My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: James McSheehy

January 26, 2013 04:16 PM Forum: Global Warming - REAL or NOT

Anti AGW Hits Keep on Coming

Posted By James McSheehy

I live at the edge of a climate zone where its possible to cultivate apricots. They are hardy trees, but the fruit is notoriously susceptible to late freezes. If a warming trend was occurring, I'd have bushels of fruit every July. In the past ten years, we've had one decent harvest, in 2003, nothing since.

January 27, 2013 05:34 PM Forum: Politics

The Americans with No Abilities Act

Posted By James McSheehy

LoL! -- worthy of The Onion.

There you go, giving them ideas! 8O

February 1, 2013 03:43 AM Forum: Politics

I dare ya'

Posted By James McSheehy

"easy access to unreasonably powerful weapons"?

Lanza murdered his Mother to get to the weapons stored in her safe. Oh yes, easy access...

This father's loss is tragic, as is the loss of any innocent child's life. Someone should interview the parents of children killed when one of our Predator drones gets a "target" on the secret Kill List. Oh wait, their deaths are the unfortunate byproduct of policies written by sane, responsible people, and besides those kids live far away and speak a different language, so who cares, right?

This media circus is sickening, and more laws added to the existing laws will do nothing because the problems we face are not caused by guns.

February 1, 2013 03:23 PM Forum: Religion

God & the WOW signal from SETI

Posted By James McSheehy

God's greatest gift after life itself is consciousness. Through conscious thought we mortals have access to the boundless and interconnected worlds of mathematics, science, and art.

It always struck me as odd that so many on AMart focus intensely on the gadgets and techniques used to observe the Creator's vision, and at the same time they are openly hostile to any suggestion that this hobby has a spiritual component.

February 2, 2013 05:04 PM Forum: ASTRONOMY

Shuttle Flight Director on Columbia Disaster

Posted By James McSheehy

During the last flight of Columbia I remember seeing a newspaper photo taken by astronaut Ilan Ramon. The shot was looking out one of the windows and it showed the leading edge of a wing. There was some kind of mark or deformity on the wing, and I find it hard to believe that the crew was unaware of it -- they had to know that something might be amiss.

The communication link to shuttles was encrypted, so we may never know the full extent of the conversations that took place between the crew and mission control. They were all professionals and knew the risks, does anyone believe they were kept in the dark until the end?

February 5, 2013 02:38 AM Forum: Politics

Wash Post: Impeach Obo?

Posted By James McSheehy

The government officials living in the walled city known as Washington DC no longer concern themselves with your quaint, Roy Rogers notions of laws and equality of justice. From the President, to leaders of the House and Senate, to the Federal Reserve, there are no deadlines or limits anymore for their activities. Rather than hang separately, they've all decided to hang together.

February 5, 2013 05:41 PM Forum: Politics

"Death Panels and Sales Taxes Is How We Do This"

Posted By James McSheehy

Think about those remarks the next time you go to a hospital for treatment and the first question they ask is "What is your birth date?". If you answer with only the month and day, they usually snap "what year?".

Of course none of this is related to the fact that older people place a greater burden on the already unsustainable system. No, it's just a useful means to reduce errors... 8)

February 8, 2013 01:52 AM Forum: Politics

And i thought New York's new law was nuts.....

Posted By James McSheehy

I hope the idiots in Denver open that can of worms. Once the legal precedent is set, almost any "dangerous" product will be fair game for lawyers going after the deepest pockets. Watch as businesses flee the state and tax revenues dry up. Couldnt happen to a nicer bunch -- lol! 8)

February 10, 2013 05:43 AM Forum: Politics

Things just got REAL......

Posted By James McSheehy

A cynic might say it's just a DHS cointelpro, a honeypot to collect IP addresses. Anonymous needs to step up their game or they will lose credibility. Given the current state of media blindness, will any of this make a dent? Are we that far gone? Here is a different perspective by Sheldon Wolin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverted_totalitarianism

A totalitarian government yes, but fully supported by a majority of "citizens" living fat and happy under the illusion that government serves their interests and respects their votes. The full implementation will take another decade or more, but who's in any hurry?

February 11, 2013 07:21 PM Forum: Politics

The secret war behind Benghazi

Posted By James McSheehy

The collected sociopaths are now circling their wagons with the knowledge that the Press will investigate nothing, the general public knows nothing, and besides AT THIS POINT WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE!!

R.I.P. the Republic.