My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: James McSheehy

December 22, 2009 10:50 AM Forum: Global Warming - REAL or NOT

Re: Cure for Global Warming found!

Posted By James McSheehy

The volcanic eruption of Mt. Pinatubo in the 1990s did exactly what they are proposing. Billions of tons of sulfur oxides, particulates, etc. directly into the stratosphere.

December 23, 2009 12:13 PM Forum: Refractors

Holographic Corrector for CA?

Posted By James McSheehy

My wife cam home yesterday from a shopping trip and one of the little chatchkas in her haul was a paper thin magnifying glass. It caught my eye because it was literally as thin as a piece of paper, but acted just like a double convex lens when placed over objects. I'm guessing it's made from a hologram of an actual lens and I wonder if the same priciple could be used in a telescope objective.

Could the various aberrations of an achromatic doublet be canceled with a thin holographic element placed in an oil space between two elements?

December 26, 2009 10:02 AM Forum: Politics

Who is Barack Obama?

Posted By James McSheehy

One of the better looks at Mr. Obama's Presidency and his governing style:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/26/opinion/26douthat.html?_r=2&ref=opinion

During the campaigns he was seen by many of his supporters as a transformational figure. The reality after one year is quite different, and a lot of Democrats are going to pay for it next November. He fooled the lefties, many independents, and even a few conservatives as they saw in him whatever they wanted to believe.

December 29, 2009 06:05 AM Forum: Politics

Dave Barry and the Appalachian Trail Fest in DC

Posted By James McSheehy

Dave Barry reviews 2009 -- LOL:

http://www.miamiherald.com/living/columnists/dave-barry/v-fullstory/story/1397654.html

December 30, 2009 07:22 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

How many are planning to move & where to?

Posted By James McSheehy

It's no secret that a lot of the folks in amateur astronomy have some gray hair, and more than a few will be looking at retirement in 5-10 years. How many of you have moved or are planning a move to a place with better skies? Would you consider emigrating to another country to pursue this hobby even if it meant a significant change in your lifestyle?

January 12, 2010 09:15 AM Forum: Politics

Can we rename this forum-Palin's weewee club?

Posted By James McSheehy

There must be a lot of sticky keyboards out there among the "progressives" who are posting non-stop about Sarah Palin. What else could explain their obsession with this woman?

Let's give them their own forum where they can share the love/hate drama undisturbed by any rational discussions. 8)

January 12, 2010 11:16 AM Forum: Politics

So, how are we doin'?

Posted By James McSheehy

Some news on the TARP bailouts, you know, the ones we were told were 100% necessary. Treasury officials also assured us the funds would eventually be repaid at a profit to taxpayers:

"The December report for the Troubled Asset Relief Program, or TARP, showed that the fiscal 2009 net loss included estimated losses of $30.4 billion for AIG and $30.4 billion for automakers, with $27.1 billion in losses from the Home Affordable Modification Program.

These were much larger than a $15 billion profit registered from the Capital Purchase Program for banks and $4.4 billion in profits from other bank investments, asset guarantee and lending programs."

January 16, 2010 10:32 AM Forum: Home Observatories

What's the seeing at your observatory?

Posted By James McSheehy

One of the things we can't control is the weather, and when we do have a clear, transparent night, seeing moves to the top of the list. So what is the average seeing at your permanent observatory? Are there significant seasonal variations?

Here is the Pickering scale (1-10) for reference:
http://www.damianpeach.com/pickering.htm

I live in a valley about 20 miles from the Colorado/Utah border and the average seeing here is 3-4 on the Pickering scale.

February 3, 2010 05:10 PM Forum: Star Parties

Colorado West Star Party 2010

Posted By James McSheehy

If you're planning to be in western Colorado or eastern Utah the second week of June, please take a look:

http://www.wcacastronomy.org/SP10_registration.pdf

Other events throughout the year:

http://www.wcacastronomy.org/page6.html

March 14, 2010 07:53 AM Forum: Camping and Outdoors

Big Bend NP in the Fall

Posted By James McSheehy

Sometime after Labor Day we're planning a family get together at Big Bend National Park way down in south Texas. I have brothers scattered around the country and we haven't seen each other in way too long. This seemed like a good place to meet since none of us had been to Big Bend before -- my interest in astronomy had nothing to do with picking it -- really! 8)

Have any of you been down there recently? All dos, don'ts, and must-see suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

TIA