4 in a 4 inch refractor?
Clear Skies

February 1, 2007 11:23 AM Forum: Refractors

cheaper flourites

Posted By itz marcus

Hi,
I've posted this question before but here it is again in what I think is clearer language.
This is probably a silly question but here goes. From what I understand, one of the reasons that apo's cost so much is because the glass used is very expensive and much harder to make properly as the diameter increases. I was wondering, since three glasses are used in a triplet, why can't two of them be placed at the front end of the tube and the last one at the end of the tube. At the end of the tube the light cone is much smaller. When the cone reaches, say a diameter of 1inch, put a baffle there. Instead of leaving the center of the baffle empty place the expensive glass there and have it permenantly aligned with the front two elements. Since it hasn't been done (except with the chromacor, which needed constant alignment and is no longer sold because of that issue) I'm assuming that it can't. My question is why not?
Clear Skies
Itz

April 18, 2007 05:13 PM Forum: Telescope Making

making a binoscope

Posted By itz marcus

Hi,
This is probably a dumb question but here goes. I'd love a binoscope. I already own an ed 100. Inquiries as to what it would cost to buy another one and equipe as a binoscope came out to about $3000 not including the scope. I was wondering why can't one canabalize a high quality bino and use the prisms in the diagonals used for the scopes ? The prisms used in bino scopes look like binocular prisms anyway. For any extra in travel an oca used on binoviewers should be able to provide.
Thanx in advance

April 23, 2007 06:48 AM Forum: Binoviewers

diffraction limited bvers

Posted By itz marcus

Hi,
I've read somewhere (don't remember where) That no binocs (prisms) are diffraction limited. Is this true? and if so why is everyone who is into bving worried about the telescope being diffraction limited when the bv will throw it off? Better yet could the ptv of a bv be say 1/3 overcorrected be matched with a scope 1/3 wave undercorrected to get a null scope?
Clear Skies

October 31, 2007 07:13 AM Forum: Refractors

AP star 12ed

Posted By itz marcus

Hi,
Ok I know I'm gonna get stoned, drawn and quartered for asking this question but here goes.
I have about 3000 to 3200 to spend on a refractor. Should I go for a used star 12ed or (now I'll duck) a new orion 120 ed and save a 1000. I'm asking strictly visual I know I know and i know and I know again that the AP will totally wipe the floor in the mechanics department. My question is will this older AP outperform a very good sample (I can make sure that I get a very good one)of the Orion 120 ed.

December 13, 2007 06:51 AM Forum: Refractors

what to get

Posted By itz marcus

Hi,
I currently own an ed 100 which I really enjoy using but I would like to get some more aperture. I need advice/opinions. my budget is about $3000. I do love refractors and am thinking about a Tak fs 128. For much less I can get an ed 120. Worse mechanics but if bought from a place like Company Seven or ITE then I can be assured that it will match optically with the best (I think).
I live in Brppklyn for most of the year but during the summer I go upstate to the catskill region thus I can really enjoy DSO's for about 2 months a year (15-25) viewing sessions). Would a larger aperture Mak Cass from Intes Micro or a Tak Mewlon 210 be a better choice for me?
It has a small CO (25%) but a long f ratio not making it great for DSO's but great for planets which is what I get most of the year.
I can't keep the ed 100
Question questions...
Well what do I do?????? grin grin :S :S

December 16, 2007 12:40 PM Forum: Maksutovs

IM 715,703 or Tak mewlon 180

Posted By itz marcus

Well the title says it. What would you go for?
My observing habits are planets, doubles, globs and nebulae (orion, dumbell, ring, swan ..) I do not go much for galaxies for at 7 inches it will still be a faint fuzzy.
The longer fl of the 715 will be very good for the planets and (I think) that for the dso's that I go for the small fov should still be good.
The Tak has a shorter fl but has a spider I think that the co is similar to the 715.
What do you guys have to say?
Thanx

January 18, 2008 06:52 AM Forum: Maksutovs

help

Posted By itz marcus

Hi,
I made a big boo boo. I sold my ed 100 to fund a m715.
My mistake was that I sold it before I got my new scope.
I haven't observed now for three weeks.
HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP