New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: itz marcus

May 12, 2009 02:07 PM Forum: Refractors

EON 120 on an svp mount

Posted By itz marcus

Hi,
I'm gonna ramble a bit so bear with me please.
I have the EON 120 on an svp mount. I find it adequate much of the time but it does shake during breezes at high powers (225+ sometimes making it annoying even on nights when the seeing will support the power). Should I consider upgrading to a Sirius/cg5/lxd75 mount or would upgrading the tripod to two inch legs do the trick. I use anti vibration pads already The two inch legs is the much cheaper option and would leave me $ to upgrade to a denk bv.
So, in a nutshell am I the only one who experiences that the EON 120 is pushing the svp's limit or could it be something wrong with my mount? Am I oversensitive and this is to be expected of just any mount. Also, is it possible to have to much weight on the counterweight side (I currently use 2 weights about 17 lb total)
Thanx in advance
Clear Skies
Itz

May 14, 2009 04:43 PM Forum: Refractors

scratches

Posted By itz marcus

Hi,
No I don't have on mine thank heaven!!!!
What I want to know is why are refractor owners so nervous that cleaning will introduce microscopic scratches when all posts seem to indicate that such scratches do not degrade the image at all? In that other fobidden forum (reflectors)I have read many a time that these small scratches in the mirror do zero to the image. So, Why all the fuss and why is it such a nightmare?
Clear skies
Itz

July 8, 2009 07:56 PM Forum: Refractors

eye placement in the 120 ed

Posted By itz marcus

hi,
Am I the only one that finds that eye placement is pretty important when viewing through the ed 120 or have others found the same as well? When my eye is a little to the side of the view hole the star in view shows some ca and flaring (Airy disc is still clearly visible). When my eye is placed right where it should be then it basically goes away. It is annoying because sometimes it is hard to position the eye just so. In addition I find this more with orange stars (Arcturus) than with others. Another point that may factor in is that when using my 5mm ortho (the one where this happens the most) one can see a few spots over the glass as the UNFOCUSED star illuminates the field. I have tried cleaning the ep to no avail.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

August 24, 2009 05:21 PM Forum: Refractors

EON 120 and black smudge near grs

Posted By itz marcus

Hi,
I noticed something like a black dot right next to the GRS at 11:45P.M.
I know I may be jumping bec. of the impact on Jupiter but I really saw something on the right sight of the GRS (right side in my diagonal).
Clear Skies
Itz

September 22, 2009 03:02 AM Forum: Refractors

EON 120 what a scope

Posted By itz marcus

Hi,
Once again I"ll post on Jup. and a prominent double as it is about all I can get here in my Brooklyn backyard. I was able to get the GRS clearly as an oval cream clolored spot not just a hollow at 70x (12.5 UO ortho) I probably could've gotten it at lower mag but I don't have any lower power ep except a 23mm stellarvue wich gives 38x and it didn't show in that one.
I have seen the grs before at that power (70x)but never the actual spot separated from the hollow at that power. It was always a clearly oval bulge in the band and below (in the diag.) but not more at 70x. This night I got it all and seeing is not that great. Don't know why I got it in this seeing but I guess you do get to see a heck of a lot more with more hours put in behind the ep.
The double double was great. Four Airy discs with the slightest diff ring (at 163x (meade 5k 5.5mm)).
I didn't try lower last night.
Even though I don't have "much behind a lot of different scope experience" and even though I know you all know my feelings on this scope I'll say it again:
THIS SCOPE STAYS!!!!! 8)
(unless it's to trade for an EON 150 grin )
Clear Skies
Itz

September 22, 2009 03:20 PM Forum: Refractors

crazy way of viewing thru the eon

Posted By itz marcus

Hi,
Call me crazy (I may be so don't worry). Last night I got tired of keeping one eye closed so I just opened both eyes.
Sure my left eye was seeing other stuff but what was in the ep was just floating around . It actually looked like it was outside the ep. It was one of the wierdest experiences. Anyway, maybe because my eyes were relaxed, but what was seen was clearer and sharper than when one eye was closed. This was so even though the left eye was not being used at all in the viewing of the planet.
I wasn't like using a binoviewer, of course, since then you are using both eyes but the relaxed feeling was certainly the same.
Has anyone tried this and have your results been similar?
Clear Skies
Itz

October 7, 2009 05:06 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

bv dropped and is not collimated now

Posted By itz marcus

Is there anyway to collimate a stellarvue bv3 or do I have to send it back to Vic for recollimation?
clear skies sad sad

October 7, 2009 05:07 PM Forum: Binoviewers

bv's dropped can they be collimated?

Posted By itz marcus

sad sad Is there anyway to collimate a stellarvue bv3 or do I have to send it back to Vic for recollimation?
clear skies

October 12, 2009 05:11 PM Forum: Refractors

my eyes+ eon 120+transit=CRAZY????????

Posted By itz marcus

Hi,
Is there any possibility that I caught the actual moon and not just the shadow? Here is what I saw at 8:00/8:10 p.m. The shadow was just coming into view a bit to the left (in my diagonal past the meridian of jupiter there wasa barely perceptible white/beige something. I won't say it was a striking disc as it was more of a circular smudge. Again it was between the eq bands with the transit shadow at the edge of the planet and the smudge on the opposite site bet the meridian and the terminator (?) of the planet.
I don't even know if an actual moon is possible in a mid size refractor but heck even if it wasn't the moon it was something that I don't think I ever saw before.
Clear Skies
Itz

October 18, 2009 08:01 AM Forum: Binoviewers

Black Knight (22mm) vs Denk standard/Earthwin

Posted By itz marcus

Hi,
Does anyone know the optical quality (1/4 wave, 1/8 wave etc) of the Siebert Black knight 22mm ca Binoviewers. Also has anyone compared them to the Denk standards or Eathwins?
I know that the ca is smaller on the Siebert but other than that is the optical quality in the same league?
Clear Skies
Itz