My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: James McSheehy

August 27, 2013 09:01 PM Forum: Politics

Stay Out Of Syria

Posted By James McSheehy

Yes, we should stay out, but will we? Politics makes strange bedfellows, and our geopolitical actions of late make no sense given the administration's public statements and explanations. Here is a look at what some are calling "The New Great Game", and it dates back to the birth of the EU and the rebirth of Russian influence over a decade ago:

http://www.theburningplatform.com/?p=59711

Like the original Great Game, Russia and her allies are pitted against an Anglo coalition now headed by the U.S. Everything old is new again, and this ain't b-ball. Obama is unwittingly (?) and oh-so ironically following a neocon strategy that could end another empire.

August 31, 2013 06:17 PM Forum: Politics

Key Republican Senators On Syria

Posted By James McSheehy

Rod Kaufman said:

Nothing short of total regime change satisfies them...
McCain and Graham. Who else?
http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/31/world/syria-developments/index.html?hpt=hp_t1
Regime change, then who? Gotta spread that democracy across the middle east...

Two heads of the same snake.

August 31, 2013 08:07 PM Forum: Politics

"Let Allah Sort It Out"

Posted By James McSheehy

Rod Kaufman said:

As per Sarah Palin:
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-sarah-palin-on-syria-let-allah-work-it-out-20130831,0,5761045.story

She makes more sense than any of the nonsense from Carney or that blonde ditz at the State Department. Since the duhcider-in-chief is busy painting red lines, I wonder what he will do about this:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/05/05/us-syria-crisis-un-idUSBRE94409Z20130505

"U.N. human rights investigators have gathered testimony from casualties of Syria's civil war and medical staff indicating that rebel forces have used the nerve agent sarin, one of the lead investigators said on Sunday."

Yeah, let Allah sort it out. 8)

September 1, 2013 09:04 AM Forum: Politics

What Did They Know...?

Posted By James McSheehy

This report, like most of the narratives we're fed, makes little sense. Assad has the upper hand, so why would he suddenly launch an attack that is both stupid and indicates desperation? Why would Obama withhold warning of the attack as even a few hours notice could have saved lives? Like Benghazi, the fairy-tale explanation we've been handed from this administration is an insult to anyone of average intelligence.

September 6, 2013 07:38 PM Forum: Politics

Another Record Month For Obama's Economy

Posted By James McSheehy

Who needs a job anymore? Claim that you bring in $250 a week (EBT and other handouts count towards the total) and Government Motors will sell you a Chevy Cruz. Just sign on the line that is dotted.

Wait, it gets better. Are ya pullin' in da big bucks wid a 29 hour, full time job? Hey bro, a sweet Cadillac car awaits, and 97 month financing to knock da bricks off yo payment!

It's all good in Summer of Recovery # 4! 8)

September 8, 2013 01:38 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Imaging: What's the Point?

Posted By James McSheehy

Ah yes, one of my fond memories at Astrofest in ‘98 was the guy camped next to me loudly cursing at his laptop while his wife tried to calm him down. On the field we also had some visual snobs that screamed bloody murder when a guy dared to open his car door and the dome light came on -- never mind the fact that a bright crescent Moon was still 20 degrees above the horizon!

Lots of weird, neurotic people in this hobby, and other than public outreach events, I prefer to observe and image alone.

September 9, 2013 04:14 PM Forum: Refractors

Refractor below zero

Posted By James McSheehy

Rowland Hamly said:

I am going to using a refractor with temps below zero. What effect will the temperature have on the scope? Should I use dew heaters? Etc..Etc...rowland

The glass doesn't care as long as the temperature changes (especially cooling) are gradual. It would be a big mistake to uncap a room-temperature lens at -5F. The design of the metal lens cell is also important, some can handle extreme temperatures, and others will deform or pinch the lens.

Dew heaters are a good idea if the dew point is within 15F of the ambient temperature. If you bring the scope inside a heated space after observing, keep it in its case or wrap it so it warms gradually. A cold lens will frost over instantly in a warm heated space.